Keeping a freestyle libre sensor attached

JayLeigh3679

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I'm brand new to using the libre sensor, still got the first one I've ever had attached to my arm. However, it is starting to peel a little on one side. Still very much attached at the moment!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for keeping it attached for the remaining 6 days and for how to attach it better for next time?

Thank you so much!

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make sure the area is free of hair, clean with the acohol swab, and apply after it has dried. I then use Kinseology tape over the top of it and that holds it for two weeks. With all the exercise I do, I found it difficult to keep it on without the tape for the full period.

Reactions: JayLeigh3679

JayLeigh3679

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make sure the area is free of hair, clean with the acohol swab, and apply after it has dried. I then use Kinseology tape over the top of it and that holds it for two weeks. With all the exercise I do, I found it difficult to keep it on without the tape for the full period.

I've heard about the tape and got some on order. It's more trying to keep the thing on for the next few days before it needs to be changed.

Definitely going to follow your advice for the next sensor! Thank you!

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard about the tape and got some on order. It's more trying to keep the thing on for the next few days before it needs to be changed.

Definitely going to follow your advice for the next sensor! Thank you!

Guess you could wrap something around it to try and hold it. I take it you are using the back of the arm? I used to and always knocked it on places, I've been using it on the side of my legs for quite a while now and it works as good if not better, its out of the way aswell. I know its not 'approved' per say but its worked much better for me (although I do use xdrip with miaomiao for calibration etc).

JayLeigh3679

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guess you could wrap something around it to try and hold it. I take it you are using the back of the arm? I used to and always knocked it on places, I've been using it on the side of my legs for quite a while now and it works as good if not better, its out of the way aswell. I know its not 'approved' per say but its worked much better for me (although I do use xdrip with miaomiao for calibration etc).

Yes it's on the back of my arm, it's where the nurse told me to put it last monday. I only thought it could go on the back of an arm, I don't think I'm brave enough to use a leg just yet!

I was thinking about getting some sort of bandage and trying to wrap it up if it gets looser while I wait for tape to arrive. It can scan through my winter coat so I don't think a bandage will hurt it too much.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've got micropore put a strip of that over the edge that's lifting, if not a plaster would even do the job xx

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi JayLeigh3679

I have experienced the same problems. I now use skintac. You can get this on amazon. It makes the skin sticky and the sensor remains in place.

Hope you find something that works for you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always use Tegaderm or Hypafix over my sensors. It stays on for at least a week and if it threatens to get loose I trim the edges and apply a new patch over it. If you want to be able to remove the patch, just put a piece of tissue between the sensor and the patch so the patch doesn't stick to the sensor.
I have it on a roll of 10cm x 10m.

6145Nk5pukL._SX679_.jpg

This one has been on since last friday, you don't feel it at all.

89786431_10220060432135433_3342126576589340672_o.jpg

JayLeigh3679

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep these in mind in case the tape doesn't work. ☺️

Interestingly I mentioned this to Abbott about it peeling to see if they recommend anything to make it last longer. They've suggested just immediately replacing it with a new sensor which seems slightly overkill for a tiny bit of adhesive peeling.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep these in mind in case the tape doesn't work. ☺️

Interestingly I mentioned this to Abbott about it peeling to see if they recommend anything to make it last longer. They've suggested just immediately replacing it with a new sensor which seems slightly overkill for a tiny bit of adhesive peeling.

Yes they will generally replace it for issues such as this. It is a bit of an overkill. But you have got to bare in mind that if it peels away and gives incorrect readings, people can end up in hospital with DKA or severe hypo's so they have to stay on the side of caution.

JayLeigh3679

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they will generally replace it for issues such as this. It is a bit of an overkill. But you have got to bare in mind that if it peels away and gives incorrect readings, people can end up in hospital with DKA or severe hypo's so they have to stay on the side of caution.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. Because I've only just switched I've still got my old meter and I can check any readings that don't make sense.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they will generally replace it for issues such as this.
They will. But after a couple of times they won't so I prefer not to lose them. I had a couple of failing sensors some time ago and a big hassle to have them replace the last one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @JayLeigh3679 ,

Nice to meet you. :)

I've never realy had an issue so far with one peeling before its time. I normally place mine under arm, exfoliating the area during a shower. Then heating the area after using an alcohol wipe with a hairdryer? I slightly warm up the sensor sticky pad too before application..
I've done a lot of stuff with cars (trim & wot not) using double sided "3M" tape. If it's not summer? Warming a little helps more perminent adhesion..

Anyway. I recently got one of these reusable jobs (in grey.) to help hold the Miaomiao Bluetooth transmitter in place over the Libre.

image.jpeg

The guy also does similar just to protect & hold the sensor. I've had no issue with mine moving. (Unlike the orpginal strap that came with the MM. Which had a tendancy under multi layers.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're in the UK Boots chemists usually stock Tegaderm patches @ £0.54 each and for me they're good, or I've not had a Libre come off when using one over the top of it.

Keeping a miaomiao in place is a different story however...

Reactions: JayLeigh3679

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're in the UK Boots chemists usually stock Tegaderm patches @ £0.54 each and for me they're good, or I've not had a Libre come off when using one over the top of it.

Keeping a miaomiao in place is a different story however...
I use KT tape over the miaomiao and libre. Never had one come off or move or any signal issues; and I exercise everyday and quite intense. (I also use the doubles sided tape to attach the miamiao to libre that it comes with).

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use KT tape over the miaomiao and libre. Never had one come off or move or any signal issues; and I exercise everyday and quite intense. (I also use the doubles sided tape to attach the miamiao to libre that it comes with).

Mine's ok in the gym but I carry and climb ladders at work and have a couple of tops on that seems to move the miaomiao after a few climbs, I'm not moaning though as xdrip alarms to tell me it's missed the reading and a quick wriggle and it's ok again and is much better than trying to get blood out of cold fingers :banghead:

Drewp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I'm brand new to using the libre sensor, still got the first one I've ever had attached to my arm. However, it is starting to peel a little on one side. Still very much attached at the moment!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for keeping it attached for the remaining 6 days and for how to attach it better for next time?

Thank you so much!
Use a piece of tubigrip over the sensor to hold it in place, then if necessary tape over the tubigrip, works for me

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine's ok in the gym but I carry and climb ladders at work and have a couple of tops on that seems to move the miaomiao after a few climbs, I'm not moaning though as xdrip alarms to tell me it's missed the reading and a quick wriggle and it's ok again and is much better than trying to get blood out of cold fingers :banghead:

I'd still suggest KT tape over the top. But the other thing: I use my libre on the side of my leg now and its out of the way. Accuracy is good, reliability is good, its not approved for use there by Abbot, but I've not had issues with mine.