Mention diabetes in interview/ work machinery and insurance

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering about this. Do we need to mention we have diabetes during an interview? I know that insurance companies are going to be tricky about diabetics driving machinery in work. Does anyone with type 1 here drive a forklift/tractor at work? Do employers think the diabetes must be A Very Big Issue if it's mentioned during an interview? It'd be better to mention it after we get the job??

Reactions: Diabetesdave1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Oooooh, OK? I have driven company vehicles. Vans & flatbed/pickups.
Personal experience on this, they just checked my licence was valid & relatively clean. (Most employers tend to be OK with 3points.)

Lol, I was once called in to the operation manager's office & asked if I considered training for an HGV licence? (On our big trucks.) I did have to respectfully decline reagarding the insulin dependancy & DVLA.
He seemed un-phased..

All an employer needs is reliable staff.. The opportunities should follow.

I've personally never mentioned it at an interview. But there is also the discrimination act.
It's an interview, you sell yourself as a prospective employee. The company is doing the same in return.

Edited to add; it would be wise to mention it on any induction paperwork & associated contact next of kin style details, if asked..

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanx Jaylee. I'm in Ireland, an insurance nightmare here, I did a good interview but I stupidly mentioned diabetes with regards to driving farm vehicles. Interviewer said she'd have to run it past her insurance company. And that was that, never heard back from her. I know diabetes irel has an agreement w/ zurich insurance

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanx Jaylee. I'm in Ireland, an insurance nightmare here, I did a good interview but I stupidly mentioned diabetes with regards to driving farm vehicles. Interviewer said she'd have to run it past her insurance company. And that was that, never heard back from her. I know diabetes irel has an agreement w/ zurich insurance

You maybe OK if not on public roads so much with farm machinary?
I'll be honest with you, any employers I have just take my licence details if driving is involved & tend not to query the expiry date?

Regarding the job you went for. Sometimes circumstances change with an employer or company & Eve though the job was advertised an interviews are in progression. The company changes the plan to expand. Or even replace vacant positions?

Been there myself a couple of times.

Best wishes..

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I drive hgv... my boss has recently offered me forklift training.. he knows my diabetes doesn't really hold me back

In my experience I've found it best to be honest about the diabetes... on the grounds that you can be dismissed for undisclosed illness that could affect your employment.. where as if you disclose it they can't dismiss you for that reason

Also as I've been honest and upfront about it all of the dozens of appointments I have every year I just drop a copy on the bosses desk and they arrange my schedule to make it work..

I also struggle with blood glucose crashing with the odd job I have to do ie.. my truck can have 8ton of gas bottles on that all need moving by hand the extreme activity makes my glucose crash... the boss understands so when this sort of job comes up he will send a younger non driver with me to assist

So in my case all my jobs have been good with it.. but not all are the same so you may have a different experience

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering about this. Do we need to mention we have diabetes during an interview? I know that insurance companies are going to be tricky about diabetics driving machinery in work. Does anyone with type 1 here drive a forklift/tractor at work? Do employers think the diabetes must be A Very Big Issue if it's mentioned during an interview? It'd be better to mention it after we get the job??

Hmmmmmmm. I think it depends on whether they asked the question in the original application form. If they didn't then you could presume the job itself has no restrictions. If it turns out after you get the job that it did, then well, they should have said so before. I would definitely not lie (big no no) but I wouldn't offer that extra info up necessarily either. It's all very well knowing that the Law (for most jobs but not all when a job is very specifically safety conscious) does not allow discriminatory behaviour but in reality?, well. It's a bit like saying during an interview, 'oooh yes, I can't wait to have babies'......and expecting them to say 'the job's yours'.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I drive hgv... my boss has recently offered me forklift training.. he knows my diabetes doesn't really hold me back

In my experience I've found it best to be honest about the diabetes... on the grounds that you can be dismissed for undisclosed illness that could affect your employment.. where as if you disclose it they can't dismiss you for that reason

Also as I've been honest and upfront about it all of the dozens of appointments I have every year I just drop a copy on the bosses desk and they arrange my schedule to make it work..

I also struggle with blood glucose crashing with the odd job I have to do ie.. my truck can have 8ton of gas bottles on that all need moving by hand the extreme activity makes my glucose crash... the boss understands so when this sort of job comes up he will send a younger non driver with me to assist

So in my case all my jobs have been good with it.. but not all are the same so you may have a different experience

Cheers Searley, your response gives me some confidence...

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hmmmmmmm. I think it depends on whether they asked the question in the original application form. If they didn't then you could presume the job itself has no restrictions. If it turns out after you get the job that it did, then well, they should have said so before. I would definitely not lie (big no no) but I wouldn't offer that extra info up necessarily either. It's all very well knowing that the Law (for most jobs but not all when a job is very specifically safety conscious) does not allow discriminatory behaviour but in reality?, well. It's a bit like saying during an interview, 'oooh yes, I can't wait to have babies'......and expecting them to say 'the job's yours'.

Heh, got a laugh outta that babies analogy. I suppose too, most of us don't go for a job unless we think we'll be able to do it, that our life choices won't prevent us from doing the work. A reasonable n honest enough attitude to go at work with