Libre sensor removal

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I being a wuss (or an idiot!) But how do you remove the freestyle libre sensor - just pull?? Can't find any instructions anywhere and mine seems welded on!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Am I being a wuss (or an idiot!) But how do you remove the freestyle libre sensor - just pull?? Can't find any instructions anywhere and mine seems welded on!

Yes, you're being a wuss! What works for me is, instead of trying to rip the plaster off, just start teasing the sensor off the plaster, should pull off ok after a while leaving the plaster in place, then you can roll the plaster off. Some people do it in the shower as a bit of soap and water helps out if it's really sticky.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you're being a wuss! What works for me is, instead of trying to rip the plaster off, just start teasing the sensor off the plaster, should pull off ok after a while leaving the plaster in place, then you can roll the plaster off. Some people do it in the shower as a bit of soap and water helps out if it's really sticky.
Not as wussy as you think! Managed it quite easily now I had the confirmation to just pull it off! I was just concerned I might be doing it wrong!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find the adhesive to be the stickiest thing I have ever encountered! I need an awful lot of oomph to get the little so-and-sos OFF!

Sorry to hear you've had a dud, @charliebarker .

Reactions: gvintagedrken

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the adhesive to be the stickiest thing I have ever encountered! I need an awful lot of oomph to get the little so-and-sos OFF!

Sorry to hear you've had a dud, @charliebarker .

Yeah, although they're replacing it without question......re the stickiness, that's why I was worried I was doing it wrong! It was like superglue! Managed it eventually though! Thank god I'd only have to do it once a fortnight!

christine1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you guys get these things to stick in the first place? I've gone through four sensors in ten days, every time I run and sweat they drop off me- same with my omnipod. I've ordered skin tac from us but Abbott say not to use it

jimbaxter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find they are easier to remove after the 14 days. When they fail after a day they are much stickier.

I remove them by teasing around the edge of the tape first then the rest comes off.

drew900uk

Yup. Just get a hold of the adhesive ring and prize it off in one fell swoop. Not that bad really (although I’ve got hairy arms!)

Jovifreak

How do you guys get these things to stick in the first place? I've gone through four sensors in ten days, every time I run and sweat they drop off me- same with my omnipod. I've ordered skin tac from us but Abbott say not to use it

I got mine 2 weeks ago and the libre rep recommended skin tac

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have a beautiful assistant to pull my sensor off my arm. :cool:
It does take quite a lot of pulling, though, then suddenly goes. :)
I put Kinesiology tape over the top of the sensor to stop it coming off.
I've never lost one, but I feel more comfortable (less paranoid) with a secure covering.
I use two strips at right angles in a cross. the strip underneath, I leave the backing on the middle bit so the tape doesn't stick to the sensor.
This means that if the tape gets tatty I can renew it without risking the tape pulling the sensor off.

johnb46

Only had it on for 48 hours as it was a dud one and needs to be sent back.
Hi CharlieBarker (looks like you made great progress; if only I can too.). In your post, you said you had to send back a dud sensor: who did you send it back to?
Reason for asking: I fitted my first sensor a couple of days ago and it made one reading before dying - 'sensor is ended'. The people I bought it from don't want to know ...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi CharlieBarker (looks like you made great progress; if only I can too.). In your post, you said you had to send back a dud sensor: who did you send it back to?
Reason for asking: I fitted my first sensor a couple of days ago and it made one reading before dying - 'sensor is ended'. The people I bought it from don't want to know ...

Hi @johnb46

You’ve replied to a very old thread and it looks like charliebarker hasn’t been around on the forum for a while.

Who did you buy the sensor from? Abbott are very good about replacing failed sensors bought direct from them, but I’m not sure whether they do this with sensors bought elsewhere. Would be worth giving them a call.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well there are a few ways to get them off
( 1) give it a gentle pull
I just get the adhesive strip and peel it
Or
(2) rub your arm against a door frame or catch it it a t shirt or a piece of clothing it’ll come off nae bother

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Took my first one off this morning, little tugging then found baby oil was ideal for removing adhesive.