1st diaversary coming up

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's because of the carbs, why not bake yourself a low carb one?

hjm1986

Why can’t you have cake? Have you not been taught how to ratio your insulin levels with your carb input? I’m type 1 and have been since I was 11 years old - I eat chocolate and cakes etc. all the time! Well not all the time but you get my point?! As long as you match your carb / sugar intake with the insulin ratio you need, you should be fine?! Have you done DAFNE? It might be worth asking if you can do a DAFNE course or something similar X X And for the record if I want cake - chocolate or otherwise I have cake!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And cant even have a bit of cake

Happy diaversary, @Diabeticger .

If it's any consolation to you? I didn't eat any of our wedding cake when wed. But it didn't stop me calling the shots on how it should look? Black & in the shape of my beloved chariot..

However,
A diaversary is a personal affair. Celibrate it how you wish.. :)

Reactions: Antje77

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Google 'keto mug cake', put a candle on top but only after you took it from the microwave and party away!

On a more serious note, are you working on this? adjusting your doses to your carbs instead of the other way round may give you some more freedom.
No, not yet , I was supposed to have my annual check last week but it's been postponed due to covid, I'm currently on 14 until of lantus at night and a 5_5_4 dose of novorapid

Reactions: Antje77

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could have a small piece of cake. Back when I was on fixed doses I was told the best cakey thing to eat was a cream eclair, but I must admit I have no idea how many carbs are in an eclair, back when I used to eat them I wasn't carb counting and now I'm lactose intolerant so it's a loooooong time since I had one. Might be worth investigating though!
p.s meringue nests aren't too horrific, add some whipped cream and berries. Don't buy pavlova or meringue desserts though, they usually have tons of sticky sweet sauce on them making them more carby.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still on a fixed dosage,
No, not yet , I was supposed to have my annual check last week but it's been postponed due to covid, I'm currently on 14 until of lantus at night and a 5_5_4 dose of novorapid

Hi,

Sounds like you're there.. Being prescribed "MDI."
Just have to work out what your personal insulin to carb ratio is.? & may need to experiment with the injection timing.
Testing as you go.

What normally happens to help with that flexibility with when & how much in a meal is adjusted in the fast acting.

Now we can't tell you what to do regarding your current dosage. You would need to speak with your consultant.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could have a small piece of cake. Back when I was on fixed doses I was told the best cakey thing to eat was a cream eclair, but I must admit I have no idea how many carbs are in an eclair, back when I used to eat them I wasn't carb counting and now I'm lactose intolerant so it's a loooooong time since I had one. Might be worth investigating though!
p.s meringue nests aren't too horrific, add some whipped cream and berries. Don't buy pavlova or meringue desserts though, they usually have tons of sticky sweet sauce on them making them more carby.
I have a chocolate eclairs every now and again and must admit they dont really effect my bgs sometimes i just pick the strip of chocolate off i find fresh cream the best

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy almost diaversary!

I hope the advice you're being given is better than what I had! I only listened to their fixed dosing advice for a few months as it was so vague they'd just say 'have a couple more potatoes' but I often didn't have the appetite and have never liked having the same meals day in day out, which is what they were trying to get me to do. I heard about carb counting online and asked them about it and they said 'oh yeah, we used to teach it but people found it too hard so stopped'. They were more than happy to support me through it after I'd asked though.

My point being, perhaps if you email/ring and say you were due to have an appointment and wanted to discuss carb counting they might be able to offer email/phone/skype etc support?

In the mean time, maybe subbing a usual meal for say low carb main (salad/fish/meat etc) and a slice of cake would still allow some freedom for you to mark your diaversary and not feel too restricted in how you can celebrate? If you're concerned perhaps doing this at lunchtime would still give you the rest of the day to observe your blood glucose rather than worrying about low/high overnight?

Do what you feel comfortable with, hope you enjoy though!