Is my HbA1c so high that I should be Shielding?

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I guess nobody HAS to but the guidance for GPs would appear to allow them the discretion to ask their patients to shield if their hb1ac is high. At the end of the day it's down to individuals but I know for a fact if I was told to shield by my GP, I would. x
Hi. I don’t know what to do!!! I was sent home from work (I work in a pharmacy) and they’ve asked me if I was willing to go back to work last week so I went back on Monday! BUT, I’m not sure if it was a wise decision?! I have had type 1 for 17 years, not greatly controlled, last hba1c was 97. I havnt had a letter from NHS so I’m assuming I should be ok to work. My employer has not forced me to go back but they are really low on staff at the minute and I want to help! I’m just in 2 minds right now! Any thoughts?!

jane1950

Well I guess nobody HAS to but the guidance for GPs would appear to allow them the discretion to ask their patients to shield if their hb1ac is high. At the end of the day it's down to individuals but I know for a fact if I was told to shield by my GP, I would. x
so would I as my levels are not good, but my gp hasnt told me to

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so would I as my levels are not good, but my gp hasnt told me to

Jane, have you spoken to your Doctor about it? They do say if you believe you should be in that category then speak to your Dr. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I don’t know what to do!!! I was sent home from work (I work in a pharmacy) and they’ve asked me if I was willing to go back to work last week so I went back on Monday! BUT, I’m not sure if it was a wise decision?! I have had type 1 for 17 years, not greatly controlled, last hba1c was 97. I havnt had a letter from NHS so I’m assuming I should be ok to work. My employer has not forced me to go back but they are really low on staff at the minute and I want to help! I’m just in 2 minds right now! Any thoughts?!

Hi and welcome @viki151190

I suggest that you get in touch with your doc tomorrow morning, and see if you can discuss your return to work.
They will have your medical history, and be able to come to a much more informed decision than (for example) the NHS 111 helpline.

Something else you could do is register for Shielding on the www.gov.uk website.
Apparently your request is then passed to your doctor for them to assess your situation, but that likely takes much more time than speaking directly to your doctor would do.

hope you get an answer, and please let us know how you get on?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My partner phoned here gp her hba1c was 99 gp said over 79 is extreme risk and to isolate he instantly sent here a text to confirm and sent a letter.

My hba1c is only 76 so was spared from isolation

The best thing I’d call your gp and discuss your risk with your hba1c and get them to list you as at extreme risk

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys! I’ve completed an online assessment form online at my surgery and should hear back by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed I get a definitive answer!!!

jane1950

What are your levels? x
when I went the time before last it was over 9, although last time it dipped to 6, and they were worried it was too low, but a lot of times it is between 8 and 10, glucose levels are sometimes high in the morning, and occasionally mid morning, can dip suddenly in the afternoon, and rise again in the evening

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when I went the time before last it was over 9, although last time it dipped to 6, and they were worried it was too low, but a lot of times it is between 8 and 10, glucose levels are sometimes high in the morning, and occasionally mid morning, can dip suddenly in the afternoon, and rise again in the evening

Hi Jane, what was your last hb1ac? It's not so much the daily fluctuations they would look at but the hb1ac, ie the average of the last 3 months.I think if that is over around 75/76 then they may consider you 'extremely vulnerable'. If yours are higher than this then you should probably speak to your Dr. x

jane1950

Hi Jane, what was your last hb1ac? It's not so much the daily fluctuations they would look at but the hb1ac, ie the average of the last 3 months.I think if that is over around 75/76 then they may consider you 'extremely vulnerable'. If yours are higher than this then you should probably speak to your Dr. x
Mine was too low last time, but due to have another one as soon as I can, but being worried etc, where my results are all up high, about 14.0 this morning and one afternoon it was on 19, the averages on my machine over the past 30 days are approx 9.5

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! Just wanted to let you know I got a reply from my GP. I will copy and paste......
Many thanks for contacting us. I would suggest a risk assessment with your manager/OH and continue to maintain social distancing as much as possible.
"There may be some people with diabetes who need to do this [shielding] based on other conditions, for example cystic fibrosis-related diabetes or kidney disease. But under CURRENT guidance, most people with diabetes do not need to shield"
Hope this answers your question.
I would have thought us diabetics, especially those with poorer control, might have been shielded. They take normal flu extremely serious if we get it but yet we havnt been shielded against something much more serious?! However, I will take my doctors advice as they are the doctor and I will continue to work in my pharmacy. I am grateful for everyone still working who needs to be working, but for some of us, we are putting our own lives at extra risk to be there for our communities and hopefully they will be grateful. I hope everyone stays well! Take care

viki151190

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So basically, type 1, regardless of HBA1C, DO NOT have to be shielded. That’s the advice from my GP. I hope he is right!