Foot Care during Covid 19

SemG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Due to the lock-down, it is impossible to have my monthly chiropody treatment and I am currently suffering from corns, I would like to know whether there is any corn treatment which can be bought online which is suitable for diabetics (Type 2).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to the lock-down, it is impossible to have my monthly chiropody treatment and I am currently suffering from corns, I would like to know whether there is any corn treatment which can be bought online which is suitable for diabetics (Type 2).
Can you give your regular chiropodist a call for advice?

D

Deleted member 308541

Due to the lock-down, it is impossible to have my monthly chiropody treatment and I am currently suffering from corns,
I have a appointment with my podiatrist next week, and as far as I know it comes under the medical treatment section of going outside the lock down. They have not notified me as to whether it's been cancelled so I will be going.

Dr Schools have good product for fixing corns...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SemG - Please be very, very wary of self-treating your feet.

Do you have chiropody treatment because you prefer it to doing it yourself, or do you have it because you're not able to do it, or do it well?

When we are living with diabetes we have to be very careful with out foot care. Most shop bought corn treatments include a toxic liquid, which has the potential to burn and do a lot of damage.

I would urge you not to try it. As suggested, please call whoever helps with your feet.

joffy01582

I was told tuesday that all podiatry at bedford clinics have been stopped bar for foot ulcers ....i got an appointment monday.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Have you tried using a urea based cream to keep the skin softer on your corns? Flexibility do one which has a high percentage of urea: 25%. Corns are painful! But yes, beware creating an injury by doing too much yourself. A soak in warm water might help too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Corn plasters and creams can be used to ease the pain but to remove the corn properly the core has to be enucleated (removed with a scalpel ) after the hard skin has been debrided this should be done by a podiatrist and should not be attempted by your self.

Goodhand

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
It is best to do as the boys above say, you can call a podiatrist to help you or advise you to buy a product online.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SemG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
SemG - Please be very, very wary of self-treating your feet.

Do you have chiropody treatment because you prefer it to doing it yourself, or do you have it because you're not able to do it, or do it well?

When we are living with diabetes we have to be very careful with out foot care. Most shop bought corn treatments include a toxic liquid, which has the potential to burn and do a lot of damage.

I would urge you not to try it. As suggested, please call whoever helps with your feet.
Thanks for your reply, I am aware of the fact that I should not treat it myself but my chiropodist is not available (self isolating I think), also I am very wary of going for a treatment and catching the virus at the moment hence I was looking for relatively safer home treatment.

SemG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you tried using a urea based cream to keep the skin softer on your corns? Flexibility do one which has a high percentage of urea: 25%. Corns are painful! But yes, beware creating an injury by doing too much yourself. A soak in warm water might help too.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have been using something called Foot Rescue with high urea content, yes, it helps in keeping the skin softer. I wish there was a corn remover product for diabetics though...

SemG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Corn plasters and creams can be used to ease the pain but to remove the corn properly the core has to be enucleated (removed with a scalpel ) after the hard skin has been debrided this should be done by a podiatrist and should not be attempted by your self.
Thanks