BG while on prednisolone (steroid) help

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm currently on prednisolone 20mg after surgery and I'm struggling to get my bg down. I have increased my levimir from 6units to 9units, and my novorapid carb ratio from 1unit per 5carbs to 1unit to 3carbs.
From around lunch to midnight I'm high (spikes of upto 14mmol , but mostly in about 10mmol, never going under 8mmol) takeing correction doses seems to do nothing. It's been like this a week now and I can't seem to get it under control.
Would love advise.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Steroids are known to push up numbers. Do the spikes come down again in which case insulin timing may help? Or stay high where further dose adjusting may be needed.

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Steroids are known to push up numbers. Do the spikes come down again in which case insulin timing may help? Or stay high where further dose adjusting may be needed.

Spikes come down after about an hour (and are generally caused by eating but sometimes I have no idea of the cause) when the spike has lowered I'll flat line in the 9's/10's for hours , even if I take correction shots

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on steriods while I was having chemo and before I had back surgery , I found I had to increase my Basel by 5 times and double my bolus to keep my bg,s normal, although we are all different, so it is trial and error to start with with many blood tests, I hope you get your blood sugars back to normal soon

Wojciechu

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm currently on prednisolone 20mg after surgery and I'm struggling to get my bg down. I have increased my levimir from 6units to 9units, and my novorapid carb ratio from 1unit per 5carbs to 1unit to 3carbs.
From around lunch to midnight I'm high (spikes of upto 14mmol , but mostly in about 10mmol, never going under 8mmol) takeing correction doses seems to do nothing. It's been like this a week now and I can't seem to get it under control.
Would love advise.

You may want to ditch carbs for the duration of your steroid treatment. It certainly would help your bg levels.

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You may want to ditch carbs for the duration of your steroid treatment. It certainly would help your bg levels.

Hmm definitely something to think about, thanks , I'm a very fussy eater and am after losing a lot of weight so I'm trying to gain at the moment. I don't think I'd be able to cut carbs out totally but could cut down.

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was on steriods while I was having chemo and before I had back surgery , I found I had to increase my Basel by 5 times and double my bolus to keep my bg,s normal, although we are all different, so it is trial and error to start with with many blood tests, I hope you get your blood sugars back to normal soon

I felt like I had already increased alot, so good to know others have had to increase alot aswell. Will probably have to up mine more.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't forget lots of bg,s tests if you are not on the libre it might be a good time to ask to be put on it

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankfully I have a dexcom G4 so I can see exactly what's happening with my bg
Screenshot_20191116-100440__01.jpg
Screenshot_20191116-100753__01.jpg

Normally my levels are very good so I'm not sure how much I should worry about this. Like is it possible to get the same level of control while on steroids.. or how much damage would I be doing if this is the best I can control them for the next 3 months till I'm off steroids.