Disappointed

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the results of my latest Hba1c last week and it’s gone up. I’ve been 36 for the last 18 months or so and it’s gone up to 41. Not a huge jump, but considering how totally strict I am, its a blow.

I don’t understand. Nothing has changed. I am 20g or lower but over the last 6 months my reading have been creeping up and up. Even when I eat nothing I still rarely get below 6 or 7. I’m not sure I can cut much more out without making life a total misery. I tried upping my fats considerably (I was hungry and protein seemed to make my levels rise) but I’ve today noticed I’ve started putting on weight! Something new to me so that’s been stopped. My readings after a meal are fine in that I haven’t spiked, just consistently too high for my liking.

Doc doesn’t seem bothered. Any wise words please. Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd recommend keeping a detailed food diary of absolutely everything you take in over a week and check your carb levels.
They can sometimes start to creep up without us noticing..

M

Member496333

In all honesty that jump doesn't really mean a whole lot. The test is never 100% accurate and can vary lab-to-lab, as well as being affected by other factors, all of which are fluid. But of course you know your own body and you've seen your numbers rising. What kind of things do you eat? It's not all necessarily about the carbohydrate. Do you avoid seed oils? Do you use sweeteners? Have you tried intermittent fasting to try to burn off any remaining ectopic fat that would be causing hyperinsulinemia?

Reactions: Flora123

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up psychological insulin resistance aka adaptive glucose sparing. Could that be it? This is not uncommon, nor is it problematic, on a keto diet.

M

Member496333

To add, if I were in your shoes right now, my plan would be to arrange/buy an insulin test. If insulin is high then diet is the problem. If it’s low then you may be developing a deficiency which might indicate T1/LADA.

Also, your hunger may be being driven by a nutritional deficiency rather than lack of fuel.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As suggested you could try slightly increasing carbs (square of 2 of dark choc at bedtime) so that physioogical insulin resistance isn't triggered but overall I would not be concerned by a little creep upwards given that even a cold could have produced a little more IR in your body or extra glucose to fight a virus. Sleep deprivation and being stressed about a rigid dietary pattern could do the same via cortisol.
Doing some long walks after meals may help with all of this (or swimming, cycling).

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd recommend keeping a detailed food diary of absolutely everything you take in over a week and check your carb levels.
They can sometimes start to creep up without us noticing..

Thanks. I did start doing that and it was low. I discontinued as I kept forgetting. I’ll start again just to make sure but most foods are eggs for breakfast with a couple of slices of salami, salad and then meat/veg dinner. I often follow my old diary from a year ago but get very different readings. If anything my carbs are lower than back then.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In all honesty that jump doesn't really mean a whole lot. The test is never 100% accurate and can vary lab-to-lab, as well as being affected by other factors, all of which are fluid. But of course you know your own body and you've seen your numbers rising. What kind of things do you eat? It's not all necessarily about the carbohydrate. Do you avoid seed oils? Do you use sweeteners? Have you tried intermittent fasting to try to burn off any remaining ectopic fat that would be causing hyperinsulinemia?

Thanks Jim. Yes I’ve avoided seed oils for years, apart from mayo as I can’t find any without it. I only gave sweetener in the odd Diet Coke or tonic. I have tested several times after and it doesn’t cause a rise. I stopped my Occasional Smints as I’m sure they started to cause a rise.

I have tried IF and it used to work but not so much now and I was so worried about losing weight that I stopped. I was getting far too thin. I only generally have TMAD.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To add, if I were in your shoes right now, my plan would be to arrange/buy an insulin test. If insulin is high then diet is the problem. If it’s low then you may be developing a deficiency which might indicate T1/LADA.

Also, your hunger may be being driven by a nutritional deficiency rather than lack of fuel.

That is a good idea. I had one a year ago my fasting insulin was 0.84. I should probably have another. I’ll research who does it as I used Medichecks before.

Feeling a little out of control...

Jim. What kind of nutritional deficiency? I do take supplements.

M

Member496333

Just FYI my comment regarding sweeteners was because they can stimulate insulin release and therefore worsen hyperinsulinemia. Not because of blood glucose.

In any case, from what you’re saying I really think it may be wise to have your insulin levels tested.

EDIT: cross posted. 0.84 is very low...

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just FYI my comment regarding sweeteners was because they can stimulate insulin release and therefore worsen hyperinsulinemia. Not because of blood glucose.

In any case, from what you’re saying I really think it may be wise to have your insulin levels tested.

EDIT: cross posted. 0.84 is very low...

I hadn’t thought if that Re sweetness and insulin. I’ll make an effort to stop but it is one of my few pleasures in life.

On the range for insulin on my results it was 0.0 - 1.0. I think I may have posted the wrong result. This is what I received
IMG_4916.jpg

M

Member496333

So @JimLahey what should I get testing. Insulin or insulin resistance?

In your situation I would want to know that my fasting insulin wasn’t low while fasting glucose was simultaneously elevated. That’s the first step, in my opinion. C-peptide night then be a good idea to see how you react to food. Or of course you could carry on and just monitor things for a while. Sadly, with your numbers still being good, I don’t imagine you would get a GP to show much interest in any further investigation.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I had a c peptide in diagnosis but was told it was ok. I agree, although numbers ok my doc will not be interested until I get worse, which I’m hoping I can get a grip on this again. Thanks for your help

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As suggested you could try slightly increasing carbs (square of 2 of dark choc at bedtime) so that physioogical insulin resistance isn't triggered but overall I would not be concerned by a little creep upwards given that even a cold could have produced a little more IR in your body or extra glucose to fight a virus. Sleep deprivation and being stressed about a rigid dietary pattern could do the same via cortisol.
Doing some long walks after meals may help with all of this (or swimming, cycling).

Thanks. I find if I have any carbs late at night my BG is high all morning - I used to have a few nuts in the evening but gave those up. I do have high cortisol levels in the morning (I had a full hormone test two years ago). It was off the chart mid morning. I do feel less stressed these days.
I must admit that I don’t exercise as much as I used to, but still on the go most of the day. I gave up my gym membership due to cost but may have to find another way. Walking at the moment is so cold!!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I find if I have any carbs late at night my BG is high all morning - I used to have a few nuts in the evening but gave those up. I do have high cortisol levels in the morning (I had a full hormone test two years ago). It was off the chart mid morning. I do feel less stressed these days.
I must admit that I don’t exercise as much as I used to, but still on the go most of the day. I gave up my gym membership due to cost but may have to find another way. Walking at the moment is so cold!!
Hi - just sending my favourite 5 minute (inside) ktichen worktop with Dr Chatterjee! This and some yoga may even help ease the cortisol levels too. Btw other hormonal changes can really impact IR as you probably already know....