smoky cauliflower cheese fritatta :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My aunt gave me this recipe, and as I was making it I felt I was making a quite boring omelette but it turned out I wasn't. It was very very yummy!
Yesterday I had it on it's own for dinner, today I'll have a smaller portion plus Brussels sprouts with cream cheese.

Very easy to make too, so here's the recipe (and forgive me my clumsy translating):

1 small cauliflower, in not too small pieces
6 eggs
4 tablespoons creme fraiche (or whatever it's called in English. It's the sour 30% fat cream. And I guess I used more than 4 spoons, as you can heap lots of the goodness on a tablespoon if you try hard)
2 big tablespoons mustard
2 teaspoons smoked paprika (I love the stuff and I didn't measure in teaspoons so it could have been a lot more)
chives (recipe says 3 tablespoons, but again I like chives so used more)
150 grams smoked scamorza. Apparently that's some sort of Italian cheese. Even if I would have been able to find it, it would have been way to expensive to use in a casserole. Your cheap garden variety of finely cut smoked cheese tasted just fine.
75 grams of mature Gouda (or Cheddar, or whatever you happen to have on hand. My scales are useless for anything below 100 grams, so no idea how much I used)
black pepper and a bit of salt

Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
Cook cauliflower for 5 minutes with a bit of salt.
mix eggs, mustard, creme fraiche, paprika, pepper.
Add most of the cheeses and the chives.
Fry the cooked cauliflower in butter or oil until slightly browned.
put cauliflower and egg mixture in something you can put in the oven and put rest of cheese on top. I also added more smoked paprika because it looks pretty. (I used one of those round cake things where you can remove the side, as it makes quite a firm fritatta so you can cut slices from it)
Put in oven for about 15 minutes or until the thing isn't runny anymore.

Not sure how many carbs but I didn't need insulin for it :)

Eet smakelijk!

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Aunt Charlotte! More recipes please.

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My aunt gave me this recipe, and as I was making it I felt I was making a quite boring omelette but it turned out I wasn't. It was very very yummy!
Yesterday I had it on it's own for dinner, today I'll have a smaller portion plus Brussels sprouts with cream cheese.

Very easy to make too, so here's the recipe (and forgive me my clumsy translating):

1 small cauliflower, in not too small pieces
6 eggs
4 tablespoons creme fraiche (or whatever it's called in English. It's the sour 30% fat cream. And I guess I used more than 4 spoons, as you can heap lots of the goodness on a tablespoon if you try hard)
2 big tablespoons mustard
2 teaspoons smoked paprika (I love the stuff and I didn't measure in teaspoons so it could have been a lot more)
chives (recipe says 3 tablespoons, but again I like chives so used more)
150 grams smoked scamorza. Apparently that's some sort of Italian cheese. Even if I would have been able to find it, it would have been way to expensive to use in a casserole. Your cheap garden variety of finely cut smoked cheese tasted just fine.
75 grams of mature Gouda (or Cheddar, or whatever you happen to have on hand. My scales are useless for anything below 100 grams, so no idea how much I used)
black pepper and a bit of salt

Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
Cook cauliflower for 5 minutes with a bit of salt.
mix eggs, mustard, creme fraiche, paprika, pepper.
Add most of the cheeses and the chives.
Fry the cooked cauliflower in butter or oil until slightly browned.
put cauliflower and egg mixture in something you can put in the oven and put rest of cheese on top. I also added more smoked paprika because it looks pretty. (I used one of those round cake things where you can remove the side, as it makes quite a firm fritatta so you can cut slices from it)
Put in oven for about 15 minutes or until the thing isn't runny anymore.

Not sure how many carbs but I didn't need insulin for it :)

Eet smakelijk!
Did you eat the whole thing:-0

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds very good - have to try it soon. May be, that I have to change some things a bit. Don't know where
to get scamorza for example, but that should not be too much of a problem, I suppose...

Thank you for a smakligt (tasty) recipe !

Edited to add a P.S. Was there something you did not have more of, in this recipe? :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thank you @bulkbiker , for the link.
I usually not shop too much "over the net", but I suppose I just have to change my habits in that way...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you'll find it in most of the larger stores.. my one in Worthing has had it in the past for sure.. Its ok but I prefer the
Bavarian smoked as smoked cheeses go.

Or if you want to pay more go to Tesco!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292540668

Hmm...Tesco products I'm able to find, but sorry to say, Tesco as a chain is not to be seen here either.
But yes, you are probably quite right, that not much more needed than to ask for it somewhere, where the assortment is a little bigger than in my frequently used shop.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm...Tesco products I'm able to find, but sorry to say, Tesco as a chain is not to be seen here either.
But yes, you are probably quite right, that not much more needed than to ask for it somewhere, where the assortment is a little bigger than in my frequently used shop.
Sorry Mike had assumed you were UK rather than Finland.. apologies for assuming..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin