Any way to stop these after meal blood sugar spikes?

beccaxo

IMG_6197.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum @beccaxo .
Before anyone can offer advice it will require a bit more information.
What type of diabetes do you have?
What medication are you on?
What type of foods / diet do you follow.
This information will provide a good starting point to hopefully help you.

beccaxo

Type 1 diabetes, carb counting, novarapid and tresiba and no diets just normal eating, am injecting about 10 units ish per meal so quite a lot of carbs

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetes, carb counting, novarapid and tresiba and no diets just normal eating, am injecting about 10 units ish per meal so quite a lot of carbs
Looking at your graph it appears that after a while your sugars drop quite quickly.
Do you pre bolus for meals?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When are you taking novorapid before you eat?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Novorapid has been referred to as novosluggish on thiss forum. I was told to take it 15 to 20 minutes before I eat.

Reactions: beccaxo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I inject just before I eat so maybe I should try injecting 15 mins before or something?
Definitely a good place to start.
Depending on what you are eating can make a big difference to pre bolus timing.
A meal containing high fat can require a longer pre bolus, 30 mins even and also splitting bolus. A pizza for instance may require two separate injections. The first before you eat and another after you’ve eaten. It’s all trial and error. For me a pizza would need 70% insulin dose as pre bolus and 30% after eating.
There’s always a solution, we just have to find it.
Feel free to ask any questions. Someone will always have something to offer.:)

Reactions: beccaxo

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can i detect you only eat 2 meals per day from that graph?
As a suggestion, little and often eating; have you had any carb counting advice?
What about exercise? I find 1000 steps will drop my BS by one point.....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, after the morning spike there's a sharp drop, did you inject again for that to happen or did it drop after spiking on it's own?

If my bloods are high on a morning I usually need to add a unit or two to the breakfast bolus then wait to see the line start to move downwards before I eat, and the second bigger spike to me says simple sugars, mine would do that if I ate sweet and sour chicken but if I ate chicken chow mien the spike would come later and slower, and just as high if I didn't inject to correct it.

Then again if yours is a reasonably new diagnosis, you'd have the 'honeymoon period' to contend with.

MarkHaZ123

Not sure how long you are checking after food but it looks very soon after eating

I don't take readings for a couple of hours after eating. The novarapid pens take time to work which is why you have them 15 mins before a meal. Then food will spike till the pen kicks in and brings it lower

Could be wrong but this is how it seems to work for me

Mine only spiked tonight as I took a reading for bed. Iv not long had some chocolate and nuts

I had a bacon butty at 11 and tea at 6 tonight with a grenola bar mid afternoon and some chocolate tonight

Try not to take readings straight after food
Screenshot_20200409_231104_com.freestylelibre.app.gb.jpg

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as some other have said, I really find I have to inject novorapid 10-20 mins before eating. I used to have hypos during meals so brought my novorapid later and later in relation to eating, but was horrified to also find similar peaks when I started on the Libre last year. This gave me the confidence to inject 10-20 mins before meals again. This depends on what I'm eating, and what my starting blood is (sometimes I want it to come up a bit anyway). If you login to libre view there are some nice meal time stats and graphs which might help you? Good luck!

beccaxo

Can i detect you only eat 2 meals per day from that graph?
As a suggestion, little and often eating; have you had any carb counting advice?
What about exercise? I find 1000 steps will drop my BS by one point.....

Well I had a late dinner at like 11pm the day before as I just finished work and then the other two spikes was breakfast and then a dinner later on, I was working between 8am and 2pm so doing about 4000-5000, I’ve got my insulin to carb ratios set which was ages ago by my nurse, not sure how to check if it’s still correct or not?

beccaxo

Hi, after the morning spike there's a sharp drop, did you inject again for that to happen or did it drop after spiking on it's own?

If my bloods are high on a morning I usually need to add a unit or two to the breakfast bolus then wait to see the line start to move downwards before I eat, and the second bigger spike to me says simple sugars, mine would do that if I ate sweet and sour chicken but if I ate chicken chow mien the spike would come later and slower, and just as high if I didn't inject to correct it.

Then again if yours is a reasonably new diagnosis, you'd have the 'honeymoon period' to contend with.

No I’ve had this for 11 years, but I do like ‘bad carbs’ white bread etc, no I didn’t inject again in the morning, I was working 8am-2pm so that’s why I left it because thought I’d drop soon anyway

beccaxo

Not sure how long you are checking after food but it looks very soon after eating

I don't take readings for a couple of hours after eating. The novarapid pens take time to work which is why you have them 15 mins before a meal. Then food will spike till the pen kicks in and brings it lower

Could be wrong but this is how it seems to work for me

Mine only spiked tonight as I took a reading for bed. Iv not long had some chocolate and nuts

I had a bacon butty at 11 and tea at 6 tonight with a grenola bar mid afternoon and some chocolate tonight

Try not to take readings straight after foodView attachment 40236

I know it takes a while to work so going to inject at least 15 mins before I eat which I hadn’t been doing, thanks!