Type 2 and the Coronavirus

Dominski65

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused. I am due to go back to work tmz but the NHS have said they are going to send out letters and text people who are at high risk! I have not very well controlled type 2 with insulin and i am really worried.. What should i do?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you please clarify, your profile says 1.5.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T1.5 is a very different condition from T2.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a direct copy and paste from the current (22/3/2020) gov.uk website
(The pages are updated regularly. The last update was 10pm last night. You can register for email notifications for when the updates happen)

People with diabetes are clearly included in the ‘increased risk’ group, NOT the ‘extreme risk’ group.
Therefore they should be practicing ‘stringent social distancing’ .
Letter coming out next week will identify those at extreme risk, and will explain the further measures they need to put in place.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
Background and scope of guidance
This guidance is for everyone, including children. It advises on social distancing measures we should all be taking to reduce social interaction between people in order to reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19). It is intended for use in situations where people are living in their own homes, with or without additional support from friends, family and carers. If you live in a residential care setting guidance is available.

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:

Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice about the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
What is social distancing?
Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are to:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
  3. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information
  4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces, noting that pubs, restaurants, leisure centres and similar venues are currently shut as infections spread easily in closed spaces where people gather together.
  5. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
  6. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone should be trying to follow these measures as much as is practicable.

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant
This advice is likely to be in place for some weeks.

Reactions: Danmiluk

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am confused. I am due to go back to work tmz but the NHS have said they are going to send out letters and text people who are at high risk! I have not very well controlled type 2 with insulin and i am really worried.. What should i do?
I haven't heard they are sending letters to T2's but they certainly are with T1 and maybe insulin dependant T2's but my T1 son had a letter from his GP's to say he must isolate for 12 weeks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have any serious underlying conditions, I would advise caution. You have been given the official advice further up the post.

T1 is an autoimmune condition. Some people develop T1 in later life, these are T1.5.

T2 is a metabolic disorder. If not controlled, it will progress and eventually you may need insulin.

T2s can't deal with carbohydrates. Most of us eat low carb high fat or keto diets. This can get our numbers back to non diabetic numbers. It is an easy way to lose weight.

If you were told to eat brown bread, brown pasta and eat lots of fruit, this is incorrect.

Reactions: Dominski65

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 is an autoimmune condition. Some people develop T1 in later life, these are T1.5.

T2 is a metabolic disorder. If not controlled, it will progress and eventually you may need insulin.

T2s can't deal with carbohydrates. Most of us eat low carb high fat or keto diets. This can get our numbers back to non diabetic numbers. It is an easy way to lose weight.
And in some it isn't completely certain what type they have, even after more tests. And then there are all those T1's who simply don't know they're T1 because their GP hasn't recognised the signals.

Xfieldok is completely correct in that being on insulin doesn't mean you aren't T2. Many T2's use insulin.

Reactions: Dominski65

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't heard they are sending letters to T2's but they certainly are with T1 and maybe insulin dependant T2's but my T1 son had a letter from his GP's to say he must isolate for 12 weeks

That's certainly not what the govt advice is though (listening to it right now on TV).Those with diabetes fall into the vulnerable but not highly vulnerable group and therefore are advised to practice social distancing same as everyone else but 'strongly advised'....but only 'if possible'. I can guarantee my own work will NOT allow me to self isolate under that interpretation which is a get out clause. I know that my employers will jump on that 'if possible' phrase. I'm not looking to sit at home for 3 months whilst still getting paid but neither do I look forward to rolling about the floor with who knows who (unavoidable when on the frontline). x

Last edited:

Dominski65

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That's certainly not what the govt advice is though (listening to it right now on TV).Those with diabetes fall into the vulnerable but not highly vulnerable group and therefore are advised to practice social distancing same as everyone else but 'strongly advised'....but only 'if possible'. I can guarantee my own work will NOT allow me to self isolate under that interpretation which is a get out clause. I know that my employers will jump on that 'if possible' phrase. I'm not looking to sit at home for 3 months whilst still getting paid but neither do I look forward to rolling about the floor with who knows who (unavoidable when on the frontline). x

I have contacted my Boss and said that I am at risk because of my diabetes and he said he fully understands and asked me to take care and to look after myself .

Reactions: Antje77

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have contacted my Boss and said that I am at risk because of my diabetes and he said he fully understands and asked me to take care and to look after myself .

That is a great example of a good Boss, mine would be more likely to say 'Yes, but don't forget you're nights next week'. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dominski65 you should stick around, we are not a bad bunch. Loads of help and support, especially if you want to stabilise your blood sugar.

Dominski65

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a great example of a good Boss, mine would be more likely to say 'Yes, but don't forget you're nights next week'. x
He is a lovely chap... family run business... I had no worries about messaging him, I'm lucky I know x

Reactions: Antje77

Dominski65

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dominski65 you should stick around, we are not a bad bunch. Loads of help and support, especially if you want to stabilise your blood sugar.
I will, I do need help.. I am my own worst enemy I'm afraid. High blood sugars for a very long time. Im so bad when it comes to sweet stuff. I know it is not good for me but still eat it! I'm 14 st and 6'2" with the correct BMI but got my diabetes through obesity. I was 20 stone!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will, I do need help.. I am my own worst enemy I'm afraid. High blood sugars for a very long time. Im so bad when it comes to sweet stuff. I know it is not good for me but still eat it! I'm 14 st and 6'2" with the correct BMI but got my diabetes through obesity. I was 20 stone!

congrats on the weight loss! That’s a triumph

your profile says you are type 1.5
- that's an autoimmune condition, just like type 1, just a slower onset version, usually occuring in adults.
So no way is T1.5 caused by being overweight.

(T2 is a metabolic condition where insulin resistance may cause weight gain as a consequence)

Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you test using a blood glucose meter, what do you eat in a typical day?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, they’re not telling all T1s to self isolate, although we are supposed to practice “stringent social distancing”. Where did you hear that? It’s certainly not national UK guidelines. Did the GP letter actually use the word “isolate”? Just curious :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dominski65 have a read around the forum, particularly the low carb forum and the success stories..

Whilst you are off work, you have the time to do a bit of research. You can't do anything without a glucose meter, testing is not forever. If you change your diet, your sweet tooth will subside. In the meantime, google keto fat bombs. Learning the lingo is half the problem.