Dangerous adverts of the past

Misleading adverts of the past - do you think they were bad science or misleading truths?

• Bad science

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Purposefully misleading truths

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Quarantine has had me Googling some of the adverts of the past. They're laughable today but makes you wonder how this RUBBISH scientific evidence ever was believed or whether it was misleading half-truths used purposefully. Either way, all of these will either make you laugh, or plain shock you!

Ad 1: Donuts
Fortified with vitamins?! What! (Perhaps only in America!)

vitamins1.jpg

Ad 2: 7-up AND MILK!
Wow. Just... wow! How did this EVER get past into the public?

7_up-babies.jpg

Ad 3: Smoking (of course doctors think its great!)
If it makes money, will we ever be told the truth by an industry?

smoking.jpg

Ad 4: Sugar
I'm just glad we now see through this ****!

sugar-ads1.jpg

If you've found any other ads, I'd love to see them.

I also found this one which isnt food related but will make you think OH DEAR:

pennsalt.jpg

Yes... you read it right - DDT is good(!) for you!!

Attachments

• sugar-ads1.jpg
    sugar-ads1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 7_up-babies.jpg
    7_up-babies.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Wow, so 7up in milk... Was that stuff carbonated back in the day?
I've drunk Coke on top of milk in a hypo frenzy to pull it back inline.. Not a good mix on my guts..

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest, ad 4 (sugar ) isn't any stupider than the seemingly common NHS advice that T2's should load up on carbs. If you're saying oatmeal is healthy but eggs are unhealthy, or brown rice is healthy but meat is unhealthy, then I don't really see how that's much better.

Dark Horse

Those adverts weren't even bad science - they were nothing to do with science. Just manufacturers trying to persuade people to buy their product.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Scottish father in law often drank milk with soda water for his digestion- he lived to 98 and was as fit as a biddy apart from blindness until his last couple of weeks of life mind you he also used to put holy water in his eyes for the blindness , he also had a porridge drawer, make porridge on a Sunday night put it in the drawer for a weeks supply :spitoutdummy: Smoked a pipe all his life, maybe it was his faith rather than his ministering that got him to a ripe old age lol;)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . misleading half-truths used purposefully.

Not surprised. It would seem that everything these days is based on a lie. Even what's happening now has produced yet another bunch of lies. The Covid 19 figures are a joke as are the number of tests being given. It would seem that if I for example were to become ill, I'd have to be on deaths door before being given a test. The Health minister talks about 10,000 tests a day when some of the places for NHS people to go don't actually have any tests. You also have laboratories complaining that having volunteered their services in the middle of March they have heard nothing. Sorry, gone on a bit. I'm concerned.

M

Member496333

Not really much different to half the rubbish being pedalled these days by bloomin' doctors. Low fat. Low cholesterol. Desserts for breakfast. Vegetable oils are good for you. Eat six times a day etc. etc.

Nothing's really changed, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
A guy I worked with his mother smoked 10 fags a week, she was 92 , she went to the doctor with a cold like symptoms doc told her to pack in the fags , she told him it’s ok I’ll go home and take some paracetamol with my hot whiskey toddy lol

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Scottish father in law often drank milk with soda water for his digestion- he lived to 98 and was as fit as a biddy apart from blindness until his last couple of weeks of life mind you he also used to put holy water in his eyes for the blindness , he also had a porridge drawer, make porridge on a Sunday night put it in the drawer for a weeks supply :spitoutdummy: Smoked a pipe all his life, maybe it was his faith rather than his ministering that got him to a ripe old age lol;)

Soda as in USA soda aka sugary soft drink or soda as in UK meaning soda water? Very different. Just wondering.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always found the Carling Black Label ad where the guy cleans the planes side windows mid flight dangerous, I'm a window cleaner but I'd not do that job.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the Cadbury’s Flake lady fascinating in my youth.
Who knows, she’s probably the reason I’m here now.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
iI've been told on more than one occasion that my Great-grandma kept cooked porridge in a drawer(1 slice or 2) and always thought it was my Dad pulling my leg. Maybe he was telling the truth!(She lived to 101!)

Reactions: lovinglife