Fears of highs and germs

Sammee

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you find that highs get you more nervous than lows? I was diagnosed in November 2018 in a very dramatic way, taken to hospital after collapsing with DKA and sent to ICU. Very scary! The problem is, when the nurses spoke to me about T1, they mentioned on numerous occasions how infections affect your blood sugar. This had a big effect on me and my behaviour. I went from someone who had no problems with germs to being terrified of catching a cold. I ran my sugars tightly, lower results being ideal and if it went up a bit I became worried. I dealt calmly with hypos, yet if I had a hyper fears of illness and DKA and the feeling that my life hung in the balance would freak me out. I received counselling and therapy which helped me to cope better and I relaxed, feeling able to actually live with diabetes.

Now with this Covid 19, my anxiety has rocketed. If my bloods are higher, I am scared. Even mild highs have me worried and on edge. I was doing so much better with dealing with germs and highs but all the news has upset me again. Does anybody recognise this or is it me? I have books about Type 1 Diabetes and they talk about fears of hypos, but don't mention hypers. I understand hypos are more of an emergency, but that doesn't seem to scare me in the same way! Is this unusual?

npatel19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you find that highs get you more nervous than lows? I was diagnosed in November 2018 in a very dramatic way, taken to hospital after collapsing with DKA and sent to ICU. Very scary! The problem is, when the nurses spoke to me about T1, they mentioned on numerous occasions how infections affect your blood sugar. This had a big effect on me and my behaviour. I went from someone who had no problems with germs to being terrified of catching a cold. I ran my sugars tightly, lower results being ideal and if it went up a bit I became worried. I dealt calmly with hypos, yet if I had a hyper fears of illness and DKA and the feeling that my life hung in the balance would freak me out. I received counselling and therapy which helped me to cope better and I relaxed, feeling able to actually live with diabetes.

Now with this Covid 19, my anxiety has rocketed. If my bloods are higher, I am scared. Even mild highs have me worried and on edge. I was doing so much better with dealing with germs and highs but all the news has upset me again. Does anybody recognise this or is it me? I have books about Type 1 Diabetes and they talk about fears of hypos, but don't mention hypers. I understand hypos are more of an emergency, but that doesn't seem to scare me in the same way! Is this unusual?
Hello, I totally understand what you mean, my fears have heightened during this pandemic and every little thing is making me question my blood glucose levels. I think that as long as you have good control which it definitely sounds like you have and you recognise when you have to implement your sick day rules I think you will be fine. I’m trying really hard not to let the news consume me but it is very difficult so I understand completely.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

Hi @Sammee ,

It's important to understand with these issues that stress and anxiety raise your cortisol levels and in turn that triggers a release of glucose from your liver, thus raising BG levels. If you then get more stressed about high BG then you end up with a circular problem.

I understand that you have some concerns about Covid and it's only natural given the circumstances, but give yourself time to relax, go for a walk (if you can) or maybe try to find an activity that takes your mind off the situation.

Be lucky.