1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Liftupjoe, Mar 17, 2020.

1. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Angebabes, just one more thing, yes, EVERYBODY is supposed to work from home with the caveat 'IF possible' and I understand that there would have to be a list of people waiting for the necessary equipment meaning it may not be immediately possible BUT you fall into a higher category than 'anyone' as designated by the govt so you should at least be at the top of the list. x

2. ANGEBABES

ANGEBABES Type 1 · Member

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ANGEBABES

Not to frighten anyone but is this not what I have been saying all along re diabetes and coronavirus, think we need to be treated as further up the ‘At Risk’ category than Public Health are advising the Government and NHS Management on. Please watch the short video I have just recorded from BBC News 17/04/2020.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ANGEBABES

5. ANGEBABES

Sorry folks thought I had uploaded the video but it won’t let me, just uploads a still photo. She said quote “out of the deaths recorded today across the UK only 30 cases were people who didn’t have underlying health conditions like diabetes and heart disease which are such a definite risk factor to how well you do when you contract the virus.”

6. ANGEBABES

Daphne don’t worry 99.8% of us knew what you meant and so did the 0.2% who said they were confused, they were just being pedantic and showing off. xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. purple1505

purple1505 · Member

I'm type1 have had 3 heart attacks the last being may 2019 and have asthma so you can imagine how scared I was when I saw all 3 of my illnesses listed when it first went on .gov website. Then they said those who were most vulnerable would get a letter in March. I never got one but was still panicking. I got a text from GPS nurse stating to continue with my brown inhaler but to carry the reliever inhaler every where I go, no mention on diabetes or heart. Finally a letter came telling me that I have to sheild for 12 weeks because I'm at risk of severe illness if I catch corona virus and that I'm at a higher risk and more likely to be hospitalised. I can only say it's due to having asthma that I got the letter. If you're in doubt ask your GP surgery as letters are late going out.

8. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The original lists produced way back at the beginning did actually include diabetes. It seems to have been progressively downgraded as the weeks have gone on.

I don't think that's a measure of our risk being less, merely a ploy to stop the country grinding to a halt, since so many have this condition. It's also a cost cutting measure.

They need us at work, so they're prepared to take a risk with our lives.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Pretty certain that’s when there were just two categories (normal and what’s now called vulnerable, previously called at risk) before they defined the extremely vulnerable top risk group that got letters. Frequent name changes have made it even more confusing.

I agree diabetes isn’t in the highest group because of the sheer numbers involved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mooshk

mooshk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Received NHS letter on Thursday, type 1 diabetic for 25 years and diabulimia. No other underlying conditions. This was after a conversation with the GP 3 weeks ago saying I wasn't at risk and fine to go out. There is literally no consistency ha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mark in Spain

Mark in Spain · Member

12. Mark in Spain

Mark in Spain · Member

It dosent matter who you are or where you are, all we hear is different and ear say. I am in Spain living and I really havent got a clue whats going to happen as I am meant to be back at work at the start of next month. truth is no way do I want to get back out there mixing with others. We all know we are at risk, the stats in Belgium prove we are the worst group to get it with the highest death rate, all very very confusing

• Hug Hug x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook