Just woke up

mark115_1

Hi All,

I am recently (December)been diagnosed with T2 am on 1 metformin a day my normal rage is 5-7 from what I read that is the normal range.

But woke up this moring thought I would test my blood suger levels before eating or drinking and it was 9.1 is that normal?

Am still trying to get my head around when am I need to do blood tests.

Thanks Mark

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All,

I am recently (December)been diagnosed with T2 am on 1 metformin a day my normal rage is 5-7 from what I read that is the normal range.

But woke up this moring thought I would test my blood suger levels before eating or drinking and it was 9.1 is that normal?

Am still trying to get my head around when am I need to do blood tests.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

Unfortunately it is normal for a good number of people. Our bodies like to give us a kickstart in the morning and so the liver often releases stored glucose before or upon waking. This has the handy name of Dawn Phenomenon and you can search for it using the search bar at the top of the screen - it comes up a lot in the forums.

Metformin is supposed to reduce this effect but it looks like it's not doing much for you.

mark115_1

Hi Mark

Unfortunately it is normal for a good number of people. Our bodies like to give us a kickstart in the morning and so the liver often releases stored glucose before or upon waking. This has the handy name of Dawn Phenomenon and you can search for it using the search bar at the top of the screen - it comes up a lot in the forums.

Metformin is supposed to reduce this effect but it looks like it's not doing much for you.
Thank you I will start looking