Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm a recent convert to being vegetarian. I have eaten seitan (very nice) but would love to know if any one has got a simple tried and trusted recipe to make it and recipes or ideas of what to do with it once it is made.

Same for tempeh (although I've not eaten any of that yet).

Reactions: Quinn1066

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve made @WuTwo ’s seitan and it’s great!

I’ve bought tempeh but not made it. I cut it into chunks and chuck it in a tray of roasted veggies: it makes a great roast potato substitute.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I’ve made @WuTwo ’s seitan and it’s great!

I’ve bought tempeh but not made it. I cut it into chunks and chuck it in a tray of roasted veggies: it makes a great roast potato substitute.

Now that does sound interesting (I've never thought celeriac made a good roast potato substitute). Whereabouts did you buy the tempeh?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've eaten tempeh but not made it, I've had it as "vegan ribs" with barbecue sauce and I've had it in stir-fries. I had it a few times in Indonesia, where it's originally from, so might be worth having a look at some Indonesian recipes for inspiration :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've eaten tempeh but not made it, I've had it as "vegan ribs" with barbecue sauce and I've had it in stir-fries. I had it a few times in Indonesia, where it's originally from, so might be worth having a look at some Indonesian recipes for inspiration :)

Brilliant idea, thanks :). I've never tried Indonesian food.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favorite tempeh recipe sounds odd, but it’s making taco filling. Steam it first. Sauté a white onion (with water or oil, your choice), a crushed clove of garlic, then crumble in the tempeh. Brown it a a little, then add taco spices to taste near the end so as not to burn the spices. I like cumin, chili power, oregano, and a dash of salt.

I used to use it to make crunchy tacos, but these days it’s a salad topper with lots of salsa, pepitas, and avocado, sour cream (or sour cream sub) if you eat it. It keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days.

Reactions: Quinn1066 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My favorite tempeh recipe sounds odd, but it’s making taco filling. Steam it first. Sauté a white onion (with water or oil, your choice), a crushed clove of garlic, then crumble in the tempeh. Brown it a a little, then add taco spices to taste near the end so as not to burn the spices. I like cumin, chili power, oregano, and a dash of salt.

I used to use it to make crunchy tacos, but these days it’s a salad topper with lots of salsa, pepitas, and avocado, sour cream (or sour cream sub) if you eat it. It keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days.

That sounds yummy - i like the idea of it as a salad topper!

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds yummy - i like the idea of it as a salad topper!

Oh, jeez, I completely forgot, add some water once you brown it, or it will be too dry for the spices to stick.

- I tend to cook by the seat of my pants, so I’m not good at passing along recipes :)