Is this a phenomenon anyone has? (caffeine-reactive hypoglycaemia)

Ellenor2000

I'm no doctor, but I have been T1 for 24 years. I gave up caffeine about 15 years ago because it messed with my BG and made my heart race (to the point where it was over 200 beats per minute! and I had to be put on a drip to bring it down). If I have it right, you are wondering if the caffeine itself is causing hypos... Someone else mentioned cortisol - my own thinking is that we tend to think of a simple cause and effect scenario: Caffeine = hypo. It isn't simple, I believe that it is possible that the caffeine causes a cortisol and/or adrenalin response, which sets off a whole chain reaction in the body which leads to a hypo. Decaff works for me.

But did it put your blood glucose low or high? You only say it was "messed with".

Ellenor2000

So you perceive a negative glycaemic affect and hypothesise that it may be the amount of caffeine in your diet but are unwilling to perform the simplest of tests (elimination) to test your hypothesis. You, instead, use cgm and test strips though you have not been diagnosed with RH or Diabetes.

Have I got this clear?
I cannot believe for even one half of one second that I even created this thread.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I cannot believe for even one half of one second that I even created this thread.
@Ellenor2000 can I clarify? Are you claiming not to have started this thread? If you are the OP you can delete it by removing the first post. If you genuinely believe you did not start it please look at your internet security.

Last edited:

Ellenor2000

@Ellenor2000 can I clarify? Are you claiming not to have started this thread? If you are the OP you can delete it by removing the first post. If you genuinely believe you did not start it please look at your internet security.
I remember starting the thread, and I don't exactly want to delete it. But I still am unable to believe that I did.

You ever get like that?

I would rather disable my account without deleting it (so my follies can be left in the public record until DDM decides to delete them) at this stage since I have gone and managed to Cause Problems™.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember starting the thread, and I don't exactly want to delete it. But I still am unable to believe that I did.

You ever get like that?

I would rather disable my account without deleting it (so my follies can be left in the public record until DDM decides to delete them) at this stage since I have gone and managed to Cause Problems™.

@Ellenor2000 if you would like help managing your account, please contact one of the moderation team.