Not happy sugar is being promoted in our junior school in a morbibly obese area.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Why why why???

Why is our local school promoting cake eating to help finance cancer charity?

I'm so angry that the head was delighted to promote sugar loaded cakes, to residents in a morbibly obese area of the UK.

I appreciate McMillian is a great charity but why sugar?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally agree. I can’t understand why McMillan continue to do this when sugar contributes to many cancers. I hated when our school did the same. It doesn’t matter if it’s an obese area or not, it just doesn’t seem to make sense.

I did go to one coffee morning which had a book sale instead and games like guess the number of sprinkles on the cake (picture). You paid for a go and there was a prize. Much better I thought.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I totally agree. I can’t understand why McMillan continue to do this when sugar contributes to many cancers. I hated when our school did the same. It doesn’t matter if it’s an obese area or not, it just doesn’t seem to make sense.

I did go to one coffee morning which had a book sale instead and games like guess the number of sprinkles on the cake (picture). You paid for a go and there was a prize. Much better I thought.
I will be asking for an appointment to see her once I'm recovered from my current illness. If refused I will email her and CC governors. I'm very angry about it. My 6yr old was told by me of his toy gift at home to get him away from it all.
Bad HEAD skills, I feel.

Reactions: jjraak and Flora123

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Schools in our area have cakes sales for almost anything. Yet if kids bring in a packed lunch anything on the banned list gets taken out . If a child has free school meals they get a jam sandwich and an apple .

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Schools in our area have cakes sales for almost anything. Yet if kids bring in a packed lunch anything on the banned list gets taken out . If a child has free school meals they get a jam sandwich and an apple .
Similar story here.

Reactions: jjraak

mouseee

There are probably far more choices for school meals. I work in school. Hot or cold choices. School meal pack up - Always a roll but never jam. Cheese, ham or tuna. A savoury treat and a homemade biscuit or jelly. They always have to have a salad option available for all children and they have to offer meals that meet nutritional requirements.

That doesn't mean children will choose to eat them though!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry if I misunderstand. Children in the school who are eligible for free school meals get a jam sandwich and an apple?!?!

That was an emergency meal In our primary school if a child turned up without a packed lunch as the school. had an obligation to see no child went hungry.

Bclunie_

I’ve relocated back to Scotland after living down south all my adult life. I am horrified to see school kids leaving at lunch time and hitting the shops for sugary snacks, chips and burgers. Last week I saw a young boy walking home eating a pack of iced donuts. Have we taught these kids nothing

Nondipoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I will be asking for an appointment to see her once I'm recovered from my current illness. If refused I will email her and CC governors. I'm very angry about it. My 6yr old was told by me of his toy gift at home to get him away from it all.
Bad HEAD skills, I feel.
I think it is just ignorance by those in authority of the way diabetes is caused. It is about time we gave the a lesson on the amount of sugar that is in the food that children eat and point out that they do not need to be encouraged to eat extra sugar by having cakes. It is of course possible to make low carb sugar free cakes, so perhaps schools could suggest this and provide suitable recipes instead. Unless a school has a diabetic child the subject is unlikely to have been brought up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think it is just ignorance by those in authority of the way diabetes is caused. It is about time we gave the a lesson on the amount of sugar that is in the food that children eat and point out that they do not need to be encouraged to eat extra sugar by having cakes. It is of course possible to make low carb sugar free cakes, so perhaps schools could suggest this and provide suitable recipes instead. Unless a school has a diabetic child the subject is unlikely to have been brought up.
I offered almond flour cakes but was reminded of the letter with bold letters stating no nut products. All others could label their ingredients.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Re jam sandwiches, when the local council outsourced school dinners in one area I lived in it went from a cooked meal to rolls provided by a local pub. A white roll, marg, ham or a presliced bit of cheese and a slice of tomato. Plus a packet of crisps, and an apple or orange - sometimes substituted by a smaller hotel size pack of biscuits although they were 'supposed' to supply fruit. The portions were so small that older children were left hungry.
Lots of parents protested, and the pub owner got 'offended' by the criticism.
The amount of carbs and bad fats probably makes it even worse than a jam sandwich?

Reactions: jjraak

TheBunyip

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, you are not alone in wanting to see something done about the Sugar Assault that children face. At this years Public Health Collaboration UK conference I came across a new charity set up to tackle issues such as the ones you are concerned about.

"The Rewards Project has been set up by a group of dentists, doctors, nutritionists and psychologists driven to improve the health and wellbeing of children."

They have a couple of surveys available on line. Completing the schools survey will produce a report on how to improve things. With luck it should "wake up" uninformed teachers about the damage they are doing unwittingly.

Take a look at the Rewards Project web site and see if they might be able to help with at least some of the problem. As a new contributor to the forum I cannot post the link. Try joining the two (lower case) words that make up the name of the charity and follow that with a dot and then org.

Best wishes with your efforts to do the right thing for your children. Please persevere you know how important it is to children if they are to avoid insulin resistance and T2D.

Reactions: Goonergal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for creating this thread, @ickihun . The dietary thinking at my daughters school is diabolical. The poor kids are like “apprentice T2 diabetics”. Ultimately I would like to see change. Maybe once the authorities get their heads around lchf for T2 diabetics they will then understand why feeding our kids carbs all the time is unacceptable.

Reactions: AloeSvea

My grandson’s school does have a little girl with type 1 diabetes but nothing has changed because of this.
My grandson, aged 6, is tall for his age and overweight, due, I feel to school meals as my daughter is conscious of what he eats at home and ensures he gets lots of regular exercise such as long walks and swimming. A typical school meal (Leicestershire): pizza, baked beans and “happy” faces (fried potato shapes) followed by chocolate sponge and chocolate sauce or fried fish, peas and chips followed by ice cream on Fridays. I suspect chips are deep fried and not the healthier oven baked variety. They never seem to be offered sweet potatoes, baked or fried. His meals at school are loaded with carbohydrates: pasta, jacket potatoes, mashed potatoes, chips etc and frequently these are served with other carbs such as pastry or pizza base. This is not a balanced meal! Every single day there is a choice of cake or a biscuit. If there are healthier options, no advice or help in choosing a healthy meal seems to be offered to these very young children and I feel they cannot really be expected to know much about nutrition at such a young age. They don’t seem to be offered yogurt or much in the way of fresh fruit. Often dessert is cheese and biscuits with grapes. My grandson will choose this but has only had grapes twice in two and a half years!?? He is picky (only child) and my daughter struggles to get him to eat some vegetables but if he has something like pizza at home (small individual one) he is served carrot and cucumber sticks along side - not grease and carb loaded ‘happy’ faces! My daughter has thought about packed lunches, but at his age these meals are free and all his class eat them (my grandson is not the only one who is overweight) and she feels he’d be the only child eating a packed lunch. The one good thing is that the children at my grandson’s school walk and run the ‘daily mile’ most days.
My other daughter (four children) complains that school meals encourages children to expect a sweet treat after their meals and they will often ask for ‘dessert’ after eating a meal at home.
I think school meals vary according to which LEA you child’s school is in, maybe there should be some standardisation? I feel these meals should be looked at nutritionally on a national level or we are just storing up trouble (and expense for NHS) for the future.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandson’s school does have a little girl with type 1 diabetes but nothing has changed because of this.
My grandson, aged 6, is tall for his age and overweight, due, I feel to school meals as my daughter is conscious of what he eats at home and ensures he gets lots of regular exercise such as long walks and swimming. A typical school meal (Leicestershire): pizza, baked beans and “happy” faces (fried potato shapes) followed by chocolate sponge and chocolate sauce or fried fish, peas and chips followed by ice cream on Fridays. I suspect chips are deep fried and not the healthier oven baked variety. They never seem to be offered sweet potatoes, baked or fried. His meals at school are loaded with carbohydrates: pasta, jacket potatoes, mashed potatoes, chips etc and frequently these are served with other carbs such as pastry or pizza base. This is not a balanced meal! Every single day there is a choice of cake or a biscuit. If there are healthier options, no advice or help in choosing a healthy meal seems to be offered to these very young children and I feel they cannot really be expected to know much about nutrition at such a young age. They don’t seem to be offered yogurt or much in the way of fresh fruit. Often dessert is cheese and biscuits with grapes. My grandson will choose this but has only had grapes twice in two and a half years!?? He is picky (only child) and my daughter struggles to get him to eat some vegetables but if he has something like pizza at home (small individual one) he is served carrot and cucumber sticks along side - not grease and carb loaded ‘happy’ faces! My daughter has thought about packed lunches, but at his age these meals are free and all his class eat them (my grandson is not the only one who is overweight) and she feels he’d be the only child eating a packed lunch. The one good thing is that the children at my grandson’s school walk and run the ‘daily mile’ most days.
My other daughter (four children) complains that school meals encourages children to expect a sweet treat after their meals and they will often ask for ‘dessert’ after eating a meal at home.
I think school meals vary according to which LEA you child’s school is in, maybe there should be some standardisation? I feel these meals should be looked at nutritionally on a national level or we are just storing up trouble (and expense for NHS) for the future.
Totally agree. It is very similar here where I live.