Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

GJP48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t see it like this. I’m 70, so ‘elderly’, ugh word, and vulnerable. I don’t want to be one of the unnecessary cloggers-up of available beds and ventilators if it can be avoided. And if I were planning a big gathering I wouldn’t want those who attended to take Covid19 away with them through unnecessary contacts. Why is it so bad to postpone a wedding if doing that means that your guests won’t suffer and spread what for a few is a very nasty disease? I hope you have a long life ahead of you: when, in the future, you look back on this, a few months will seem like a passing moment. We have to give the brilliant scientists time to create a vaccine.
Oh that's terrible, much worse than old people dying.
So should I be social-isolating?

I've asked my employer (an NHS Trust) if I can gain the facilities to work from home.
It's not sounding likely even though I have a desk job and don't have any patient contact.

So instead I'm sitting at my desk in smallish office with +30 people and have to get public transport in and out.

There is no real literature to explain if you are in an at risk group and you cannot work from home... Are we then supposed to continue working?

X
the NHS of all people should already be set up for working at home. It is a simple thing to set up, as most people already have broadband at home ( when my company did it 15 years ago, they had to consider the cost of installing broadband for everyone at home...but this wouldn’t apply these days) So all you need is your broadband, your laptop, and your IT dept setting up a safe virtual private network, to protect the security of your platforms, when accessed externally. For NHS it would benefit them, as that’s less people to worry about catching it in a hospital environment, plus less risk of catching it while travelling to/from work.
Most companies now-big and small- are all set up for home working..a core reason being they need smaller premises if they set up for home working, which can save them large amounts of capital. You should campaign for this to be set up- I can’t believe a company as large as NHS is draconian to be missing out on such savings.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pavlosn, The government does not give a **** about it's people. Advising has gone upto strongly against. The social distancing is no more than social isolation where elderly and vulnerable eventually get forgotten. I have to postpone my wedding for this ****

Edited by mod for use of offensive language
And very many have already had their lives cancelled.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm 62, type 1 and have asthma. My GP. told me I am in the at risk catagory. The nature of my job means I cannot work from home. I work for a local authority and have been told if I self isolate I will only be entitled to SSP but if the Government come out and say that I MUST self isolate, then I will get full sick pay. Guess what I am not going to do.

Wait? That's what I have been doing, if I did self isolate, then I wouldn't get paid.
Looks like the choice may be taken out of our hands soon, take care and be safe.

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They’re closing schools on Friday for the Easter holidays here in Wales now - I’ll do supply teaching tomorrow and Friday as we’ve been pulled from our paramedic placement by the university. After that no work (unless I drive to Hereford, assuming English schools are open), and study leave until we supposedly go back to uni at the end of April. And as all the three gigs I had tickets for over the next month have been postponed, and that’s my main social life, I guess I’ll be “social distancing” by default :D

Last edited:

Evie-D

I was sent home today from the school I work at as local authority following government list which ‘diabetes’ is clearly marked as vulnerable group. I was told it wasn’t about me as such, but ensuring that the risk to vulnerable people was reduced to hopefully reduce and delay the amount of hospital beds that will be required. I understand that, but as I’m healthy with well managed BG levels, I feel I’m not as high risk as some. That said, I do not know how this virus will affect me so I understand why I’ve been told to stay at home for 12 weeks. I don’t like it. Already there are consequences that I didn’t see coming. However, I do see that it’s not about me, but how serious the illness might affect me or if not me, how it may affect someone else if I have unwittingly passed it on to others. Be safe.

Reactions: dmckatana

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP managed to prescribe 1 out of 4 requested items to encourage me social distancing, I'll have to go back tomorrow for both types of insulin and my libre, but I have got my needles bless :banghead::banghead:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, had a phone call this morning from the drummer in one of the bands I'm in..
Initially ringing me up regarding my "at risk level." Bless him.. I told him not to worry.
Music wise getting out gigging its stuffed us up, but I see the logic. But then this is changing everybodies plans..

Anyhow, regarding social distancing & self isolation. He has his own cleaning company. He's advising his older customers that he understands regarding current events. & will check in when this thing blows over.
In his experience the older generation ar saying no, come round, sort the place out.
Where as his clients in the 40/50s are more "get orf my land." "Don't even look at me."

@kev-w , they had virtually nothing in ASDA tonight on our weekly shop. But I did manage to get a couple of Libres & a great deal on some fish.. Oh & a couple of steaks.. Quite frankly, this is getting silly. But I don't blame the logistics. They will need to adapt. This was basically our weekly shop....

MarkHaZ123

Iv read up about it been 12 weeks recommended but Iv literally no chance of doing that. I just couldn't afford to. I'm type 1 and am a little worried at times but then not.

I work for myself as a bathroom fitter. At the moment it's just about asking the customer if they are OK for me to work and making sure things in there homes are OK.
Thankfully Iv got no jobs where kids or elderly are in the next few weeks.

If the government gave a grant of 2 months work I'd be ok to stay off but they wont

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv read up about it been 12 weeks recommended but Iv literally no chance of doing that. I just couldn't afford to. I'm type 1 and am a little worried at times but then not.

I work for myself as a bathroom fitter. At the moment it's just about asking the customer if they are OK for me to work and making sure things in there homes are OK.
Thankfully Iv got no jobs where kids or elderly are in the next few weeks.

If the government gave a grant of 2 months work I'd be ok to stay off but they wont

Hi,

I feel if you can still work/have jobs where your client is happy for you to complete whilst still socially distancing? (Don't expect a cup of tea.) & there is no issue with any of your suppliers?
Then honour those obligations.

To be fair, anyone with kids or elderly residents residing probably wouldn't want the upheaval of a bathroom or kitchen ripped out. ;) (All be it temporarily.)

It's new territory.
Take good care of yourself out there..

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Went into work today and my name wasn't on the deployment list so I went to see the management as they sent home three pregnant girls and a guy in his 70's yesterday and was told the final decision was down to me but that if and when I did decide to go I would be on full pay for the 12 weeks. Given that I work for one of the supermarkets in a warehouse I've decided to see the week out and take my first day of the 84 as Saturday. I'll have to phone in on a daily basis just to make sure I'm still alive and give any updates about my general health should it go **** up for me.
I probably took an hour out of the working day just getting things clear but still have other issues to clarify like my return date, holiday I had booked off work at the end of March is being carried over to next year so now means I have 37 days to take in 9 months. I will be venturing out on my bike some days as being cooped up for that time period will drive me crazy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This will be an unpopular position, but I kind of lean in the other direction. When it comes right down to it, we are all responsible for ourselves. Government is there to serve, sure, but not to learn for us. There is only so much that can be done when very little is actually known. I think personal responsibility and weighing up the balance of evidence is a more sensible approach than expecting someone else to give us clarity in a situation where there is simply is none.

BoJo & Co don't have a crystal ball. Sure, they have direct access to the experts, but how often are experts in any field proven wrong? We of all people know only too well that it can be foolish to blindly follow established advice. Not that I'm saying anyone is actually wrong about anything, just that I think it's unrealistic and not even sensible to expect government to hold our hands through every twist and turn in life, particularly when no one can even know what really lies ahead or how the story will unfold.

Not challenging your view. More just sharing a different perspective. I guess I take a more nomadic and pragmatic approach to life than some, so I will not be at all surprised if the majority disagree.

I wouldn't disagree at all.. Bojo is symbolic of the "B" word.. That's his focus giving what the 51.9?percentage wanted. "Get it done."

Not what I wanted "done."

But here we are.. Something new. So I'm going to be fair & balanced with this career politician with no real agenda other than wanting the keys to no 10 since his uni years.

He's as much stumped as the rest of us. But then he seems adpept at self isolating.

This isn't a "war." We don't have to pick up a gun.
But we do as indeviduals need to take tactical decisions to defend the vulnerable.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some sensible stuff being said here. We are in unknown territory. We have to look after ourselves, yes! But it is also about how things affect others and we shouldn’t just obsess about ourselves. The changes happening each day are rapid. Who knows what will happen today.

MarkHaZ123

Hi,

I feel if you can still work/have jobs where your client is happy for you to complete whilst still socially distancing? (Don't expect a cup of tea.) & there is no issue with any of your suppliers?
Then honour those obligations.

To be fair, anyone with kids or elderly residents residing probably wouldn't want the upheaval of a bathroom or kitchen ripped out. ;) (All be it temporarily.)

It's new territory.
Take good care of yourself out there..
You'd be surprised how much work I do for elderly people. They generally want baths ripped out and showers put in.. Kids would have been at school so bookings would have been made but thankfully Iv not got jobs for either till May

I agree on the fact its not social so that's why I'd work. Il just hide away in the bathroom with the door shut

Ladybird579

BBC news this morning had a government adviser on and said all people offered the flu jab which includes diabetics are to self isolate for 12 weeks but at the moment does not include children.

He's 21 so not a child. He has had to self isolate tho as I have the virus now. Considering my health issues I am not too bad.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
What is happening in the UK is a scandal. How can there be such little clarity on something that for some people is a life or death situation.
The government needs to give clear instructions particularly to those at most risk.

It's fair to say that if this was a Labour government conducting the current shambles, the Tory press would be all over it.

I can only imagine some of the headlines with calls for the chaotic PM to resign.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I emailed my Gp asking about being in the vulnerable group, diabetes, regarding COVID-19, so do I need to distance my self, I need clarification.
I have two jobs, one has now stopped, with further updates. My other job involves working with Special Needs Children, most with HCP (Health Care Package) and I was told today that these schools will be staying open, unless told not to.
I emailed the County Council 2 days ago and I still haven't received a reply. Tomorrow, I will phoning them.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Does anyone have Bojo The Clown's email?

Attachments

• SocialDISTANCE.jpg
    SocialDISTANCE.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 439

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I have other conditions as well as t2, my GP told me last week I’d cracked ribs in a bad fall 3 weeks ago and I was to ring immediately if my breathing got any worse and even if it didn’t I’d have to be in the 12 week isolation. Today the NHS said that they would be contacting all those under 70 that were considered vulnerable starting next Monday. Outpatients have already contacted me to cancel 2 appointments I had next week.
Luckily on Tuesday Openreach told my beloved to work from home for the foreseeable future to keep me safe.
My biggest problem is that we should be finally moving early April, will we be allowed too? We’ve only been waiting since last March. Sadly it will be without my darling fur baby we lost him suddenly within 3 hours to sepsis on the 27th of February.
Stay safe everyone.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been made redundant- my boss called me & said he’s following the government advice
I am fit & well type 1 diabetic
Bit gutted