T2 or maybe 1.5 LADA newly prescribed Humulin M3 insulin

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed T2 last July as bg 10.4. October went down to 7 and at this stage on Metformin then Sukarto slow release. March results 14! So this is where I’m at, CareSens meter, humulin m3 insulin all provided by the wonderful Nhs and am grateful this was picked up.
However my question my bs results yesterday were 18 at the surgery then 20 mmol before dinner yesterday and today before breakfast 20.5 then before dinner it’s 12.4!!
I’m on 2 doses insulin at number 8 on the dial. Does insulin usually work this quick?? Loving this forum and guidance welcome x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Diagnosed T2 last July as bg 10.4. October went down to 7 and at this stage on Metformin then Sukarto slow release. March results 14! So this is where I’m at, CareSens meter, humulin m3 insulin all provided by the wonderful Nhs and am grateful this was picked up.
However my question my bs results yesterday were 18 at the surgery then 20 mmol before dinner yesterday and today before breakfast 20.5 then before dinner it’s 12.4!!
I’m on 2 doses insulin at number 8 on the dial. Does insulin usually work this quick?? Loving this forum and guidance welcome x

Yes, I think that most can see the affects of injected insulin within about 20 to 30 minutes of injecting. And it's possible for glucose levels to drop like a stone when things go wrong.

I know it's still early days for you but it's generally not good to be yoyo-ing between 10 and 20. Humilin M3 is a mixed insulin which usually requires some awkward decisions to be made about eating patterns (I used Humalog Mix25 for a few years). What have you been told so far about diet?

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I think that most can see the affects of injected insulin within about 20 to 30 minutes of injecting. And it's possible for glucose levels to drop like a stone when things go wrong.

I know it's still early days for you but it's generally not good to be yoyo-ing between 10 and 20. Humilin M3 is a mixed insulin which usually requires some awkward decisions to be made about eating patterns (I used Humalog Mix25 for a few years). What have you been told so far about diet?

Hi just advised same diet, low carbs with occasional treat. This morning bs was 17 before breakfast. Nurse calling tomorrow, I think the 12.4 was a fluke or could be a medication doc put me on for something else which is known to mess up blood sugar reads... I did tell the nurses this but hey ho they just said we will go with your reads and adjust accordingly.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are they doing to clarify your type? Any tests? Or wait and see along with assumptions?

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waiting for two test results, GAD? And something else, hope to know tomorrow. My meter displayed the word KETONES then went off, I’m so scared and just think if I have ketones, whatever they are it’s very bad..l I think I’m stressing each time I use that meter!