I've forgot to take my night med

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I watched tv last night and forgot to take my night shot, should I take now or leave until tomorrow night, I can't ask doctors as it's weekend. Any advice?

Thanks

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is this your long acting/background insulin?
I need to go to bed but as it's very quiet around here I feel I should advise!
If it is your background insulin you should take it now, you probably aren't high now but you may end up very high if you miss it completely or wait until tomorrow night. Hopefully somebody can advise tomorrow if you need to adjust what time you should take tomorrow's dose.

Reactions: MancboyChris

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies I didn't reply sooner, I didn't think I'd get a reply at the time, I phoned 111 and they advised me NOT to take it and that a doctor would call me within six hours.
The dose I missed was my night time long acting one.

Reactions: sleepster

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is completely basal dependant, some you can get off taking later, reducing the dose slightly etc but it completely depends what long acting your using, you did the right thing by phoning 111, I think from your post the other day you haven't been taught correction doses? but that's what I would do if I ever forgot mine, correct with fast acting insulin should I require it and take next long acting dose as usual xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I watched tv last night and forgot to take my night shot, should I take now or leave until tomorrow night, I can't ask doctors as it's weekend. Any advice?

Thanks

Hello @MancboyChris ,

Yep, it can happen. You lose track of time, look at the time piece & find yer a couple of hours late?
I normally dose my Lantus at 11pm. If I happens to be 1am? I take my full dosage. If I realised I crashed (fell asleep.) & I'm around 6 hours late. I dose 3/4s my amount.

Just keep a closer eye more than normal with testing the BGs

Did the doc get back to you?

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is completely basal dependant, some you can get off taking later, reducing the dose slightly etc but it completely depends what long acting your using, you did the right thing by phoning 111, I think from your post the other day you haven't been taught correction doses? but that's what I would do if I ever forgot mine, correct with fast acting insulin should I require it and take next long acting dose as usual xx
Hey, the long acting one is Lantus and you're right, I haven't been taught much as of yet but will hope to learn more at my first outpatient 5th Feb. :)

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @MancboyChris ,

Yep, it can happen. You lose track of time, look at the time piece & find yer a couple of hours late?
I normally dose my Lantus at 11pm. If I happens to be 1am? I take my full dosage. If I realised I crashed (fell asleep.) & I'm around 6 hours late. I dose 3/4s my amount.

Just keep a closer eye more than normal with testing the BGs

Did the doc get back to you?

Hey, yeah the doctor called and as it was around 7am he told me not to take it, but to keep an eye on BG and just use my novorapid with meals and lantus tonight as normal. My BG was 7.9 this morning which surprised me as I thought it would be in double figures. I think I'll leave an alarm on my phone for 11pm to wake me up if I fall asleep. It's taking some getting used to but with the right help and support from the nurse and people off here, I'm sure I'll get used to what I need to do and when should I do something wrong.
:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, yeah the doctor called and as it was around 7am he told me not to take it, but to keep an eye on BG and just use my novorapid with meals and lantus tonight as normal. My BG was 7.9 this morning which surprised me as I thought it would be in double figures. I think I'll leave an alarm on my phone for 11pm to wake me up if I fall asleep. It's taking some getting used to but with the right help and support from the nurse and people off here, I'm sure I'll get used to what I need to do and when should I do something wrong.
:)

Hi,

To be fair to you, you're recently diagnosed & could still be honeymooning.
You did the right thing with 111.

Just out of curiosity. Did you drink any alcohol last night too?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, the long acting one is Lantus and you're right, I haven't been taught much as of yet but will hope to learn more at my first outpatient 5th Feb. :)
Ah I've never used that, only ever used Tresiba which is extra long lasting compared to all the others, wow that's a very lengthy wait to have an appointment to see someone! xx

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies I didn't reply sooner, I didn't think I'd get a reply at the time, I phoned 111 and they advised me NOT to take it and that a doctor would call me within six hours.
The dose I missed was my night time long acting one.
No worries, I'm glad you got sorted :) I just didn't want you to end up poorly from not taking it but phoning 111 was a good idea, it's not something I ever think to do.

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

To be fair to you, you're recently diagnosed & could still be honeymooning.
You did the right thing with 111.

Just out of curiosity. Did you drink any alcohol last night too?
Hey sorry for the late reply, I didn't have any alcohol, I've not had any since I flew home from Canada in November.