Covid 19

Jonboy73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, just asking to our community, is anyone now self isolating? Looks like the government are sending letters to the most vulnerable to suggest a 12 week isolation period? Thoughts?? X

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I am, I’m 70, with a pension, so I can do this more easily than those who have rent, mortgages, need an income and are not sure how they stand regarding the guidelines.
I have a feeling we’ll look back, when this is all over, and wish we’d all self isolated sooner.
I also wonder whether there’ll be more directives that move us closer to lockdown before the letters arrive. I hope so!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey guys, just asking to our community, is anyone now self isolating? Looks like the government are sending letters to the most vulnerable to suggest a 12 week isolation period? Thoughts?? X

We are not really considered to be the most vulnerable unless you have another condition like kindney disease or perhaps hypertension.

For the time being "stringent social distancing" is the wording being bandied about, so stay 1 to 2 metres away from everyone else until better information is available.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Current advice from the government is linked to in my signature. Type 1 (without complications or other conditions) are not in the group being written to.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I am as far as is possible but then as well as being 70 and having diabetes I have other conditions and also take prednisolone.

Edit to add I may well be on that list but get a sneaky feeling they may have forgotten about me.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
"Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mom and I are practicing "stringent social distancing" - we go out once a week and the only place she goes into is the salon to get her hair washed. I go into all the stores and run all the errands that need to be done. We're both T2 and she is also in the age category (she's 80). I have a feeling that many routine Dr appointments will be cancelled or rescheduled.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a direct copy and paste from the current (22/3/2020) gov.uk website
(The pages are updated regularly. The last update was 10pm last night. You can register for email notifications for when the updates happen)

People with diabetes are clearly included in the ‘increased risk’ group, NOT the ‘extreme risk’ group.
Therefore they should be practicing ‘stringent social distancing’ .
Letter coming out next week will identify those at extreme risk, and will explain the further measures they need to put in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
Background and scope of guidance
This guidance is for everyone, including children. It advises on social distancing measures we should all be taking to reduce social interaction between people in order to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). It is intended for use in situations where people are living in their own homes, with or without additional support from friends, family and carers. If you live in a residential care setting guidance is available.

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:

Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice about the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are to:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, noting that pubs, restaurants, leisure centres and similar venues are currently shut as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is practicable.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant
This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The whole diabetes thing is very confusing and keeps changing . I spoke to my gp who is one of the top gps in my surgery so youd think he may know. Well he just told me he didnt and to check the nhs website. Then he told me we are probably going on a lockdown anyway ‍♀️
I personally from latest literature I've seen I don't think we will be told to we just need to be careful and social distance

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Latest from Boris.

PM Boris Johnson warned the government would take "further measures" to enforce social distancing advice if it is not respected
He said he would think "very actively" about this over the next 24 hours.

Still dithering

Reactions: GedMason

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Latest from Boris.

PM Boris Johnson warned the government would take "further measures" to enforce social distancing advice if it is not respected
He said he would think "very actively" about this over the next 24 hours.

Still dithering
Yep similar things are starting to happen in aus. Wa sa nt queensland and tasie have blocked boarders.....

Schools in vic are closed as of today and NZ in full lockdown as of Wednesday.

And i have to go to melbourne on wed to get missus to endo... not looking forward to it. 350km each way even i know its a hot spot....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My Aunt lives in Auckland NZ she is 80 years old and has other health problems I wonder how she is coping with all this.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well on the BHF they say people with Heart Disease and Diabetics are high risk. I think that I will listen to them. I am Isolating. I appreciate not everybody can, but I am not taking a chance

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why not ask her?
Now that is an idea though have been out of touch with her for a while the last time I called her on the phone it cost me a small fortune. And the number I had for her may be out of date will have to find out.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that is an idea though have been out of touch with her for a while the last time I called her on the phone it cost me a small fortune. And the number I had for her may be out of date will have to find out.
Lots of internet based apps these days that are much cheaper. Always used to be Skype but others available too

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use email or WhatsApp to communicate with my sister in NZ because of the time difference. If she doesn't use those maybe your aunt is OK with text messages.

Reactions: JohnEGreen