Why do eggs make sugars spike

auttycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When seeing my dietitian they told me I would not have to give myself insulin when having eggs since they are protein. However I find that when I have eggs (I do not use ketchup just hot sauce) I do need to give myself insulin to keep my sugars from becoming high.

Does anybody have a similar experience when having eggs?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello yes, protein spikes me too, especially eggs. So it’s not just you, I do a small amount of insulin for it.

M

Member496333

Very complex conversation. Shortest answer is that yes, under certain conditions protein can be insulinogenic. Specifically if carbohydrate or fat consumption is too low, leaving the body little choice but to construct glucose from the protein.

Oh PS. Welcome to the forums!

PPS. If protein in eggs presents a problem for you then you could use less whites and more yolks. I expect your ideal strategy will hinge largely on your diabetes type.

Last edited by a moderator:

auttycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very complex conversation. Shortest answer is that yes, under certain conditions protein can be insulinogenic. Specifically if carbohydrate or fat consumption is too low, leaving the body little choice but to construct glucose from the protein.

Oh PS. Welcome to the forums!

PPS. If protein in eggs presents a problem for you then you could use less whites and more yolks. I expect your ideal strategy will hinge largely on your diabetes type.

I am a type 1 diabetic, I have now updated my profile. Thank you for the information and the welcome! My dietitian just suggested not having eggs before bed if I have to give insulin for them or to include a piece of toast so there is a reason for the insulin. I'm having a hard time finding a good breakfast that is on the lower side of carbs that do cause my sugars to spike. I always find that if I check my sugars around the 2 hour mark they will be higher than expected but will come down into a normal range within 4-5 hours.

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When seeing my dietitian they told me I would not have to give myself insulin when having eggs since they are protein. However I find that when I have eggs (I do not use ketchup just hot sauce) I do need to give myself insulin to keep my sugars from becoming high.

Whats in the 'hot sauce'?

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
So what's the significance for T2's ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes this is something that I have to deal with. Gluconeogenesis is a good google search to undertake as a type 1 for some interesting information.

M

Member496333

So what's the significance for T2's ?

Not necessarily specific to eggs, but potentially very similar as far as protein goes in general. Depending on the severity of insulin resistance and myriad other factors, some seem to have no reaction at all, while others are very sensitive. I've come to believe that TOFI (whose bodies don't want to give up much stored fat for fuel) who are not consuming much carbohydrate and are eating too little fat, may experience rampant gluconeogenesis. Especially with a super insulin resistant fatty liver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuck

If you eat the eggs in the morning you may also need more insulin. You can have a situation where your body prepares for the day by making more sugar to give you a boost.