Twice daily injecting premixed insulin 75/25.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...yesterday I attended diabetic clinic and was told that my pancreas is now producing some insulin which is unusual for me they said, being 16 years diabetic. Forgot to ask them do I need to be careful not to inject too much insulin. As the extra insulin could lower them further. I haven't had any bad effects yet ... cheers Kevin..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi...yesterday I attended diabetic clinic and was told that my pancreas is now producing some insulin which is unusual for me they said, being 16 years diabetic. Forgot to ask them do I need to be careful not to inject too much insulin. As the extra insulin could lower them further. I haven't had any bad effects yet ... cheers Kevin..
Hi Kevin - I'm not totally clear on the issue here.

Is the issue that you seem to be making a bit more of your own insulin and are therefore a bit concerned that your insulin levels might now be a bit high?

If that is the case, you really need to call the clinic and ask the question. None of us can tell you how much insulin you need, or how much would be too much.

If I got the question wrong, would you mind clarifying, so that we can try to help?

I need the meantime, do lots of testing to see where your numbers are running. That way you might be able to see whether the amount of insulin you are taking is causing you any potential issues.

Fingers crossed for you.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kevin - I'm not totally clear on the issue here.

Is the issue that you seem to be making a bit more of your own insulin and are therefore a bit concerned that your insulin levels might now be a bit high?

If that is the case, you really need to call the clinic and ask the question. None of us can tell you how much insulin you need, or how much would be too much.

If I got the question wrong, would you mind clarifying, so that we can try to help?

I need the meantime, do lots of testing to see where your numbers are running. That way you might be able to see whether the amount of insulin you are taking is causing you any potential issues.

Fingers crossed for you.
Hi. There's been no adverse reaction so far. Guess I'll need to visit clinic and get some more info. About 7 years ago, I forgot to inject one morning but when I got home in the evening, my sugars were 6.5 I think which surprised me somewhat suggesting that I was producing some insulin even then. So I'm not overly worried about this situation. Maybe they've never checked pancreas before. I asked my doctor a few months ago about that situation and maybe this is on foot of that. Cheers Kevin.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've actually been producing some insulin from the very start of my diagnosis. I'm not type one so must have some insulin. This has been allowed for in the dosage.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.just wondering why a diabetic on premixed insulin would check sugar levels regularly when I can only inject twice daily. I know it's about weighing up the food to match the insulin but I never got round to that. Still I can achieve 5.5 in the evening sometimes.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.just wondering why a diabetic on premixed insulin would check sugar levels regularly when I can only inject twice daily. I know it's about weighing up the food to match the insulin but I never got round to that. Still I can achieve 5.5 in the evening sometimes.

Because hypos can happen and with your mixed insulin, you cannot adjust the dose for any food that you eat.

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Hi,

I used to use Mix25 and inject around 6:30 am. This is fine for breakfast but come midday I had no rapid acting insulin left circulating around to cope with lunch.

So when I started injecting I would always end up with pretty high levels by mid afternoon. So it was fairly essential to monitor my blood glucose between injections.

With insulin you also need to know if you're going too low of course.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Had they tested your insulin production at all? Or is it because you have been having hypos?

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I went back next day and they said not to worry as I wasn't producing too much insulin. It's been ok but this evening I got a 4.4. admittedly I didn't eat as much as usual so that probably explains that. I think people who inject premixed insulin twice daily still produce some insulin. Was told it's only type 1 diabetics who don't produce any insulin. Cheers Kevin....

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I used to use Mix25 and inject around 6:30 am. This is fine for breakfast but come midday I had no rapid acting insulin left circulating around to cope with lunch.thanks for your reply.
Hi,

I used to use Mix25 and inject around 6:30 am. This is fine for breakfast but come midday I had no rapid acting insulin left circulating around to cope with lunch.

So when I started injecting I would always end up with pretty high levels by mid afternoon. So it was fairly essential to monitor my blood glucose between injections.

Hi.thanks for your reply. How much insulin did you inject in the morning. I inject 18 units at 09.15 am. And I can achieve 6.0 or so in the evening. Sometimes 5.3. I know that one unit of the rapid acting part of the mix lowers levels by 3.0 mmol. Hope that's right. Cheers Kevin..

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi.thanks for your reply. How much insulin did you inject in the morning. I inject 18 units at 09.15 am. And I can achieve 6.0 or so in the evening. Sometimes 5.3. I know that one unit of the rapid acting part of the mix lowers levels by 3.0 mmol. Hope that's right. Cheers Kevin..

At that time I was injecting 12 units in the morning. My breakfast is normally around 30g of carbs of one form or another and I was still on the starting ratio of 1 to 10 so 25% of 12 is of course 3. (Turned out that 1 to 10 insulin to carbs ratio was wrong for me but that's a different issue).

With 9 units of longer acting insulin in my system I was then often going hypo almost every morning around 11ish. The perfect time for a coffee and biscuit!

For me 1 unit of rapid acting insulin seems to lower my levels by around 2mmol but you may well be more sensitive to insulin than I am.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all that. I don't know how to calculate carbs/insulin ratio. Any advice most welcome... Cheers Kevin...

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At that time I was injecting 12 units in the morning. My breakfast is normally around 30g of carbs of one form or another and I was still on the starting ratio of 1 to 10 so 25% of 12 is of course 3. (Turned out that 1 to 10 insulin to carbs ratio was wrong for me but that's a different issue).

With 9 units of longer acting insulin in my system I was then often going hypo almost every morning around 11ish. The perfect time for a coffee and biscuit!

For me 1 unit of rapid acting insulin seems to lower my levels by around 2mmol but you may well be more sensitive to insulin than I am.
Hi .this is a different type of query. On my recent 6 monthly visit to the diabetic clinic, I was told that there would not be a need for a urine test. I'm still wondering why this was..