New diagnosis LADA

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, found out recently I am late onset and but confused as to what happens next. I’ve been on gliclazide for a few weeks (now max dose) and it took until very recently to get my numbers down. I was eating a lot to try and regain weight (lost during relationship meltdown) and gradually reduced my carbs. I’m still eating lots of healthy fats and protein and feel really good for it. The last few days have been around the 5.4 to 6.9 mark before meals (6.7 fasting this morning) and the nurse wants to start me on insulin next week. She thinks I developed diabetes in the last 2-3 months. Is it best to get started on insulin as soon as possible, would that be the healthiest thing to do?
Also, I’ve been wondering why this all happened. Is there a link to stress? I did have the worst six months in late 2019, everything that could go wrong went wrong and on a daily basis. Sorry, I guess nobody knows for sure do they.
Any advice would be great. Just ordered some books to swot up on things as I like to research everything and I’m scared of hypos with insulin. I’ve got a carb counting app and trying to get on the diabetes course.

Reactions: KB1978

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked exactly the same question when I first arrived here a month ago

Yes, get on insulin, it can prolong you and you will feel better. I was also under stress, troubled gaining weight and there is a link to other autoimmune disorders too. Whatever the cause, we're here now and you're in good hands

Reactions: 85percent

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked exactly the same question when I first arrived here a month ago

Yes, get on insulin, it can prolong you and you will feel better. I was also under stress, troubled gaining weight and there is a link to other autoimmune disorders too. Whatever the cause, we're here now and you're in good hands

Thanks for replying, I guess I was hoping you’d say no as I’m a bit scared of insulin! I do have psoriasis (in my ears weirdly, it’s just come back) and read a little about a possible connection. How are you finding insulin?

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replying, I guess I was hoping you’d say no as I’m a bit scared of insulin! I do have psoriasis (in my ears weirdly, it’s just come back) and read a little about a possible connection. How are you finding insulin?

I have psoriasis too. Insulin is a piece of cake (not that we should eat that) but you barely feel it. It' won't take long for you to get into a routine and live pretty much normal

Reactions: JMoli

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed when I was 43. Not in the family, no illness that could have triggered it and i wasnt stressed either.

Go on insulin. It gives you more flexibility and there is some evidence it can prolong your beta cells.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I am a year down the road from diagnosis of Type 1. It came as shock. It does take time to adjust. Take one day at a time.

Like you one thing that really worried me initially were hypos. While that is something that is still there it is not as such a big thing and I now feel much more control.

Use this site and your Diabetes team for support.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed when I was 43. Not in the family, no illness that could have triggered it and i wasnt stressed either.

Go on insulin. It gives you more flexibility and there is some evidence it can prolong your beta cells.

Thanks, I have an appointment on Tuesday with the nurse to tell me all about insulin - I think I was hoping not to use it yet but I guess the sooner the better. It’s so strange isn’t it, to develop it and not understand why. I know I shouldn’t really question why as I’ll never know but I do wonder if it was from a stomach virus or stress, and I also had a kidney (and ear) infection in October. Thanks for replying, it really helps to know other people are there and have been through this and understand

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I am a year down the road from diagnosis of Type 1. It came as shock. It does take time to adjust. Take one day at a time.

Like you one thing that really worried me initially were hypos. While that is something that is still there it is not as such a big thing and I now feel much more control.

Use this site and your Diabetes team for support.

Thanks, that’s reassuring. Does it help to keep monitoring your blood sugars a lot in the initial few weeks/months? I’m getting pretty used to the finger pricking although some days it’s like getting blood out of a stone!

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,

I would say it does. Definitely check, first thing in the morning, before breakfast, then pre lunch and evening meal. Lastly before bed. The nurse you see next week will guide you on what level you should be before bed.

Get your questions ready for your appt next week.

Take care

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I also say use it. There may be times when you have a lower carb meal for example, that you don't use any fast acting and it may be that you will only need a few units of long acting. At least you will have access to it and some say that it will give any remaining beta cells a rest thus prolonging the inevitable (when you get to a stage where you definitely need it).

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm less than a year after diagnosis as type 1
Total shock. Doesnt run in family
I was put straight on to Insulin..scary but totally necessary.
For me I got a libre straight away. Recommended by consultant. I self funded to start with. Now have it on the NHS. I couldn't do without it. It eases so much anxiety associated with low sugars. Have you thought of having some sort of cgm?

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I have an appointment on Tuesday with the nurse to tell me all about insulin - I think I was hoping not to use it yet but I guess the sooner the better. It’s so strange isn’t it, to develop it and not understand why. I know I shouldn’t really question why as I’ll never know but I do wonder if it was from a stomach virus or stress, and I also had a kidney (and ear) infection in October. Thanks for replying, it really helps to know other people are there and have been through this and understand
I also has a really really stressful year before diagnosis

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm less than a year after diagnosis as type 1
Total shock. Doesnt run in family
I was put straight on to Insulin..scary but totally necessary.
For me I got a libre straight away. Recommended by consultant. I self funded to start with. Now have it on the NHS. I couldn't do without it. It eases so much anxiety associated with low sugars. Have you thought of having some sort of cgm?

Hi, not sure what a cgm is? They knew to put you on insulin straight away? I was put on gliclazide as I have had IBS issues in the past and was underweight. They were monitoring my blood sugar readings (the first week I had a bad cold and throat infection but eating lots to try and regain weight) and until the last week they were stubbornly around the 10-12 mark but now 5-7 ish with a 4.9 today before lunch. Not sure if the medication is working at last or I’m in a honeymoon phase that I’ve been reading about.
That’s interesting about the stress too, have there been studies about a link to that do you know? I’m not fixating on why I got this but just a bit interested I suppose! Do you eat low carb or are you able to eat most things without much worry? Sorry if I’ve waffled on a bit

Reactions: Mad76

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, not sure what a cgm is? They knew to put you on insulin straight away? I was put on gliclazide as I have had IBS issues in the past and was underweight. They were monitoring my blood sugar readings (the first week I had a bad cold and throat infection but eating lots to try and regain weight) and until the last week they were stubbornly around the 10-12 mark but now 5-7 ish with a 4.9 today before lunch. Not sure if the medication is working at last or I’m in a honeymoon phase that I’ve been reading about.
That’s interesting about the stress too, have there been studies about a link to that do you know? I’m not fixating on why I got this but just a bit interested I suppose! Do you eat low carb or are you able to eat most things without much worry? Sorry if I’ve waffled on a bit
Hi,
I was hospitalised with DKA and that's how they diagnosed me as type 1. Yep straight on to insulin. I wasnt allowed to leave hospital till I knew how to inject.i think I was in honeymoon up until recently i was on low doses of insulin

I'm not sure if there are studies linking stress to diagnosis. But from reading around it seems like it might be a potential cause. I'm not sure. I do often wonder how I got this disease as noone in my family has it and I wasnt Ill or anything beforehand.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. I have the libre. It's basically like a small sensor that goes on your arm. And it tells your blood glucose readings without doing a finger prick. Mines connected by bluetooth to my phone. Sends readings every 5 minutes. Its actually amazing. I would struggle massively without it

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont eat low carb to be honest
Love my food too much
But
Am thinking to try reduce carbs so I can lose some weight really
I think it's ok to have carbs as long as you take correct amounts of insulin

MollieB

Hi, found out recently I am late onset and but confused as to what happens next. I’ve been on gliclazide for a few weeks (now max dose)
Newly diagnosed can be a tough trying to control your glucose. I agree a CGMS would almost definitely prove beneficial. Being newly diagnosed, you may have some beta cell function still (meaning your "insulin makers" are still making insulin). It can be sporadic though, which is what can make this time period so challenging. If they do start you on insulin you probably be sure to be off the gliclazide. Gliclazide belongs to the sulfonylurea drug class, it job is to tell the beta cells to produce MORE insulin, but it is not glucose dependent (Meaning it only works with the glucose is high). Combining it with insulin would put you had a greater chance of low blood sugar, and it could occur very randomly.

Reactions: JMoli and Mad76

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
For myself, I stayed off insulin for as long as I could. I waited until my HbA1c reached 6.5%. I managed two years before having to start insulin. I was only on Metformin.
However, I believe insulin is better than gliclazide for a type 1 patient. There is evidence that sulphonylureas "burn out" beta cells faster than other diabetes medications, as type 1's are producing limited insulin anyway. If you are having to take gliclazide to control your blood sugars then I think you're ready for insulin.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it. I was wondering what is the best glucose monitor to buy? They would possibly alert me to hypos do you think? Hypos are currently my main anxiety! (of which I have many with anything medical) I’ve had to delay my diabetic nurse appointment until the following week as school is off next week (childcare problems) so I won’t be able to get started on insulin just yet but I’m feeling more positive about it.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

You do not need to buy a meter and testing strips. You will get these on prescription along with all the rest of the things you need.

You could contact your DSN and ask for one in advance of your appointment. Failing that your GP practice should be able to provide you with one.

Pleased to here you are feeling more positive about things