Worried about ketoacidosis

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'The symptoms you feel during a false hypo may include a pounding pulse'

Very useful. The only hypo symptom I get and didn't know until now that is was related.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miffli you said, "Most of the symptoms above for deficiency I got long before doing the keto". What vitamin or mineral were you deficient in previously?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'The symptoms you feel during a false hypo may include a pounding pulse'

Very useful. The only hypo symptom I get and didn't know until now that is was related.

I had reactive hypoglycemia in my 20's and hypos were just the worst. If you're having hypos, I encourage you to visit the reactive hypoglycemica sub forum here. :)

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lotties do you have reactive hypoglycemia? I did in my 20's and hypos were just the worst. There is a reactive hypoglycemica sub forum here. If you haven't already, you might want to check it out. :)
@Winnie53
No, I don't think so.Thanks for the pointer though. I thought I did for many years. Perhaps I really did in my twenties but without a time-machine I'll never know : )

I just have been able to correlate the neck pounding to my 3am wakes which my Libre shows are due to a slowly dropping BG level.

I did snooze at 6pm after getting home from work when just had tea. Seems that is idiopathic as all the checks ive manage to do have OK BG and it goes away on keto.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS
Well, if i had carbs (i.s. bread or porridge) even on the empagliflozin within an hour or so i would start to feel hyper as if i was on drugs, talking fast and off the wall, after a little while longer i would have to go to bed else i would literally just pass out, i go into a deep sleep and sometime sit may be for only an hour and i wake up in a grouch with a bad head and can be quite abrupt. After then and a cup of tea and a few glasses of water i'm starting to feel normal again whatever that is.

Today, I was 10mmol when i got up, it started going down and i was 8.2 before i had breakfast which was egg and bacon plus a cuppa, i went out shopping, when i came back i was @ 10 which is odd, even in the shop i was feeling faint or just rough i guess, i got back home and snacked on some cheese and had another cuppa and had to go to bed, when i'm laying there i feel like you do when you are drunk, spinning fast and it is a horrid feeling, jumping up because i'm worried that i'm going too fast.. i hope you can understand that.

Re the runs and constipation, i'm not sure whether it was a one day tummy bug or something to do with going keto but i was ok the day after albeit a little constipated and i really should not be because i do eat a lot of greens and what have you and also @Winnie53 i always used Himalayan pink salt on food and definitely a spoonful a day but I can't overdo it due to high blood pressure.

Potassium, i don't think many would eat as much spinach and other greens as i do. I also eat Pak Choi and mushrooms due to having stir fries weekly, especially since doing the keto thing. (i do eat an awful lot of mushrooms) Most of the symptoms above for deficiency I got long before doing the keto and i also take multivits and a manner of other nutrients daily and without fail, not so much the cramps, i was like this since having radiotherapy a year ago where they zapped my head and i don't think i have been the same since. Everything has been a real battle since and hence why my Hb1ac was over 100 for over a year and has slowly started to come down. Oh and i drink a lot of spring water daily to keep myself hydrated, that was another thing about the cancer treatment, i have drank more water since than i ever did before, i don't think that is a bad thing though.
So eating carbs makes you hyper literally and blood glucose wise. Not surprising really. Whether you are on medication or not this will happen. The difference is medication was helping control the effects, whereas now you are using diet ie not having the carbs in the first place. Are you seeing an trend of generally lower numbers since the initial high ones when you first stopped the medication? Are they improving again yet?

I think you are saying it is extreme tiredness as opposed to a sudden loss of consciousness. Ie consistent with high blood sugars. It doesn’t sound like the cheese was the cause of the episode though as you already felt off when you ate it.

Keto typically brings down blood pressure, with many needing to reduce or even stop medication for it. Have you checked you bp since going keto or during these episodes?

some digestive issues do take a little while for the body to adjust. If you are certain electrolytes and water is sufficient (I’d try adding even more water temporarily to see if that helps or a magnesium supplement as many here swear by) then I’d see how I felt in a week or so in this regard.

and finally if many of the symptoms were occurring before you started keto it seems unlikely diet is the cause. I’m sorry you went through cancer and radiation. Could it be lasting side effects from this? I don’t know much about such treatments.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So eating carbs makes you hyper literally and blood glucose wise. Not surprising really. Whether you are on medication or not this will happen. The difference is medication was helping control the effects, whereas now you are using diet ie not having the carbs in the first place. Are you seeing an trend of generally lower numbers since the initial high ones when you first stopped the medication? Are they improving again yet?

I think you are saying it is extreme tiredness as opposed to a sudden loss of consciousness. Ie consistent with high blood sugars. It doesn’t sound like the cheese was the cause of the episode though as you already felt off when you ate it.

Keto typically brings down blood pressure, with many needing to reduce or even stop medication for it. Have you checked you bp since going keto or during these episodes?

some digestive issues do take a little while for the body to adjust. If you are certain electrolytes and water is sufficient (I’d try adding even more water temporarily to see if that helps or a magnesium supplement as many here swear by) then I’d see how I felt in a week or so in this regard.

and finally if many of the symptoms were occurring before you started keto it seems unlikely diet is the cause. I’m sorry you went through cancer and radiation. Could it be lasting side effects from this? I don’t know much about such treatments.

Morning @HSSS i added to my other post again, they seem to have crossed over each other, apologies. And yes, eating carbs makes me hyper and yes it does not matter whether i am taking meds or not. the last 3 weeks on Keto i was at the lowest i have been for a year with readings as low a 4mmol, but then I was taken off the Empagliflozin so the pattern is 10mmol on a morning since stopping last week. Within an hour or so i shall be back down to around 8 but i have not been lower yet and contrary to what my diabetic nurse says, i'm checking quite often instead of her recommended a couple of times a day.

If you have even been paralytic before and consumed far too much alcohol then this is how i feel, if i did not get to my bed i would slump on the chair or sofa, no i am not fainting but as if i have had ever last ounce of life drained from me, it is quite bad. With regards the blood pressure, i don't have my monitor right now as i had to hand it to the nurse on Friday so they can analyse it after a week of constant checking, i'm already on Perindropril.

Honestly, i'm really certain regards the electrolytes, up to 2 litres of spring water a day, i have HP salt and supplements for potassium and magnesium just in case, i would not go into this completely blind as i have no option but to try and look after my health, even more so now. well sadly the radiotherapy has definitely had an effect, i never felt like this before whatsoever, i have been left with severe anxiety over the silliest of things and I often wonder if this affects my BP, like anxious over a discussion i had with someone 30 years ago and they have long gone, it's utter madness.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that over the next few weeks you’ll see the morning figures slowly creep down so long as your keeping the post meal rises down to 2mmol or less.
Do you have to wait long for bp analysis?

Reactions: Lotties

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I suspect that over the next few weeks you’ll see the morning figures slowly creep down so long as your keeping the post meal rises down to 2mmol or less.
Do you have to wait long for bp analysis?

Yes, post breakfast I went back up to 10.2 and had to go back to bed, I woke up again and whilst having a cuppa am on 9.7 now... I am going to miss lunch today and see how low i can get before dinner, when they're high it really puts me off eating, i'm sure others may be similar.

I have no idea, I'm hoping it shall be done this week so i can keep monitoring it.

Reactions: Lotties

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miffli just one more thought after my long post last night. Most people are deficient in magnesium and it can take a while for it to begin helping. Magnesium is needed for almost 300 processes in the body so if you already have it on hand, might be helpful to begin taking it daily to see if it helps. The type of magnesium and amount you take is important. There are many types. If magnesium citrate loosens the bowel movements too much, the dosage can be lessened or you can switch to magnesium glycinate. If you do an online search, you'll find a few articles on the different types of magnesium.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you actually need three and a half pints of water on top of any other fluids you might consume?
I have, over time, read numerous messages about the number of cups of water to drink - but never got any sort of sensible reason for it.
I do drink about that much in hot weather, about a pint and a half less in the colder months, but I go more by urine colour - when I notice - and reset my intake up or down week by week.

Reactions: HSSS

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, yes Thank you, but honestly I keep saying I am already taking supplements ever since I started doing the Keto which is 3-4 weeks now, for magnesium i have been taking these :https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/miner...VB7TtCh1C1wwwEAMYAiAAEgIG5vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have been buying supplements from these for quite some time now since taking Selenium post radiotherapy and Tumeric = Curcusorb due to its cancer busting properties (not sure whether it works or not but we try anything) I wanted to be prepared prior to going on the diet only my health has been iffy anyway so i do everything possible to try and help myself.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you actually need three and a half pints of water on top of any other fluids you might consume?
I have, over time, read numerous messages about the number of cups of water to drink - but never got any sort of sensible reason for it.
I do drink about that much in hot weather, about a pint and a half less in the colder months, but I go more by urine colour - when I notice - and reset my intake up or down week by week.

My understanding is that when transitioning to becoming fat adapted on the keto diet, more water intake is needed. Can't remember why though... Would have to research it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies @miffli I misunderstood. Even though we both speak English, I often don't understand or misunderstand the meaning of the writings of those of you in the UK. I actually have the Harry Potter books recorded from the UK editions which are very different from the US editions. Perhaps if I listened to them, I'd understand better...

I think cucurmin is great stuff too. I take it for my inflammatory bowel disease. I also take selenium for my subclinical hyperthyroid condition. Not sure why I take zinc, but I take that too. Soils in the US have been so over farmed due to monocropping, so they're depleted of the minerals we need.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest how long have you been diagnosed? With what treatment along the way?
Morning reading.. 9.5 :/
well it’s better. And it’ll never be entirely consistent as there are too many factors that effect it and meters aren’t that precise. Keep at it. Keep checking the effects of your meals. It’ll get there.

Definitely seems like dawn phenomenon is an issue. For me a small no/low carb breakfast puts a halt to it. Others like to see it as draining the liver of excess glucose and a good thing.

Reactions: Winnie53

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i went down to 8.7 after breakfast which was my usual, went out to town and when i got back i was on 9.8 and feeling exhausted i had some lunch- keto toast and a cuppa and then went to sleep again because i just had no option, when i woke up i was on 10 again @ 6.51pm so 25 minutes ago, i'm trying to make a patter out of this but i'm feel dreadful tonight, my legs feel like balloons, i'm thirsty but have had nearly a litre of water since waking up, Thank you again.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miffli the first 4 weeks on the keto diet were maddening for me. Glucose levels stayed high for much longer than most people. While they did eventually come down, it took a long time, and at times I felt quite discouraged. I mostly just hung on and rode it out... Sometimes it's like that. Not fun.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I was just going to mention this. My levels are in the 8-13 range but I'm only on day 3. Will this stabilise do you think, from your personal experience?
@miffli the first 4 weeks on the keto diet were maddening for me. Glucose levels stayed high for much longer than most people. While they did eventually come down, it took a long time, and at times I felt quite discouraged. I mostly just hung on and rode it out... Sometimes it's like that. Not fun.