Carnivore Corner

D

Deleted member 308541

Simple carni breakfast yesterday included a meaty mushroom, the bacon was not very fat though...

VO3RzFh.jpg

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure where to ask this:

What is the best way to cook lamb leg please? I have tried roasting it for several hours on a low heat, and it was still a bit too tough for me to eat.

I think, considering the time of year and the size it might have been from an older sheep? It was a local sheep from our local butcher.

D

Deleted member 308541

What is the best way to cook lamb leg please? I have tried roasting it for several hours on a low heat, and it was still a bit too tough for me to eat.
I go by the internal temperature when roasting meat, whether it's in the oven or barbeque using a meat thermometer like the one I have in the fridge.

Which will be around 70°celcius for a mutton leg.

ncK7nHD.jpg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roast leg of lamb, my absolute favourite. Cooking times and temperature is on google, depending upon weight. I rack up the temp for the first 20 minutes. Add water to the tin for the last 40 minutes or so to use as part of the gravy.

If you are a garlic fan, stab all over and insert a sliver. Also use rosemary if you like it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast leg of lamb, my absolute favourite. Cooking times and temperature is on google, depending upon weight. I rack up the temp for the first 20 minutes. Add water to the tin for the last 40 minutes or so to use as part of the gravy.

If you are a garlic fan, stab all over and insert a sliver. Also use rosemary if you like it.
I followed Google, and the meat was tough, so I am looking for a different way to cook it.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner = 400g raw salted lamb's liver. Tasted like nothing else. Primal satiety.

Will update if I survive the night :nailbiting::nurse:
Wow! That's a lot of liver at one hit. Hope to see another post.... :D
Mine normally lasts 4 days!

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed Google, and the meat was tough, so I am looking for a different way to cook it.
If roasted meat is tough, it generally boils down to a lack of resting the meat. Don't carve (hard to resist the temptation, I know) for 20 mins.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you even read my post? Forget it.
Sorry Lucy, I did miss the local bit, under the weather. I normally get mine from a farm, I know the sheep Personally. Normally it is fabulous. The animals are slaughtered without stress.

One time, they included with my order a leg from a farm up the road. That was as tough as old boots.

Don't know where you live, if you can get your hands on herdwick, a smaller beastie which takes longer to finish, it is amazing and worth the extra expense. We had one for christmas.

Older lamb should be declared as such. A year old is hoggart. 2 years old is mutton. Herdwick mutton is amazing.

Mutton of any description is fab. Large pan, frozen stew, you can't beat it.

Reactions: Lotties

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 you are in Wales, home of the best lamb in the world, I would complain to the butcher. Even NZ lamb that has been frozen for a year isn't tough just whacked in the oven for couple of hours, no special treatment. I think you have grounds for complaint.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure where to ask this:

I think, considering the time of year and the size it might have been from an older sheep? It was a local sheep from our local butcher.
I find low and slow is best for lamb shoulder.
Leg I usually do hot and fast, usually butterflied, on the barbecue.. I like it pink and usually done in under 40 minutes.

Gazzamius

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi. i cannot wait to have this discussion with my diabetic nurse, about the fact that it isn't the Cholesterol that plays the big part in CHD. but the Hypertriglyceride levels from eating Hi Carb. fantastic study and lecture by Prof Tim Noakes .... i will follow this mans advice... he has been put through HELL by the charlatans still promoting Hi Carb - Low Fat. long may his voice be heard. a man not scared to stand up and be proved right through all the years of fighting for the truth. Hats OFF Mr Noakes.

Reactions: Flora123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t tried this yet, but intend to - bone marrow butter! Found on Facebook.

Bone marrow butter - with or without herbs/spices. Apparently good with steak.

Ingredients

1kg (2 pounds) of marrow bones cut into short lengths
3-5 cloves of garlic, peeled
5 tablespoons ghee or organic butter, softened (room temperature)
1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, choppped
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste

Steps

Soak bones in water and refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (or 400F)
Place beef bones and garlic cloves in a large baking dish. Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Remove bones and let cool for approximately 10-15 minutes. Insert a small knife in the end of the bones. Swirl around where the marrow meets the bone and the marrow should slide right out.
In a food processor, place the marrow and the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
On your countertop place a piece of plastic wrap. Spoon the butter onto the plastic. Wrap the end near you over the butter. Wrap the far end back toward you. Twist the sides until you form a little "sausage". Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up, then cut into rounds and store in freezer until needed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t tried this yet, but intend to - bone marrow butter! Found on Facebook.

Bone marrow butter - with or without herbs/spices. Apparently good with steak.

Ingredients

1kg (2 pounds) of marrow bones cut into short lengths
3-5 cloves of garlic, peeled
5 tablespoons ghee or organic butter, softened (room temperature)
1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, choppped
sea salt and ground pepper, to taste

Steps

Soak bones in water and refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (or 400F)
Place beef bones and garlic cloves in a large baking dish. Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Remove bones and let cool for approximately 10-15 minutes. Insert a small knife in the end of the bones. Swirl around where the marrow meets the bone and the marrow should slide right out.
In a food processor, place the marrow and the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
On your countertop place a piece of plastic wrap. Spoon the butter onto the plastic. Wrap the end near you over the butter. Wrap the far end back toward you. Twist the sides until you form a little "sausage". Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up, then cut into rounds and store in freezer until needed.

Sounds amazing, and I bet it would be quite wonderful for cooking, or searing meats. In my world, there might be more garlic included, but that's just to my taste.

I have recently encountered an entry on a menu here for Bone Marrow Spicey Soup. There was no more detail, but looking said title up on t'interweb, it seems it may contain noodles, so haven't dived in,..... yet.its not MrBs sort of thing, so I wouldn't be able to persuade him to be the sacrificial researcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barb McD

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds amazing, and I bet it would be quite wonderful for coking, or searing meats. In my world, there might be more garlic included, but that's just to my taste.

I have recently encountered an entry on a menu here for Bone Marrow Spicey Soup. There was no more detail, but looking said title up on t'interweb, it seems it may contain noodles, so haven't dived in,..... yet.its not MrBs sort of thing, so I wouldn't be able to persuade him to be the sacrificial researcher.

Does sound fab. Hoping that my stick blender will be up to the job - but first need the marrow bones!

Deciphering menus can be tricky. One time when I was out that way, in my attempts to avoid undue spice I picked something benign sounding like ‘papaya salad’ only to find it was waaaay too hot and spicy. Can’t remember what the offender was, but it sure did offend!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does sound fab. Hoping that my stick blender will be up to the job - but first need the marrow bones!

Deciphering menus can be tricky. One time when I was out that way, in my attempts to avoid undue spice I picked something benign sounding like ‘papaya salad’ only to find it was waaaay too hot and spicy. Can’t remember what the offender was, but it sure did offend!
I'd think your stick blender will work. There's nothing heavy duty in there. I'd suggest you be very careful when cleaning the blender blades though, as the butter will stick and you'll not want to leave any behind.

The papaya salads I have had have usually had a fair amount of chilli in the dressing.

Cue spooky music. I almost had papaya salad tonight, but opted for Tom Yam Gai instead. (Hot and sour soup wit her loads of herbs, and chicken. This one had some coconut milk in which is unusual.)