Symptoms but Normal Blood Sugars

tsxcvii

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just want some general advice or for someone to share a similar experience. Also, sorry for the long post, I'm scared to eat anything at this point so any advice is appreciated.

So in the last week of February, I stared getting these weird headaches with brain fog, which I realised were after eating. I instantly though of diabetes as I'm obese and eat a lot of carbs/sugar (22 Male). On the Thursday, I was having the urge to pee every couple mins, but it was only small amounts. I had also been losing weight without trying for about a month (5kg/11lbs).

I got an appointment with my GP the day after (Friday), who did a urine dipstick and found no glucose, but a little bit of ketones (I hadn't eaten for about 14 hours because I was worried). I was told to book a blood test for my HbA1c, and to eat a normal diet until then (plus some general weight loss advice). So I booked it for the Monday after next.

Right after the appointment I began eating like 'normal' i.e. toast, chocolate and other junk food, without getting any headaches. Also, the need to pee only lasted that Thursday, and it was now gone. I went on eating like this for a week with no issue. But on the Sunday I got a headache again, and then again on the following day (Monday), but I did not change my diet. I also missed my blood test, as I thought it was on the following Monday.

During that week, on around Thursday/Friday (2 weeks since my appointment), I was having blurred vision, mainly struggling to focus on words on my screen, but other things as well. I waited til Monday but realised I had missed my blood test, so I called to reschedule but my GP was doing no more blood tests or appointments due to COVID-19. I started a keto diet that day and bought a blood glucose meter, which arrived on Thursday morning. I tested myself right away and got a reading of 4.0mmol/L (72 mg/dl) which seemed normal considering i had been eating very little carbs, but I wanted to make sure it was not low just because of the keto diet.

I started eating a lot of high calorie, high carb foods to see how it affected my blood sugar. On the first day the highest my BGL reached was 5.8 mmol/L (104 mg/dl) 2 hours after a meal, and on the second day it reached 6.4 mmol/L (115 mg/dl) after a large meal. I also started getting tingling in my feet. The next day i began feeling sharp sparks in my feet, and eventually my hands as well. I immediately went back to keto but the feeling did not go away. Obviously I was scared as it had only been 4 weeks since my inital symptoms and I was having what I assumed was neuropathy.

On Monday I called my GP surgery, and got a phone consultation with a Dr who I had not seen before. I explained what had been going on and she was very dismissive, and told me to not check my blood sugar as I was being anxious, and that was probably the reason for the tingling/sharp pains. She said nothing can be done at the moment with the current situation, and to continue with a normal diet.

I did a 2 day water fast and the tingling/sharp feelings pretty much went away (occasional spark feeling), but as soon as I ate something, still keto, it came back within 10 mins. I did a 8 day water fast and I ate 2 boiled eggs and the feeling came back again. That brings me to today, where I'm scared to eat anything now and unable to see a Doctor.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your numbers don't look diabetic, but eating lots of carbs and sugar is bad for anyone. I had neuropathy and other symptoms that were caused by hyperlipidemia, so it's possible being obese, or some connected issue like Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or suchlike is making you feel unwell That's not a diagnosis, it's just context for my main recommendation which is to eat low-carb. If you have concerns about diabetes; if you have issues with obesity, then I would expect laying off the carbs is a good place to start. Perhaps you don't need to go for 2 day fasts and whatnot- just a sensible, long-term low-carb lifestyle: get some weight off first and then see how you feel.

MollieB

urge to pee every couple mins
First thing that came to my mind when I read this was possible pituitary issue. (Pituitary is the master gland and it is localed in your head...If you were to put one finger on the bridge of your nose between your eyebrows and the another finger on top of your head in the middle, where your fingers would intersect is roughly where the pituitary is located.) Pituitary issues can mess with your vision and can cause something called diabetes insipidus (which is NOT related to the typical diabetes we talk about here). DI is characterize by frequent urination.