Type 2 and shielding letter

Amycav85

Hi all,

I received a letter from my gp practice yesterday telling me to stay at home for 12 weeks, I spoke to my gp and she said it's because of my high hba1c levels (recently diagnosed) has anyone else has a letter or heard of this? I can't find anything online to support it.

Many thanks

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I received a letter from my gp practice yesterday telling me to stay at home for 12 weeks, I spoke to my gp and she said it's because of my high hba1c levels (recently diagnosed) has anyone else has a letter or heard of this? I can't find anything online to support it.

Many thanks
Hello @Amycav85.
I have one of those letters too, but I know it is due to other health conditions, not my well controlled T2.
So, if you have other additional conditions it could be the reason . If you can tell us more info on what type of diabetes you have, other and medication you take, we may be able to have better understanding and give appropriate answers to your query.
Also, the letter will have info on the government websites.

This explains some of the reasons for the letter.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...asy_read_guidance_on_shielding_March_2020.pdf

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Many thanks

What was your HbA1c level?

Edit to add I have received 2 texts from my surgery telling me I am at greater risk

I have no idea what they are on about.. last HbA1c was 27 mmol/m a lot lower than the average population I imagine..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Many thanks

Hi Amy, as previously stated the information regarding those letters is on the govt website for those that come under the 'very vulnerable category' which in and of itself did not include diabetes. However, one of the Mods (I think it was @Brunneria) very kindly posted a guideline for UK Drs which stated that a person with a 'high hb1ac' may well be classified as very vulnerable, could this be why you got the letter? There are no doubt many other individuals with issues that render them very vulnerable, hope this helps. Either way you HAVE the elusive letter so that should be all you need. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Edit to add I have received 2 texts from my surgery telling me I am at greater risk

I have no idea what they are on about.. last HbA1c was 27 mmol/m a lot lower than the average population I imagine..

It's all a bit chaotic between surgeries by the sound of it, I haven't received a letter, text or anything else from my Docs so no news is good news. I wonder (and this is pure speculation) whether a lower than 'normal' hb1ac also throws up an alert?, we all know that no matter how healthy that might be the powers that be STILL insist there is such a thing as 'too low'.

Amycav85

Mine was 85 pre metformin and I haven't had it checked since due to the current situation.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all a bit chaotic between surgeries by the sound of it, I haven't received a letter, text or anything else from my Docs so no news is good news. I wonder (and this is pure speculation) whether a lower than 'normal' hb1ac also throws up an alert?, we all know that no matter how healthy that might be the powers that be STILL insist there is such a thing as 'too low'.

Well they marked me as "In remission" about a year ago when HbA1c was the same so...

I was going to phone and ask but thought they might be a bit busy at the moment!

I do wonder though if I were an older person who was a bit afraid of the current situation how receiving that text would have made me feel.

Amycav85

Hi Amy, as previously stated the information regarding those letters is on the govt website for those that come under the 'very vulnerable category' which in and of itself did not include diabetes. However, one of the Mods (I think it was @Brunneria) very kindly posted a guideline for UK Drs which stated that a person with a 'high hb1ac' may well be classified as very vulnerable, could this be why you got the letter? There are no doubt many other individuals with issues that render them very vulnerable, hope this helps. Either way you HAVE the elusive letter so that should be all you need. x
My levels were 85 pre metformin and I have had them checked since due to the current situation x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 85 pre metformin and I haven't had it checked since due to the current situation.

Fairly high then (mine was 87 mmol/m when diagnosed).
Have you though about changing what you eat to reduce it dramatically?
Might make you a bit less at risk as well.

Amycav85

My levels pre metformin were 85 and I haven't had them checked since due to the current situation. It would make things alot easier if all surgeries were following the same guidance ( I work in a surgery and we haven't sent these letters out)

Reactions: gillytee31

Amycav85

Fairly high then (mine was 87 mmol/m when diagnosed).
Have you though about changing what you eat to reduce it dramatically?
Might make you a bit less at risk as well.
Since being diagnosed I have lost 1.5 stone but as I haven't seen the nurse since being diagnosed I have no idea what my bloods are like now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since being diagnosed I have lost 1.5 stone but as I haven't seen the nurse since being diagnosed I have no idea what my bloods are like now.
Might be a great idea to get your own meter to monitor?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well they marked me as "In remission" about a year ago when HbA1c was the same so...

I was going to phone and ask but thought they might be a bit busy at the moment!

I do wonder though if I were an older person who was a bit afraid of the current situation how receiving that text would have made me feel.

Could they be sending a generic text out to all those diabetics on the books?

Helzy

Hello everyone!!

I'm a newbie from Scotland, searching for information as my locality is not keeping us very well informed.
Type 1 diabetic for 38 years with Kidney reflux (since birth). I work in residential care and at the moment am social distancing/working from home. I am so confused about this letter business, and how some diabetics are getting information and others are getting nothing (like me). I can't even get through to my clinic for advice.
Views please...should I be distancing for the full 12 weeks? or am I ok to be back at work with my teens? I am so lost.

thanks in advance

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the texts last week. Letter yesterday.
Letter is confusing in that it states I am ‘at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. This is based information that is held on your GP records’. It goes on to tell me to stay at home , avoid all contact with others, except carers for 12 weeks from day letter is received. If I have nobody to collect food and medications or provide other care I should register as extremely vulnerable. It does not specify just what the information is that placed me in the shielding group, so I am just guessing that it is the medication I have to suppress my immune system, as I have frequent allergic reactions, which cause breathing problems. The only way I could find out would be to ask GP, but as they will have other priorities right now, I am just going to take notice, and have already been isolated for last 2 weeks.

Reactions: KK123

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I will look into getting one. I was diagnosed in December and havent seen anyone since for any help or advice. I've just tried my best to lose weight eat healthy and exercise more.

This is info about meters that has been put together by @Rachox.

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Rachox

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone!!

I'm a newbie from Scotland, searching for information as my locality is not keeping us very well informed.
Type 1 diabetic for 38 years with Kidney reflux (since birth). I work in residential care and at the moment am social distancing/working from home. I am so confused about this letter business, and how some diabetics are getting information and others are getting nothing (like me). I can't even get through to my clinic for advice.
Views please...should I be distancing for the full 12 weeks? or am I ok to be back at work with my teens? I am so lost.

thanks in advance
Hello, and welcome, @Helzy.
Sorry your post seems to have got a bit lost in this thread. I think there is a bit of confusion regarding diabetes and diabetes with other additionalconditions.
Has your employer discussed the distancing / need to isolate with you? We can’t really advise on the medical aspects, but I wonder if this is of use:-
https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...virus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-shielding

I don’t know the time scale for the letters to be sent in Scotland. Here in northern England, they were supposed to be by 30th March. Received mine on 2nd April.

Baz-

Hi everyone

Reading other comments within the forum, really starting to wonder, should I have actually received the letter? Can't help but feel guilty not being at work and helping my fellow colleagues out

Letter received from GP Friday 27/03
Must stay at home for at least 12 weeks
Age - 59
Condition - Type 2 - Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) 9.8 % (last tested - December 2019)
Working hard on getting that figure down ever since + Yaltormin SR 500mg (One twice a day)
Otherwise fit and healthy

Ordered a Tee2 monitor today (many thanks for the link @Pipp @Rachox)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipp

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is plenty of articles - just google:
In the Age of COVID-19, Metabolic Health is More Important than Ever Dr. Mariela Glandt
Why High Blood Sugars Compromise Our Immune System at diaverge.com
The Effect of Short-Term Hyperglycemia on the Innate Immune System. by Jafar, Edriss, Nugent.#
Infection and diabetes: the case for glucose control. by Rayfield EJ, Ault MJ, Keusch GT, Brothers MJ, Nechemias C, Smith H.
High fat, low carbohydrate, enteral feeding lowers PaCO2 and reduces the period of ventilation in artificially ventilated patients.