Benefits when we all have to isolate ourselves

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, so if by the weekend all Diabetics have to stay in for 12 weeks how do we claim benefits to help pay rents ect.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Maybe the government will follow the French example and freeze rent and mortgage payments. Unlikely :(

They’re supposed to be making universal credit easier to claim, also have a look at statutory sick pay guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It shouldn’t be announced as “have to” maybe they will recommend but it should be left to us to decide. The have-to thing is scary- it’s confusing.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It shouldn’t be announced as “have to” maybe they will recommend but it should be left to us to decide. The have-to thing is scary- it’s confusing.
It’s “strongly advised” not compulsory.

K

kas16

I reckon if they actually did say 'have to', it would make it easier to make any sort of claim. When it's left to choice you can imagine Universal Credit saying well YOU made the decision!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
if by the weekend all Diabetics have to stay in for 12 weeks how do we claim benefits to help pay rents ect.
They're trying to keep everyone alive. There hasn't been time yet to figure out how to fund or help everyone who gets serious trouble from it.
I think that's the right order to do things. Postponing action to keep people from dying because the financial consequenses haven't been solved yet doesn't make much sense.
Times are uncertain for many at the moment. I trust most of us will be saved from ending up on the streets somehow but I'm afraid financial hits will be inevitable.

Suzypooh77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables, arguments, being alone, my health
I rang my drs today and they said they wouldn’t give me a sick line unless I was actually sick and if I have no symptoms I should go to work as normal. My uni has closed from tomorrow but I work in McDonald’s who have said they will stay open until told to close although they have moved to take away and drive thru only. I can’t afford to not go in cuz I’m on a zero hour contract. Available information is conflicting and confusing.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They're trying to keep everyone alive. There hasn't been time yet to figure out how to fund or help everyone who gets serious trouble from it.
I think that's the right order to do things. Postponing action to keep people from dying because the financial consequenses haven't been solved yet doesn't make much sense.
Times are uncertain for many at the moment. I trust most of us will be saved from ending up on the streets somehow but I'm afraid financial hits will be inevitable.
The UK chancellor made some announcements about financial help this evening...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51935467
Is there something similar in The Netherlands @Antje77 ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I rang my drs today and they said they wouldn’t give me a sick line unless I was actually sick and if I have no symptoms I should go to work as normal. My uni has closed from tomorrow but I work in McDonald’s who have said they will stay open until told to close although they have moved to take away and drive thru only. I can’t afford to not go in cuz I’m on a zero hour contract. Available information is conflicting and confusing.
Same boat for me - I work a zero hours contract as a supply teacher to supplement my student loan while I’m at uni. So as we’ve been pulled from placement, I shall work whatever hours I can while I can.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The UK chancellor made some announcements about financial help this evening...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51935467
Is there something similar in The Netherlands @Antje77 ?
There's talk about helping businesses out by postponing taxes and offering loans to businesses but at the moment the biggest thing in the Netherlands is that as of sunday 6PM all bars, restaurants, schools and universities are closed.

I have lots of friends with a very small business (the owner and only one emloyee during summer months) in the tourist industry with big sailing ships. I haven't yet heard about a plan to save those businesses.
It's still early days, at the moment I think keeping people alive and making sure they have necessary medicines and food has priority.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There are a fair few businesses already suffering from this.. Possibly heading for a "hibernation" till all this (hopefully.) is over.

Then, in some sectors like production & hospitality I wager it'll be all hands to the pump & "oh, can you do overtime??"

I haven't gone back to work since my cold & no one wanting me in.
My wife's job is in decline too. Customers are ringing in their droves putting off services due to thier own closures.
After tomorrow, she will be working from home then taking unpaid leave to help keep the buisiness afloat later..

Yep, @Mr_Pot , there is talk of the CEO approaching the bank with my wife's company.