Thinking about trying BCG vaccine

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would mean bypassing the NHS and asking a private doctor to stick me. Nothing to lose??

I've just read it shows promise for "numerous inflammatory and autoimmune diseases" - and that sentence might as well be my middle name

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not convinced, BCG used to be routine in the UK so a lot of the older (say over 40) T1s would have had it.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not convinced, BCG used to be routine in the UK so a lot of the older (say over 40) T1s would have had it.
They gave them to school children until 2005.
I had mine 2 or 3 years after diagnosis and sadly did not get cured ;)

Edited to get rid of the double negative :wacky:

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They gave them to school children until 2005.
I had mine 2 or 3 years after diagnosis and sadly did not get cured ;)

Edited to get rid of the double negative :wacky:

It's no cure but you didn't note any stability at least?

There are findings that some people did, and for years

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would mean bypassing the NHS and asking a private doctor to stick me. Nothing to lose??

I've just read it shows promise for "numerous inflammatory and autoimmune diseases" - and that sentence might as well be my middle name

Hi,

I must of slipped through the net when they were dosing up the rest of the school.

Probably at a D clinic at the time? ;)

Do have a link to where you read this info on the BCG jabs?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My entire school class got the BCG when I was nine. Didn't stop any of the multiple autoimmune conditions I have.

If most of the school population was getting the BCG jab, and the BCG 'stabilises' autoimmune conditions, then surely when they stopped vaccinating at school there should have been an increase in the number of children getting these conditions. Was there? Anybody know?

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My entire school class got the BCG when I was nine. Didn't stop any of the multiple autoimmune conditions I have.

If most of the school population was getting the BCG jab, and the BCG 'stabilises' autoimmune conditions, then surely when they stopped vaccinating at school there should have been an increase in the number of children getting these conditions. Was there? Anybody know?

Autoimmune disease has unquestionably increased. Not sure if that data has been cross-referenced though, that's a good idea. I know the BCG lasts for a maximum of 15 years and then it ceases to be protective. I had it in school too, 15 years ago o_O

But of course there is a genetic competent making us eventually susceptible anyway