Bulk buying, Organic Almond?

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was wondering if any of you know where I might source over a kilo of Organic ground almonds, or just almonds and i can grind them myself, i'm used to paying between £15 and £18 a kilo and is becoming a little expensive at the rate i am using them up.. I see some recipes for Coconut flour but that has quite a few carbs in it, what do the non carbers use? I ask this because it does worry me about killing bee's, i do everything i can to grow for them in the garden, just trying to do my little bit.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grapetree are advertising ground almonds for under £10 per kilo on their website

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if any of you know where I might source over a kilo of Organic ground almonds, or just almonds and i can grind them myself, i'm used to paying between £15 and £18 a kilo and is becoming a little expensive at the rate i am using them up.. I see some recipes for Coconut flour but that has quite a few carbs in it, what do the non carbers use? I ask this because it does worry me about killing bee's, i do everything i can to grow for them in the garden, just trying to do my little bit.
What are you using it for?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do believe coconut flour is lower in carbs than almond flour (based on a google)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two flours are not interchangeable unfortunately.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two flours are not interchangeable unfortunately.

Yes agreed, but OP mentioned that they had seen recipes for coconut flour, but thought it was too high in carbs.

Actually considering you'd use much less coconut flour it might work out cheaper as well

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The coconut flour is cheaper and more readily available in larger packs, i was going by what is on the packets usually with regards carb content, i have bought several from different suppliers all with different levels and I can't understand that only they all come from the US!

I have been trying things like keto bread made with almond flour/ground , something along these lines
https://gimmedelicious.com/90-second-keto-bread/

of course i'm willing to try with the coconut or anything else that is low carb

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have also wondered whether using the almonds perhaps too much may lead to inflammation and swelling, i wonder if @HSSS knows as she seems to be quite knowledgable, I am leaving the almonds for a week now just to see if it makes any difference, i never had any leg swelling prior to the low carbing. i'm still learning with all of this and you can't take everything your read elsewhere as gospel, i would sooner have confirmed advice with it all.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also wondered whether using the almonds perhaps too much may lead to inflammation and swelling, i wonder if @HSSS knows as she seems to be quite knowledgable, I am leaving the almonds for a week now just to see if it makes any difference, i never had any leg swelling prior to the low carbing. i'm still learning with all of this and you can't take everything your read elsewhere as gospel, i would sooner have confirmed advice with it all.
Organic coconut flour by Groovy Food Co. costs around £3.50 for 500gms from Morrisons. The label says 16g carb/100g. I use it to make my seed and nuts breakfast more thick and creamy. Hope this helps.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Organic coconut flour by Groovy Food Co. costs around £3.50 for 500gms from Morrisons. The label says 16g carb/100g. I use it to make my seed and nuts breakfast more thick and creamy. Hope this helps.

That is the one i recently bought but i have yet to use it, i might add that the whitworths ground almonds is 6.7g per 100g, this is why i was using the almond instead.. I would just feel happier if i could buy organic ground almonds cheaper.

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm wondering if i'm worrying too much, i'm sure the coconut flour would be better in some instances in thickening than the ground almonds, neither are that high if we are talking of perhaps a teaspoon or less.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if i'm worrying too much, i'm sure the coconut flour would be better in some instances in thickening than the ground almonds, neither are that high if we are talking of perhaps a teaspoon or less.
Still wondering what you are using them for...

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I prefer almonds from safer sources, so avoid californian. This means that I struggle to find a decent source at a good price.
I mainly use coconut flour or a mix - note some coconut flours are much lower in carbs than others (ditto coconut milk).
You use less coconut flour in a cake/pancake/bread than almonds so it works out a lot cheaper.

It was strange learning to cook with coconut flour at first, I was an experienced cake maker and rarely followed exact weights/measures for wheat flour cakes but you have to follow recipes very carefully until you understand how it behaves. Lots more eggs, it soaks up liquid fast and the final mixtures generally stiffer.

Reactions: becca59

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever used ground almonds rather than the finer almond flour, as it's a lot cheaper, and works just as well for me. For a long while Morrisons were doing a good "three for ..." offer on their ground almonds which I used regularly, but they stopped it now.

Coconut flour I tried and didn't really get on with, but I've used sesame flour, ground/milled hazelnuts, walnuts, and various combinations of ready milled seed & nut mixes. I've found with everything (except coconut flour) that I've tried for low carb baking I've been able to convert my standard recipes without problem, but the coconut flour is another matter as it reacts differently with liquids. :eek:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's wrong with replicating 'bad' things to make them good things. i.e low carb?
Depends on why you're using them, IMO. If you're triggered to overeat by that kind of food, you might find even "healthier" versions have the same effect on you. Many people who felt they were addicted to carbs seem to feel they are still unable to moderate low carb "re-enactments".

If you have a genetic tendency to kidney stones or a previously unknown oxalate sensitivity, you might find health side effects from consuming large amounts of ground nut flours. Nuts tend to be high in oxalate - eating them in small quantities might be fine; but eating them in amounts you're unused to might cause problems. Then there's all the effort involved in deciding/buying the correct artificial sweeteners, etc. They're something that can also cause issues for some people in larger amounts.

The big reason for me though, I'm lazy AF so all that faffing with mixing, measuring, etc that baking entails just isn't worth the effort to me. I tried a few things at first in the early days, but rapidly decided the reward wasn't worth the effort. YMMV.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's wrong with replicating 'bad' things to make them good things. i.e low carb?

In my case I had a severe addiction to "bread like substances" which trigger cravings that have no off switch.
Once I feel that texture I cannot stop myself eating it until it is all gone. So that's one issue I had no wish to prolong.
I find that exclusion is far easier than moderation in those cases

Whilst almond bread is "lower carb" the reliance on bread means that if it were not available its far easier to slip back into the "oh one piece won't hurt" mentality and regular bread comes back into the diet.

I used my T2 diagnosis to "clean up" what I was eating to a large degree.
Replacing "bad" things with "less bad" things seems a bit mad so I just cleaned them all out. No "fake" anything.
Just seems to make more logical sense.

Hope that explains my position.

If you read all the threads on here about "replacing bread" I think you can tell that more people have some kind of addiction to it than are willing to admit it!

Edit to add.... as an extra in @miffli 's case they'd save money not buying almond or coconut flour...

Reactions: JenniferW

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think all I can say has been said above, by other knowledge posters. Almond and coconut flour are not interchangeable. You use a lot less coconut flour as it’s more absorbent than almond. I personally use ground almonds as they are much cheaper in the U.K. than flour.

As to whether it’s causing your fluid retention and inflammation I’ve not heard of such and would imagine it unlikely to have such an extreme and immediate reaction to the introduction of it unless you personally are having a reaction as opposed to a well recognised one.

I’d also be wary of “replacing” high carb foods IF you are likely to be led down the wrong path by them or there’s a lot of fake chemical ingredients. I did initially but have largely stopped doing it. I do understand the convenience of having a bread replacement though.

Reactions: Robbity