Diabetics R Us

D

Deleted member 308541

I had a good relationship with the local Mormon community getting the films to read.
I have heard that Seventh Day Adventist Archives are an excellent source of material as well.

My youngest niece has done / is doing the family trees on both sides of the family.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't trusted the Mormons' records ever since I saw that they had my grandmother married to her brother-in-law and her sister married to my grandfather! :eek:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tipetoo I'm interested in learning about the Seventh Day Adventists' records. I'd never heard of those records before but I used to have a good friend who was a Seventh Day Adventist. I will Google their records. :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found their transcribed records full of inaccuracies. You used to be able to order their microfich films and view them in centres. I understand they have changed things now but not used them since.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah the Pentrich Revolution it was all Oliver and Lord Sidmouth.

The weavers and miners of Derbyshire were provoked into it and then treated so harshly very sad.

Indeed it was the Pentrich uprising. My ancestor was George Weightman, a sawyer by trade. His mother was Nancy Bacon, landlady of the White Horse Inn in Pentrich where many of the meetings of the insurgents were held. Afterwards, the King's Hussars raided the village. She had her licence revoked and the pub was pulled to the ground. Her brother was also transported for life. George Weightman was one of the four leaders. The other three were hanged, their heads cut off and held aloft by their hair. The Weightmans were forced out of the village by the rest of the population. One or two remained, but the rest fled to places such as Alfreton and South Normanton. Even though this all happened in 1817, my mother (maiden name Weightman) knew someone in the family had been transported following this uprising, but had no other details.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found their transcribed records full of inaccuracies. You used to be able to order their microfich films and view them in centres. I understand they have changed things now but not used them since.

I agree. I have never trusted them. What annoyed me was they still "dig up the dead" and baptise them into the Latter Day Saints religion, even though they had dug up the wrong person.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know. One minute you are sitting on your cloud, be it Protestant, Catholic, whatever
Then poof, you are a seventh day Adventist.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Indeed it was the Pentrich uprising. My ancestor was George Weightman, a sawyer by trade. His mother was Nancy Bacon, landlady of the White Horse Inn in Pentrich where many of the meetings of the insurgents were held. Afterwards, the King's Hussars raided the village. She had her licence revoked and the pub was pulled to the ground. Her brother was also transported for life. George Weightman was one of the four leaders. The other three were hanged, their heads cut off and held aloft by their hair. The Weightmans were forced out of the village by the rest of the population. One or two remained, but the rest fled to places such as Alfreton and South Normanton. Even though this all happened in 1817, my mother (maiden name Weightman) knew someone in the family had been transported following this uprising, but had no other details.

Jeremiah Brandreth who was hanged actually lived in the town I now live in which is only 10 miles from Pentrich..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few yards about 50 from up my front door is a junction controlled by traffic lights earlier on about couple of hours ago there was a collision between an Asda delivery van and a car at the junction.

So the police arrive and control traffic by placing a police car with flashing blue lights across one of the lanes a short distance down the road with two police officers waving traffic down. As I am watching a person drives up the road around the police car on to the other side of the road and continues up the road with a policeman in hot pursuit on foot I've never seen owt like it in all my life the car navigates around the crashed vehicles this slowed them up enough for a rather breathless policeman to catch up with them.

I live in a most entertaining place never boring around here.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A few yards about 50 from up my front door is a junction controlled by traffic lights earlier on about couple of hours ago there was a collision between an Asda delivery van and a car at the junction.

So the police arrive and control traffic by placing a police car with flashing blue lights across one of the lanes a short distance down the road with two police officers waving traffic down. As I am watching a person drives up the road around the police car on to the other side of the road and continues up the road with a policeman in hot pursuit on foot I've never seen owt like it in all my life the car navigates around the crashed vehicles this slowed them up enough for a rather breathless policeman to catch up with them.

I live in a most entertaining place never boring around here.

I hope the driver got a positive breath test. There are some lunatics on our roads.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes and they all seem to drive up my road at some point.

I sometimes stand at the front door and just watch all the craziness and wonder at it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first time in years I will be celebrating Sinterklaas :)
Sinterklaas is the best holiday ever, but you need people who are motivated to spend time on the preparations to properly celebrate it. This year a friend who is originally from Germany but who has lived here for years told me how she wished to do a Dutch Sinterklaas so I jumped in and told her I would love to.

It involves presents, but they have to be inside a 'surprise' (sur-pree-suh), a word that in Dutch is only used for the creative vessels that hold the presents at Sinterklaas.
There should also be a poem to go with the present. Ideally the poem is about the recipient and/or the present, and it may be a bit uncomfortable but not mean. It's Sinterklaas who writes the poems, so you can say a bit more that if you would write them as yourself.

So I'm off now to get chocolate letters, papier-maché, colored paper, glue, a small bicycle light and cardboard boxes to make a lighthouse (relates to the main present, a book, and to her former career as a captain on a sailing ship). It will have her name in chocolate letters on the outside and a present on every floor. The boxes of chocolate letters will be the doors to the presents.
I'll make it from cardboard boxes on top of eachother, which will be covered with red paper maché. The light will be the blinking bicycle light in an old glass jar :)
And then I'll need to write a couple of poems. Nine days left, so wish me luck!

https://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/2015/11/21/no-36-sinterklaas/