Headaches

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started LCHF two weeks ago, have shed a few pounds already (8lb-ish), peed a lot and generally felt okay. Until about 5 days ago when I started getting headaches. I checked the Forum and upped my water and salt intake, now drink a mug or two of Bouillon a day. However I can't seem to shake it off. A suggestion was to take an electrolyte supplement which I started yesterday (High 5 Zero Protect), with nil calories, nil sugar, etc. And I still woke this morning with a headache. It's like a mild hangover without the great night out beforehand!

So, is this a passing phase, something I have to fight through? Or can it be alleviated by some other means. I check my BG most days. Week 1 my fasting BG started at 6.2 and finished the week at 5.4 (average 5.8), Week 2 fasting average is 5.3, so I guess I'm on the right path. I track my food intake and carbs is about 10%, with fat and protein equal at around 45% each. Would upping my fat intake help with the headaches, or simply to get more 'salt'. Any opinions would be appreciated, as It's no fun any more! Cheers.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I started LCHF two weeks ago, have shed a few pounds already (8lb-ish), peed a lot and generally felt okay. Until about 5 days ago when I started getting headaches. I checked the Forum and upped my water and salt intake, now drink a mug or two of Bouillon a day. However I can't seem to shake it off. A suggestion was to take an electrolyte supplement which I started yesterday (High 5 Zero Protect), with nil calories, nil sugar, etc. And I still woke this morning with a headache. It's like a mild hangover without the great night out beforehand!

So, is this a passing phase, something I have to fight through? Or can it be alleviated by some other means. I check my BG most days. Week 1 my fasting BG started at 6.2 and finished the week at 5.4 (average 5.8), Week 2 fasting average is 5.3, so I guess I'm on the right path. I track my food intake and carbs is about 10%, with fat and protein equal at around 45% each. Would upping my fat intake help with the headaches, or simply to get more 'salt'. Any opinions would be appreciated, as It's no fun any more! Cheers.

I am not an expert in this area but it might be what some people term 'carb flu'. If you're going to get it, then it will probably last a couple of weeks.

You can look for other threads by using the search bar at the top of the page and you will see that it crops up now and then.

If the symptoms persist beyond a couple of weeks then I'd advise seeking a medical opinion.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe give a few more days to see how the electrolyte supplement works. Also some keto people suggest supplementing with magnesium as well if not getting enough from food sources, seems to help me sleep better and deal with leg cramps, but maybe it could do something for headaches.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say 45% fat, 45% protein, are you talking Energy?
Because if so, that is a lot of protein.

Normal keto macros are usually in the region of 5-10% carb, 15-25% protein, and the rest anywhere from 70-80% fat.

I must admit that if I ate that your stated levels of fat and protein, I would get a very claggy heavy dull feeling, probably headaches, and would feel rough - and I am primarily carnivore! :)

Try taking your protein down and your fat up, drink lots, add salt, and see where you are in a day or two.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a possibility that the headache is unrelated to your diet. Quite a few friends and family are complaining of headaches which they assume is a bug they have caught. Fortunately I am not suffering from it myself but I seem to be the only one.

Reactions: Brunneria

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say 45% fat, 45% protein, are you talking Energy?
Because if so, that is a lot of protein.

Normal keto macros are usually in the region of 5-10% carb, 15-25% protein, and the rest anywhere from 70-80% fat.

I must admit that if I ate that your stated levels of fat and protein, I would get a very claggy heavy dull feeling, probably headaches, and would feel rough - and I am primarily carnivore! :)

Try taking your protein down and your fat up, drink lots, add salt, and see where you are in a day or two.
Thanks for your reply. I must admit I obviously didn't do my research well enough. My figures were based on the amount I ate each day, not calories. Having checked and found Carbs & Protein are 4 Calories per gram and Fat is 9 Calories per gram, I recalculated my daily intake as Calories. Over the last couple of weeks, my average daily intake by Calories is: Carbs 7%, Protein 28%, Fat 65%. I guess that's more in line with what I should be eating. So thanks Brunneria for putting me right.

Reactions: Brunneria

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a possibility that the headache is unrelated to your diet. Quite a few friends and family are complaining of headaches which they assume is a bug they have caught. Fortunately I am not suffering from it myself but I seem to be the only one.
To be honest, I've had a dry, bordering on sore, throat also. I put it down to having switched the central heating on a week or so ago. Perhaps it is a bug!