Soapbox

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I can't seem to find appropriate topic sorry if wrong post.

Ive just spent a week in hospital with high blood sugars, kidney infection apparently one step from sepsis. Hospital treatment faultless, but NHS training in diabetes and diet is abysmal and just short of dangerous
This is incredible. Not only do they not provide for diabetics but the nurse said she is diabetic and she eats carbs, and her sugars are much higher than mine because she eats chocolate - she doesn't seem to understand about carbs and she said her eye sight is damaged. She telling I can eat carbs. We nearly had a fight. I was so hungry and I told her - on offer - pasta bake, onion quiche or shepherd's pie were things I cannot eat. She insisted cooked carrots are fine. She said yes you can eat it. I said no I can't- she said yes you can - on my last day she came and asked what I could eat and kitchen would cook it. I told her chicken and vegetables.!Simple, why I need to argue with her, she very happily told me 'I can eat that and my blood sugar much higher than yours' - that's alright then! She printed up a copy of diet on NHS website - which so outdated and under informed it's not worth a second glance.
My high sugars brought me in there and I staunchly refuse to eat them carb laden food! Nobody else will take care of my sugars if not myself!

mouseee

It angers me that sp many diets are catered for but not low carb in any way. My mum was in hospital over christmas and I kept looking at the menu and wondering what I'd eat... my mum is t2 on insulin and the menu was useless for her. Not that she worries about her diet... hence her stay in hospital!

M

Member496333

Well done for standing your ground. It’s up to her what she wants to do to her body, but you did the right thing in not being cajoled by her choices.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I recently had similar experience, luckily only in overnight so didn’t get too hungry. It is appalling.

Reactions: ExChocoholic

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
It angers me that sp many diets are catered for but not low carb in any way. My mum was in hospital over christmas and I kept looking at the menu and wondering what I'd eat... my mum is t2 on insulin and the menu was useless for her. Not that she worries about her diet... hence her stay in hospital!
Yes. I thought to myself that nurse will not go on indefinitely with high sugars, if over 20 she insists is her choclate eating - the diabetes is probably causing craving and even if she stopped that alone would not take her to normal levels. I told her to take my advice and look into. I saw the blank reply of her face - sadly she may end up like your mum - who I hope is ok now. I'm not perfect but I try.

M

Member496333

I think the reason low-carb is not offered as a hospital menu for diabetes patients is because doing so would be an admission that the standard dietary advice that’s been given to them for the past few decades has been a calamity that cost countless limbs and lives.