Hba1c - 5.5 % - 37 mmol/mol )

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am trying a new way of monitoring my glucose level. The average started at 6.7, but using a sensor, the average today is 5.1.

I am taking my gl every 30 minutes and normally will do a one minute star jump. The constant monitoring allows me to know what food and snacks make my gl peak or not. I am eliminating those that contribute to the peak.

I would like your views on the following:

I am eating when my gl is below 5. I have seen the advantages with my gl and hb1c going down and even my morning gl is below 5 - was previously higher than 6 and sometimes 7 or 8.

is there any danger in eating only when my gl is lower than 5 mmol/l ? Of course, I avoid going to bed with my gl low ...

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi
I am trying a new way of monitoring my glucose level. The average started at 6.7, but using a sensor, the average today is 5.1.

I am taking my gl every 30 minutes and normally will do a one minute star jump. The constant monitoring allows me to know what food and snacks make my gl peak or not. I am eliminating those that contribute to the peak.

I would like your views on the following:

I am eating when my gl is below 5. I have seen the advantages with my gl and hb1c going down and even my morning gl is below 5 - was previously higher than 6 and sometimes 7 or 8.

is there any danger in eating only when my gl is lower than 5 mmol/l ? Of course, I avoid going to bed with my gl low ...
If you're not T1D and you are not taking any related medication, you can even go to bed on an empty stomach. That helps in having low morning BG as well as your hba1c readings. If you are using a CGM, you can give it a try.This is not an expert opinion, it's just a suggestion from an individual with T2D with remission under way.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on any medication?
If not, it's perfectly safe.

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you're not T1D and you are not taking any related medication, you can even go to bed on an empty stomach. That helps in having low morning BG as well as your hba1c readings. If you are using a CGM, you can give it a try.This is not an expert opinion, it's just a suggestion from an individual with T2D with remission under way.
I am T2D. No medication, just diet. How do you know if T2D with remission under way?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

If you're not on medication there shouldn't be a reason to need to keep from going low, unless you're diagnosed with a form of hypoglyceamia.
If it's not that but 'only' T2 or prediabetes you're dealing with, it's perfectly fine to see numbers in the 4's and even the 3's. Everything you've read about low blood sugar or hypo's is aimed at diabetics on medication or insulin.
Diabetes is a problem of high blood glucose, the low blood glucose only comes in as a result of balancing medication to diet and exercise!

Reactions: Robbity

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is there any danger in eating only when my gl is lower than 5 mmol/l ?
. Hunger? Seriously if I waited for a 4 before eating I’d rarely eat. If it’s regularly enough for you not to be excessively hungry and to get enough nutrition to keep you healthy then no no danger.

Of course, I avoid going to bed with my gl low ...
Why? Without medication or a separate condition of hypoglycaemia you won’t go too low. Type 2 (unmedicated) is a disease of high not low gl.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
I am T2D. No medication, just diet. How do you know if T2D with remission under way?
Some experts talk about reversal and remission. Well my T2D is in remission because my hba1c is below 6.2 % (44 mmol/mol), my only form of medication is diet and regular exercise. My last reading (Jan. 27) was 5.8 % (40 mmol/mol). You can have a look at my numbers in my profile.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Just one question: have you ever experienced any hypos? If the answer is"no", then you can safely go to bed without a single bite. You've done a great job: managing your BG just with diet. Other people are struggling with tons of pills and injections to get as close to your numbers as possible. (Touch wood)

Reactions: Cornflake

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you're not on medication there shouldn't be a reason to need to keep from going low, unless you're diagnosed with a form of hypoglyceamia.
If it's not that but 'only' T2 or prediabetes you're dealing with, it's perfectly fine to see numbers in the 4's and even the 3's. Everything you've read about low blood sugar or hypo's is aimed at diabetics on medication or insulin.
Diabetes is a problem of high blood glucose, the low blood glucose only comes in as a result of balancing medication to diet and exercise!
That’s very clear. Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
. Hunger? Seriously if I waited for a 4 before eating I’d rarely eat. If it’s regularly enough for you not to be excessively hungry and to get enough nutrition to keep you healthy then no no danger.

Why? Without medication or a separate condition of hypoglycaemia you won’t go too low. Type 2 (unmedicated) is a disease of high not low gl.
With the exercise and that I now know what to eat to avoid blood spikes, I am eating every 2.5 hours. Small Portions are what keep me going with no spike

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just one question: have you ever experienced any hypos? If the answer is"no", then you can safely go to bed without a single bite. You've done a great job: managing your BG just with diet. Other people are struggling with tons of pills and injections to get as close to your numbers as possible. (Touch wood)
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sadly, I can’t go to bed empty stomach but my gl should be at least higher than 4.5 before bed

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some experts talk about reversal and remission. Well my T2D is in remission because my hba1c is below 6.2 % (44 mmol/mol), my only form of medication is diet and regular exercise. My last reading (Jan. 27) was 5.8 % (40 mmol/mol). You can have a look at my numbers in my profile.
You are doing great. About remission, am I right to infer that it’s a remission and now it’s up to the individual not to go back to T2D or even pre

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is my current glucose level graph

Attachments

• B5D7D1D8-8F03-4FAE-B6E2-FF2ECC271EBD.png
    B5D7D1D8-8F03-4FAE-B6E2-FF2ECC271EBD.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 359

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gl should be at least higher than 4.5 before bed

Is this something you have been told or just a personal preference..
For a T1 maybe (although even that is debatable) but for a diet controlled T2 there's nothing magic about 4.5 mmol/l..

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Sadly, I can’t go to bed empty stomach but my gl should be at least higher than 4.5 before bed
Going to bed with little or no food is matter of personal choice. Our bodies behave and react differently. You only need to do what does your body good.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
You are doing great. About remission, am I right to infer that it’s a remission and now it’s up to the individual not to go back to T2D or even pre
Being in remission shouldn't be an excuse to resume a diet that brought me to T2D. Even if I reversed it, I wouldn't. I really love my new lifestyle (diet exercise, everything)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the exercise and that I now know what to eat to avoid blood spikes, I am eating every 2.5 hours. Small Portions are what keep me going with no spike

Frequent eating also has the potential to keep insulin levels higher. Maybe something to look into. Many find less eating (in terms of time not quantity) works better to reduce insulin resistance and overall long term levels. This can simple mean no snacks or intermittent fasting (eating in one time window each day) or more extended fasts. Which foods you choose to eat are probably more important though to avoid spikes.

any reason why you feel it should be above 4.5mmol? As a non medicated type 2 with no history of hypos there doesn’t appear from what you’ve said to be any medical reason for this.

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is this something you have been told or just a personal preference..
For a T1 maybe (although even that is debatable) but for a diet controlled T2 there's nothing magic about 4.5 mmol/l..
A matter of preference or perhaps worried to go into hypoglycaemia though this is very rare while sleeping because the body will compensate

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Frequent eating also has the potential to keep insulin levels higher. Maybe something to look into. Many find less eating (in terms of time not quantity) works better to reduce insulin resistance and overall long term levels. This can simple mean no snacks or intermittent fasting (eating in one time window each day) or more extended fasts. Which foods you choose to eat are probably more important though to avoid spikes.

any reason why you feel it should be above 4.5mmol? As a non medicated type 2 with no history of hypos there doesn’t appear from what you’ve said to be any medical reason for this.
How do I know if my insulin levels are high?