At Risk or Not

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hello - I'm type two on diet only, no meds. Am I vulnerable?!
No one can say for sure. Diabetes depletes the autoimmune system and this is why diabetics are at greater risk. Your T2 is, like mine, mild. I'm taking no chances and doing a bit of extra exercise, getting lots of sleep and eating foods known to help the autoimmune system. If you look around you can see the people who are most at risk. They are the ones who are grossly overweight, with serious, neglected health issues from (75% of those dying from Covid-19 are clinically obese) Just do your best to make sure you are not one of them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you have one of the serious at risk illnesses or your HbA1c is very high, you are at no more risk than the general population. Diabetes in itself does not put you in the vulnerable group.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you have one of the serious at risk illnesses or your HbA1c is very high, you are at no more risk than the general population. Diabetes in itself does not put you in the vulnerable group.

It does put you in the vulnerable group but not in the very vulnerable group. So you ARE at more risk than the general population but not as much as the very vulnerable. x

mouse58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been off track for a long time and am now struggling to get back on track with my bs readings. Doing lots of walking and a GL diet. Readings are good after a walk but v high in the morning and after eating. So was wondering if maybe I was more vulnerable atm.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does put you in the vulnerable group but not in the very vulnerable group. So you ARE at more risk than the general population but not as much as the very vulnerable. x

KK123 - I am well known for detesting labels. Saying diabetes makes a person more vulnerable to x, y or z is no more helpful than saying women are rubbish drivers.

As someone with A1cs in the 20s, my levels are likely better than a decent chunk of normies.

I was a weedy, sickly child, suffering pneumonia at 4, and often cite the reason I pick up very few infections, colds and so on, is that I had them all before I became a teenager. Of course, that's flippant, but you get the drift. Couple that with my early professional life being spent working with super-spreaders. You can trust me, I've seen some snotty noses.

I'd say my immune system is pretty good. Of course, COVID seems pretty indiscriminate, so of course, I'm being careful and mindful of those around me.

In my view, each individual's risk profile is just that. Individual. Some folks will have had indisputable increases to their risk profiles - such as losing a lot of lymph nodes or be undergoing some treatments.

Of course, with the rapidity of this legislation and the resulting changes to our lives, in many instance only binary decisions and classifications could be made, but these are very clunky metrics.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been off track for a long time and am now struggling to get back on track with my bs readings. Doing lots of walking and a GL diet. Readings are good after a walk but v high in the morning and after eating. So was wondering if maybe I was more vulnerable atm.

Sorry for deflecting the thread a bit there, mouse58.

My suggestion to you at the moment, would be to do whatever you can to keep your levels in a good place, and practise the sensible social distancing.

If you believe you are very vulnerable, you might find some useful information on the gov.uk/coronavirus site and pages.

Stay well.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
KK123 - I am well known for detesting labels. Saying diabetes makes a person more vulnerable to x, y or z is no more helpful than saying women are rubbish drivers.

As someone with A1cs in the 20s, my levels are likely better than a decent chunk of normies.

I was a weedy, sickly child, suffering pneumonia at 4, and often cite the reason I pick up very few infections, colds and so on, is that I had them all before I became a teenager. Of course, that's flippant, but you get the drift. Couple that with my early professional life being spent working with super-spreaders. You can trust me, I've seen some snotty noses.

I'd say my immune system is pretty good. Of course, COVID seems pretty indiscriminate, so of course, I'm being careful and mindful of those around me.

In my view, each individual's risk profile is just that. Individual. Some folks will have had indisputable increases to their risk profiles - such as losing a lot of lymph nodes or be undergoing some treatments.

Of course, with the rapidity of this legislation and the resulting changes to our lives, in many instance only binary decisions and classifications could be made, but these are very clunky metrics.

Hi there, I do agree with everything you've said and I too consider myself NON vulnerable but I can certainly see why officially the govt have placed those with diabetes in the vulnerable group as they have to go with the generalisation based on expert medical advice. I think they have pitched it quite well actually, sort of by saying well you're not VERY vulnerable unless you are not managing it well but even if you are managing it well you still have to work harder at it than a non diabetic! If that makes sense. :)

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
As I understand it diabetes (on its own) does not increase your chances of catching C-19, but the outcomes are harder to manage. I would add that often pwd sometimes have other health conditions which may alter their ability to fend off the illness, or cope with it.

mouse58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for deflecting the thread a bit there, mouse58.

My suggestion to you at the moment, would be to do whatever you can to keep your levels in a good place, and practise the sensible social distancing.

If you believe you are very vulnerable, you might find some useful information on the gov.uk/coronavirus site and pages.

Stay well.
Thank you!
That's ok KK123, makes life more interesting to have deflections!:happy:

Reactions: DCUKMod