Type 2

mnickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone just wondering if there is anyone out there that is T2 and has an insulin pump. My Health team are in discussions about the possibility of a pump as MDI is not working and I can’t fine tune my insulin needs on MDI. Sometimes I need less than 1 unit to control BS. Just wondered if anyone else has the pump or has spoke to there health team about going onto pump therapy??

boxing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone just wondering if there is anyone out there that is T2 and has an insulin pump. My Health team are in discussions about the possibility of a pump as MDI is not working and I can’t fine tune my insulin needs on MDI. Sometimes I need less than 1 unit to control BS. Just wondered if anyone else has the pump or has spoke to there health team about going onto pump therapy??

boxing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
I am a type 2 diabetic .I have been on 2 different pumps for the last 4 1/2 years .My current pump is the tandem with basal IQ technology.. My basals are preprogrammed but my bolus instead of working out my carb ratio, I just give a fixed bolus at meal times Works great for me. I wouldn't switch back to using pens again

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Where are you based, @mnickle ? I have only read a small handful of accounts of T2s pumping, and from memory, they were not in UK.

I'm not an insulin user, but have you tried a half unit pen? I know those have helped a lot of people over time.

mnickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 2 diabetic .I have been on 2 different pumps for the last 4 1/2 years .My current pump is the tandem with basal IQ technology.. My basals are preprogrammed but my bolus instead of working out my carb ratio, I just give a fixed bolus at meal times Works great for me. I wouldn't switch back to using pens again

That’s interesting to know that you are currently on the insulin pump as a Type 2 and for some time but more importantly it’s working for you. Are you based in the uk? Do the NHS fund your insulin pump or do you self fund? At present I carb count, give correction dose on MDI and have done for the last 4years and although it works to some degree it’s not the brilliant and I have other health conditions that make it impossible to have controlled diabetes. I would be interested to know how you got your insulin pump as I know in the uk only a small amount of people have the pump and it’s decided by a case by case.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Type 2s on pumps is more common in America and other countries. From American diabetes forums, some type 2s on pumps seem quite happy with it. It’s more difficult to get a pump in the UK.

mnickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are you based, @mnickle ? I have only read a small handful of accounts of T2s pumping, and from memory, they were not in UK.

I'm not an insulin user, but have you tried a half unit pen? I know those have helped a lot of people over time.

I’m based in the south west Cornwall. You are very right only a handful of people have the pump. Although there seems to be a lot of T2’s who have the pump in America I understand we have a completely different system when it comes to medical most are using the Tslim or Medtronic and alot wear the V-go patch pump
which comes in 3 versions 20, 30, 40 units of fast acting insulin and delivers insulin over 24hr and is replaced everyday. The only problem with this once daily patch pump is you can’t set insulin rates as you can with regular insulin pumps. Yes I have tried half a unit pens but still hasn’t helped me sometimes even half a unit is to much for me yet at other times I need so much more units especially in the morning. It’s very clear that my body needs different amounts of insulin at different times of the day something I cannot achieve using MDI. My last discussion with my health team was applying for Individual funding request to the CCG. The guidelines that Nice say that Insulin pumps are only for T1 and not for T2. However if a consultant thinks the following:
1. Insulin pump therapy is the only method of treatment that will work for a patient.
2. The patient has numerous health problems that make it impossible to control there diabetes.
3. Have consistently high Hba1c
4. Other medications have been tried & exhausted
5. It would be cost effective in the long run to have insulin therapy ie: reduce hospital admission
6. If the patient requires numerous injections on a daily basis with no real blood glucose control.
7. If the patient has Dawn phenomenon
8. Constant Hypo & Hyper that is out of your control

If the Endocrinology team give evidence that insulin therapy will give good quality of life and hopefully see a lower Hba1c then the CCG may grant funding for insulin pump therapy. I currently self fund the Dexcom G6 as I have hypo-unawareness this has proved to be a life saver and also to detect patterns with my uncontrolled diabetes. As my T2 diabetes doesn’t present itself as a normal T2 the ? is would I qualify for alternative treatment. I have been in discussions for the last 2yrs with my Endocrinologist & team so we are most definitely looking at every possible treatment. I wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this process. Input were very helpful according to them there are some T2’s in the uk but only a small amount who have the pump but we don’t know if they are self funded or NHS funded.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m based in the south west Cornwall. You are very right only a handful of people have the pump. Although there seems to be a lot of T2’s who have the pump in America I understand we have a completely different system when it comes to medical most are using the Tslim or Medtronic and alot wear the V-go patch pump
which comes in 3 versions 20, 30, 40 units of fast acting insulin and delivers insulin over 24hr and is replaced everyday. The only problem with this once daily patch pump is you can’t set insulin rates as you can with regular insulin pumps. Yes I have tried half a unit pens but still hasn’t helped me sometimes even half a unit is to much for me yet at other times I need so much more units especially in the morning. It’s very clear that my body needs different amounts of insulin at different times of the day something I cannot achieve using MDI. My last discussion with my health team was applying for Individual funding request to the CCG. The guidelines that Nice say that Insulin pumps are only for T1 and not for T2. However if a consultant thinks the following:
1. Insulin pump therapy is the only method of treatment that will work for a patient.
2. The patient has numerous health problems that make it impossible to control there diabetes.
5. It would be cost effective in the long run to have insulin therapy ie: reduce hospital admission
6. If the patient requires numerous injections on a daily basis with no real blood glucose control.

If the Endocrinology team give evidence that insulin therapy will give good quality of life and hopefully see a lower Hba1c then the CCG may grant funding for insulin pump therapy. I currently self fund the Dexcom G6 as I have hypo-unawareness this has proved to be a life saver and also to detect patterns with my uncontrolled diabetes. As my T2 diabetes doesn’t present itself as a normal T2 the ? is would I qualify for alternative treatment. I have been in discussions for the last 2yrs with my Endocrinologist & team so we are most definitely looking at every possible treatment. I wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this process. Input were very helpful according to them there are some T2’s in the uk but only a small amount who have the pump but we don’t know if they are self funded or NHS funded.

Hello I think it would be a very difficult loop to jump through. As far as I’m aware NHS/NICE criteria/ guidelines have stated that they don’t see it as cost effective if pumps are prescribed to type 2 diabetics, despite absence of insulin production. So your team would really need to put forward a very strong case to convince your CCG.
Best of luck to you!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Many, many on here report greater insulin resistance in the morning, by comparison to the rest of the day That observation is across all diabetes types.

For a T1, they have a choice of varying their IC ratio to reflect that, but for non-insulin dependant T2, that option clearly doesn't exist. Many of those find their solution to be to eat fewer or no carbs first thing. Often this means switching from cereal or toast to something like eggs, eggs and bacon, or cheese for breakfast.

For me, that worked very well, but of course, we all have to find our own way.

If you have insulin resistance, and it sounds like that might be the case, in the mornings at least, doing a low or no carb breakfast could be worth trying.

Most of the T2s taking insulin, and a lesser proportion of T1s find keeping a close eye on diet can be really helpful to their management.

Obviously my post makes a couple of assumptions there, so I'll apologise up front if they'd aren't accurate at all.

mnickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many, many on here report greater insulin resistance in the morning, by comparison to the rest of the day That observation is across all diabetes types.

For a T1, they have a choice of varying their IC ratio to reflect that, but for non-insulin dependant T2, that option clearly doesn't exist. Many of those find their solution to be to eat fewer or no carbs first thing. Often this means switching from cereal or toast to something like eggs, eggs and bacon, or cheese for breakfast.

For me, that worked very well, but of course, we all have to find our own way.

If you have insulin resistance, and it sounds like that might be the case, in the mornings at least, doing a low or no carb breakfast could be worth trying.

Most of the T2s taking insulin, and a lesser proportion of T1s find keeping a close eye on diet can be really helpful to their management.

Obviously my post makes a couple of assumptions there, so I'll apologise up front if they'd aren't accurate at all.

Yes I am more insulin resistant in the morning compared to the rest of the day. I do have a strict diet eating between 800-1000 calories a day and having low carb and some days no carbs at all. I’ve been doing this for sometime now. I don’t have carbs for breakfast as that would be most definitely be the worse time to eat carbs for me. Some days I fast and have vegetable shakes. I guess diabetes is very much up and down and no two days are the same.