Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I enjoyed your post, and the link too (I also liked the horsey parking sign :D). Thank you for posting about Sinterklaas. Your lighthouse sounds fascinating. Please post pics for us!

Now I want to to know the words to the Sinterklaas song in Miracle on 34th Street!

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe there is some controversy over the tradition of blacking faces these days hope that does not spoil the festival.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe there is some controversy over the tradition of blacking faces these days hope that does not spoil the festival.
It does a bit, with demonstrations, police protection and protesters from both side acting completely silly. I ignore it all, I don't care what colour the Piet's have as long as they throw pepernoten.
It most certainly won't interfere with our own little Sinterklaas party :)
Please post pics for us!
Will do!
Now I want to to know the words to the Sinterklaas song in Miracle on 34th Street!
Happy to provide them but I don't know the movie so I don't know what song it is. Do you remember any words from the song, or the melody?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will try to find out.
Got it!

Neither of the actors is Dutch, and they do speak Dutch here but it's clear they don't know the language. Someone has tried to teach them the right sounds, succeeding to the point that it's understandable.

Sinterklaas kapoentje
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje
Dank u Sinterklaasje!
(they sing "Geef wat in mijn schoentje",which I've never heard. 'Geef' means 'to give', 'gooi' means 'to throw')

Let's see what our profanity filter thinks of this:

Sinterklaas castrated male chicken
(I really have no clue what it's doing in the song, maybe I'll do a Google search on it. I already know the filter will asterisk the usual word for male chicken)
Throw something in my shoe
(little shoe, because of 'tje', but then, we make everything little without much meaning)
Throw something in my (little) boot
Thank you (little) Sinterklaas

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your translated first line made me laugh out loud. Am I right in thinking "kapoentje" is the same as the English "capon"?

Thank you for checking it out and posting it! I meant to but I got distracted plus I'm not at my best, I've had a headache all day long.

:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@SaskiaKC, it was hard to choose between the "hug" rating for the headache and the "funny" for the chicken thing but I went with the latter :)
Why didn't I even think to look up the translation for kapoen?

In my defence, the word kapoen is hardly ever used apart from this song (and in the many Google searches from people who wonder what that word in the song means) so it didn't occur to me you would have a word for it as well, let alone the same word!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC, it was hard to choose between the "hug" rating for the headache and the "funny" for the chicken thing but I went with the latter :)
Why didn't I even think to look up the translation for kapoen?

In my defence, the word kapoen is hardly ever used apart from this song (and in the many Google searches from people who wonder what that word in the song means) so it didn't occur to me you would have a word for it as well, let alone the same word!

The word "capon" is hardly ever used here. What is used, often, in movies and on TV, when a man or woman wants to threaten a man, he/she will say "I'm gonna turn you from a rooster into a hen!" And I always wonder, "Why not say 'I'm gonna turn you from a rooster into a capon'?" :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My living room has transformed to something resembling the aftermath of an earthquake in a kindergarten. Tape, scissors, glue, cut up pieces of cardboard and colored paper everywhere!
But the lighthouse stands, presents are inside, next step is papier maché and paint.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Our Sinterklaas party next thursday will involve a 3 course dinner. I just had a perfect phone call with the host, who will be cooking. She doesn't eat meat, which makes things a little more complicated, and I requested she choose something without the very carby parts but not worry about the details.

So she called me to ask if a chocolate letter would make me happy or sad. A very good question, and I opted for happy, especially if she can find a dark chocolate A :)
And then she told me dinner will be very low carb as far as starters and mains go, but I'll have to adjust and just guess my dose for dessert, which will be carby but small.

I just love people getting how it works! Friends like this make diabetes so much easier, and this phone call means I don't mind the messing up from dessert, Sinterklaas comes but once a year and has the same status as christmas, birthday or thanksgiving depending on your location :)

edited because I couldn't write this part before taking a picture of my post to send to my friend.
I'll add some home made low carb vegetarian sausage rolls and a bottle of wine.
I think sausage rolls are a cool choice when dealing with one diabetic and one vegetarian, both stubborn know it alls :hilarious:
They taste very good as well!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 Your Sinterklaas party sounds delightful. Especially the dark chocolate and sausages. :D
I hope you will be able to post some pics for us of the lighthouse -- I would love to see it.

I'm reading a Katie Fforde novel in which the characters have just traveled from London to Dordrecht aboard a barge that needs to have its hull sandblasted and painted.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you will be able to post some pics for us of the lighthouse -- I would love to see it.
Of course I will, and also pictures of the surprise I will get :) But only after Sinterklaas, the only way I can shrink photo's enough to post here is to first post them on Facebook and then copy and delete them. I'm sure my friend will happen to see the picture of her surprise in the few seconds it will be up on Facebook.

Finished all 6 poems yesterday, they turned out very well. I've decided I'll bring the dogs too, so 3 more short poems to make to go with their presents :) And to the supermarket to buy them something. I think I'll buy those miniature liverwursts for them, the ones you get in hotels :hungry:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finished 2 of the 3 dog's poems. Managed to get emotional from my own Sinterklaas poem for Old Dog. Which is sad but very funny at the same time and makes me laugh out loud through my tears :hilarious: Getting emotional from a Sinterklaas poem is ridiculous.
So here it is, with clumsy translation:

Hidde is een ouwe man
Daar weet Sint ook alles van
De oortjes doof, de oogjes mistig
Soms een misstap, hij vergist zich
Niet meer spelen met de bal
Kan niet meer zwemmen en het zal
Niet zo lang meer duren.
Maanden, weken, dagen, uren?

Maar tot die tijd is er de Neus!
Met tast tezamen is het heus
de moeite waard om door te gaan.
Ruik ik daar wat lekkers staan?
Kruip ik dicht tegen je aan!
Binnenkort is het gedaan
Maar eerst nog eventjes genieten.

Knuffel, Sint en Pieten.

Hidde is an old man
Sint knows all about that too
The ears are deaf, the eyes are misty
Sometimes a wrong step, he makes mistakes
No more playing with the ball
Cannot swim anymore and it will
Not be a long time now
Months, weeks, days, hours?

But until then there is The Nose!
With touch together it's really
Worth keeping on some more
Do I smell something good there?
I'll cuddle up against you!
Won't be long now
But first enjoy life some more for a bit.

Hug, Sint and Piets

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I love that poem. It also made me emotional in remembrance of the old girls and boys I have lost in the past. (2 on the same day)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On a happier note, surprise is finished, wrapped and it even fitted in the car (pretty close though). Low carb vegetarian sausage rolls are utterly failed and look like something the cat did but taste yummy all the same :)
Only thing left is the library, to print the dogs' poems and supermarket to buy them their liverwursty presents.

On the 5th of december no-one will find it remotely weird to see someone wrapping miniature liverwursts in gift paper and attaching poems to the packages :hilarious:. Isn't that cool!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a happier note, surprise is finished, wrapped and it even fitted in the car (pretty close though). Low carb vegetarian sausage rolls are utterly failed and look like something the cat did but taste yummy all the same :)
Only thing left is the library, to print the dogs' poems and supermarket to buy them their liverwursty presents.

On the 5th of december no-one will find it remotely weird to see someone wrapping miniature liverwursts in gift paper and attaching poems to the packages :hilarious:. Isn't that cool!

Since they're yummy I would call them a great success rather than an utter fail. :)

Between your Sinterklaas celebrations, and Saint Nicholas' Day following here, as well as the Christmas concert with Lessons & Carols and reading other threads about Christmas decorations already being put up, I am starting to feel very Christmassy very early this year. It's nice for a change. :)

t7303.gif
t7211.gif
t07050.gif
t07053.gif
t07081.gif

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The vet will come over to help Old Dog Hidde die next thursday. I think I've cried more in the past 3 days than in all of the past year.
And today I got those two. A friend found them the day before yesterday in the middle of nowhere, and they needed a home. While I'm sure they won't be able to fill the hole in my soul that Hidde will leave, it'll certainly help, if only the diversion!
The white one starts to purr as soon as you touch it, the black one is a bit more timid, but has already ventured outside their crate a bit as well. They're pretty scared of the dogs and the other cats now, and hissing when they come too close, but trying to get everyone to get along will be perfect to keep my mind from Hidde some of the time.
79765333_10219269381959673_8786603468061147136_o.jpg