Cannula insertion site getting sore

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else get soreness / redness / irritation around the cannula insertion site specifically? I'm not talking about the adhesive patch irritating me, just where the cannula goes in.

I'm using the Omnipod, so each one has a 3 day life. Occasionally I get unexplained highs on the 3rd day, so deducing this could be linked and hence affecting insulin absorbtion. Previously I've used pumps where the cannula is changed every 2 days and that seemed to be ok with my skin.

If you have experienced this, did you raise it with anyone? What advice did you get? My DSN is saying we may need to review my pump choice if it continues; and having been on both Medtronic and Accucheck 'tubed' pumps, I'm keen to avoid going back as I love the tubeless Omnipod concept.

Anyone tried a different tubeless pump? I gather trials have been going on in the UK with an Accuchek patch pump... anyone on here?

TIA,

Sam

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Does anyone else get soreness / redness / irritation around the cannula insertion site specifically? I'm not talking about the adhesive patch irritating me, just where the cannula goes in.
Sam

Hi Sam,
Yes, I do.
I started with my first pump in Oct 2019.
It is a t:slim X2, so it is not a patch pump, it has tubes and cannulas.

They started me off with Teflon cannulas, which were meant to be changed every 3 days. I found that on the 3rd day the site would start to hurt and also my BG readings would start to go high, no matter how much insulin I "tried" to put in to myself to compensate.

If I injected insulin on the 3rd day using my trusty pen, my levels would instantly drop down.

When taking out the Teflon cannulas atfter 3 days the insertion site would be a bit of a mess and sore.

I asked to change to steel cannulas.
I didn't realise that the steel versions have to be changed every 2 days.
I have not had as many problems with delivery of insulin with the steel cannulas.
( I have had ONE problem, where the steel cannula did not seem to work at all and the pump threw up an error that it could not pump insulin)

Whether the steel cannulas are better for me, or whether it is just because I am only wearing them for 2 days I am not sure.

Sometimes when in bed I roll onto the area where the steel cannula is sited and it feels like it is being pushed into my muscle. This is not a pleasant experience.

Up until now I have only injected into my tummy. I am considering a different site.

Good luck. I hope that this helps.
Tigs

Reactions: porl69

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes and I decided to change cannula type and to change it every second day. I am sure it helped.
Thanks Helen46. Unfortunately, with the Omnipod I can't change the cannula, as the technology is all integrated on the patch stuck to me. To go from 3 days per pod to 2 days per pod would also increase cost to NHS significantly, making it more likely that I'll end up on another pump. Am investigating options with my DSN, but thought I'd reach out here too.

Tonto73

Certainly Medtronic recommend a set change at 2 days. This is based on a clinical study and not related to a specific vendor. Also it will depend what insulin you are using; the excipients are different.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Helen46. Unfortunately, with the Omnipod I can't change the cannula, as the technology is all integrated on the patch stuck to me. To go from 3 days per pod to 2 days per pod would also increase cost to NHS significantly, making it more likely that I'll end up on another pump. Am investigating options with my DSN, but thought I'd reach out here too.

Hi @shedges - my friend has the Omnipod in Surrey and her DSN allowed her to change pods on day 2 as her sugars were also increasing. She orders slightly more supplies now but this all seems ok. I believe you can extract any insulin left inside?? I’m hoping to get the Omnipod in May. Hope all works out well.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Hi @shedges - my friend has the Omnipod in Surrey and her DSN allowed her to change pods on day 2 as her sugars were also increasing. She orders slightly more supplies now but this all seems ok. I believe you can extract any insulin left inside?? I’m hoping to get the Omnipod in May. Hope all works out well.

Yes. Insulin can be extracted from a pod by sucking it out with the filler.

I have cannula issues. I did use a pod once. Tubeless was neat, but site issues ended it as an option.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh - didn't know that about the insulin. Thanks for the tip :)

I'm now looking at the Accu-Chek Solo pump too ... in this one the pod lasts for months and you just change the cannula. You can also bolus from the pod which sounds ace. Just need to work out what the user interface is like, because the Accu-Chek Insight is/was a bit of a nightmare!

Hope the Omnipod goes well for you - were you offered the Solo as an option?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I'm on the accucheck insight and am now on my second round of it making it about 5 years. I can only use it on the lower part of my tummy and change cannula every two days now because too much insulin builds up in one place at the site otherwise. I've tried above my waste and it varies from sore straight away to getting sore and a lump much quicker at the site. I recently tried my upper thigh and felt comfortable for two days but when I changed it I had a large swollen area for several days after so back to lower tummy. Thing is I'm overweight and have plenty of tummy but I'm now getting insulin build up areas which stay swollen and sore for up to a week. If this happens I change my cannula straight away. I don't bolus large doses in one go and if I need more insulin straight away I administer it in one or two injections. I did try Ypsomed last year but didn't get in with it

AllyMac70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this is quite an old thread, but my 12 yr old daughter, who also has Type 1, was given an Omnipod last year. We had the same issues as SHedges has mentioned above. Her BG was OK first day, then rose steadily until it got to 23+ by the end of day 2. We continuously corrected her blood sugars using the pump but it made no difference. We were advised by the DSN to correct using her pen instead, and blood sugars returned to normal straight away. When each pod was removed, the cannula insertion site was often red and raised, and occasionally *****. We liaised with Omnipod's Medical Lead - UK and Benelux, who suggested that my daughter was suffering an auto-immune reaction to the cannula (he was aware of it happening on rare occasions) and that she should dis-continue use.