Diabetes Story.. what’s yours so far!

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed as Type 2 in 2012 having never been more than 76kg but dropped to 60 before diagnosed, ketones and in hospital for 3 days on drip and insulin. Usual Type 2 meds kind of kept things in check up until last year, but I was on ever increasing doses of everything - maxed out on metformin, glicazide in spite of running average 45 miles/week, watching diet and cutting out all refined sugars. Never been more than 64kg since.

But that diagnosis is up for question now - may be LADA/Type 1 as of December 2019 - have been on MDI since then with ever increasing does of insulin. Looks like pancreas has (finally?) packed in :) MDI is great and I'm not even carb counting formally yet. Feel sooooo much better now BGs are coming back into sensible range.

Reactions: Rose22

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My diabetes story looks like this so far...over exactly 10 years from my mid twenties to my mid thirties...
Gestational (diet)
Gestational (diet and Insulin)
Pre diabetes (diet and exercise)
Type 2 (diet, exercise, meds and no meds)
Late Onset Type 1 (meds)

It seems diabetes is not simple, but evolving and a life long part of me.
Interested to see others diabetes stories...

Diagnosed at 32 when I was 6 months pregnant on Christmas Eve 1979. No-one seemed to know what I could and couldn't eat and I had a 15 month old son at home. Very difficult time!
Told I was gestational T2, long story short I decided I'm T1 and 40 years later my HbA1C is 42, I do yoga, Pilates and walk more than 1000m miles a year - it helps my BG's!
I've flown all round the world on fab holidays, jumped off the Auckland Sky Tower, done zip wires in Alaska (with cracked ribs from tripping over running, not a good idea!). So, diabetes doesn't mean you can't enjoy your life to the full but you have to take control of it yourself.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetes story looks like this so far...over exactly 10 years from my mid twenties to my mid thirties...
Gestational (diet)
Gestational (diet and Insulin)
Pre diabetes (diet and exercise)
Type 2 (diet, exercise, meds and no meds)
Late Onset Type 1 (meds)

It seems diabetes is not simple, but evolving and a life long part of me.
Interested to see others diabetes stories...
Hi diagnosed type 2 at 53 Nov 2016
Re labeled type 1.5 LADA Nov 2018. Now on slow release.insulin
Saw diabetic nurse today latest bloods show pancreas getting tired and on verge of packing up, going to bring my case up at next GMCD meeting with top consultant to discuss best way forward for me as I am an unusual case. Have been warned i may have to depend on insulin altogether, to start with one injection of slow release and one of fasting acting in the morning and a one fast reacting injection in the evening both before meals

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My story -
Age 8 years 8 months - drinking a pint every 2 hours and peeing for England day and night. Dr said nothing wrong so my Mum bought some benedicts solution and test my urine in a glass jar heated on the gas stove. Mum took me back to Dr and really let rip so she was kicked out with me and took me to local hospital where I was admitted immediately and started on insulin. Glass and Chrome syringes with needles which were Giant compared to now. In Hospital for 5 weeks before allowed home. Testing was then pee on a strip and check the colours. First insulin reaction was cycling home from school scared witless because I did not know why I was seeing double and unstable on the bike.
As a teenager never even thought about any thing other than eating and never missing a meal.
Married school sweetheart 10 days after 21st birthday.
Only ever had 2 serious hypos - one warned would happen after changing from beef to human insulin.
Now having just seen my consultant for an annual review - no complications - compliment by consultant " T1 for 60+years - no complications - you have saved the NHS a fortune - you are a genius"
My comment - I can do anything that anyone else does BUT I always take my sandwiches with me.

My current rant >> Trying NHS freestyle libre because I want to leave the fingertips of steel club but just been told that next sensor will be at least 3 weeks and will probably be intermittent supply in the future, The trial so far - They fall off + not accurate (Even close) + you cannot get them on prescription on time. >> Just a waste of NHS funds and my time chasing problems and supply!

That's all from me for now - my pet wolf has just asked to go out so she can settle for the night
Raine Wolf 5.JPG

Attachments

• Raine Wolf (3).JPG
    Raine Wolf (3).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 224

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed as Type 2 in 2012 having never been more than 76kg but dropped to 60 before diagnosed, ketones and in hospital for 3 days on drip and insulin. Usual Type 2 meds kind of kept things in check up until last year, but I was on ever increasing doses of everything - maxed out on metformin, glicazide in spite of running average 45 miles/week, watching diet and cutting out all refined sugars. Never been more than 64kg since.

But that diagnosis is up for question now - may be LADA/Type 1 as of December 2019 - have been on MDI since then with ever increasing does of insulin. Looks like pancreas has (finally?) packed in :) MDI is great and I'm not even carb counting formally yet. Feel sooooo much better now BGs are coming back into sensible range.

It would seem like me you have one diagnosis and try and get used to that only for time to change things and be told another possible diagnosis. So interesting to hear these stories and it’s amazing how active and determined you’ve been!
Hehe I know that feeling! I have had my first in range hba1c since 2018 and it’s so different in how it makes you feel. Gosh I’d felt so unwell for so long. So that’s brilliant you are feeling well and seeing great numbers!
I’m sorry to say, I have no idea what MDI is though, would you mind explaining? Is it an insulin regime?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed at 32 when I was 6 months pregnant on Christmas Eve 1979. No-one seemed to know what I could and couldn't eat and I had a 15 month old son at home. Very difficult time!
Told I was gestational T2, long story short I decided I'm T1 and 40 years later my HbA1C is 42, I do yoga, Pilates and walk more than 1000m miles a year - it helps my BG's!
I've flown all round the world on fab holidays, jumped off the Auckland Sky Tower, done zip wires in Alaska (with cracked ribs from tripping over running, not a good idea!). So, diabetes doesn't mean you can't enjoy your life to the full but you have to take control of it yourself.
Such an inspirational story, thankyou for sharing. It certainly hasn’t stopped your get up and go attitude by the looks of it, amazing!
Also nice to see another story that started with gestational...the writing was on the cards there I was guess for diabetes to present again.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi diagnosed type 2 at 53 Nov 2016
Re labeled type 1.5 LADA Nov 2018. Now on slow release.insulin
Saw diabetic nurse today latest bloods show pancreas getting tired and on verge of packing up, going to bring my case up at next GMCD meeting with top consultant to discuss best way forward for me as I am an unusual case. Have been warned i may have to depend on insulin altogether, to start with one injection of slow release and one of fasting acting in the morning and a one fast reacting injection in the evening both before meals
Thankyou for sharing, it seems your diabetes story happened quite quickly over a couple of years. It’s good you are being seen by consultants and a plan is in place. Interesting we both share the type 2...to type 1.5 late onset quite quickly.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My story -
Age 8 years 8 months - drinking a pint every 2 hours and peeing for England day and night. Dr said nothing wrong so my Mum bought some benedicts solution and test my urine in a glass jar heated on the gas stove. Mum took me back to Dr and really let rip so she was kicked out with me and took me to local hospital where I was admitted immediately and started on insulin. Glass and Chrome syringes with needles which were Giant compared to now. In Hospital for 5 weeks before allowed home. Testing was then pee on a strip and check the colours. First insulin reaction was cycling home from school scared witless because I did not know why I was seeing double and unstable on the bike.
As a teenager never even thought about any thing other than eating and never missing a meal.
Married school sweetheart 10 days after 21st birthday.
Only ever had 2 serious hypos - one warned would happen after changing from beef to human insulin.
Now having just seen my consultant for an annual review - no complications - compliment by consultant " T1 for 60+years - no complications - you have saved the NHS a fortune - you are a genius"
My comment - I can do anything that anyone else does BUT I always take my sandwiches with me.

My current rant >> Trying NHS freestyle libre because I want to leave the fingertips of steel club but just been told that next sensor will be at least 3 weeks and will probably be intermittent supply in the future, The trial so far - They fall off + not accurate (Even close) + you cannot get them on prescription on time. >> Just a waste of NHS funds and my time chasing problems and supply!

That's all from me for now - my pet wolf has just asked to go out so she can settle for the night
View attachment 37868

Thankyou for your story, I hope your pet wolf had a nice blast of air and then settled well! Wow it seems as if you have really taken control of diabetes your whole life, I admire you for that resilience and continual effort. My grandmother was type 1 and first I knew about it was seeing her take a glass bottle and a needle. Times certainly have changed and when I used insulin it was in a preloaded syringe.
I too married my college sweetheart, I didn’t have diabetes then hehe.