Failure in Retinal Scan and Cataract Diagnosis

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
I suffer from quite sever myopia and for several years have also been warned by my optician that I have cataracts developing which in the longer term might need treatment if they are unable to prescribe lenses to correct vision. Alongside this for the past four years since diagnosis, I have had a retinal scan. The first three years they were judged as no issues found. However, earlier this year I was advised that I had a tear in the retina, which had developed quite quickly as it wasn't spotted during my annual review by my optician. I was told that I had to see my GP to get a referral to the local diabetic retinal services for them to review the result, however, with the Covid-19 developing, I have been unable to see my GP, even for a discussion on the phone. And it is now obvious that this won't happen any time soon. So, should I be worried by the delay? The optician appears quite blase about ti, telling me not to worry, and come back if I notice any sudden change in vision. He also said that the cataracts which were blurring the vision in one eye were not an issue for driving, as my lenses prescription was compensating for that.. Not sure of that, but I presume he knows what he is talking about, as I can see pretty well and peripheral vision seems unchanged. I suppose I am just worried about a combination of things, which might lead to complications further down the line? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues unresolved?

Dark Horse

earlier this year I was advised that I had a tear in the retina, which had developed quite quickly as it wasn't spotted during my annual review by my optician. I was told that I had to see my GP to get a referral to the local diabetic retinal services
Are you sure it was a tear in the retina? Usually, that would warrant an urgent referral to the hospital eye service, and it wouldn't need to be to the diabetic retinal service. What was the exact wording on your results letter?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
I found the eye monitoring process very slow. referrals can take many months too. There is quite a lot of demand. Sometimes you have to be more forceful with the GP surgery staff to get what you need. They've told me this themselves.. By the sound of it, a face to face with the GP wouldn't gain much., but its a stepping stone to get over.

Getting a call back from the NHS111 system can help unblock communication. i.e. not the first person you speak to there, but someone probably in the Ophthalmic dept. I'm sure thy would want to have you on a regular scan. After each visit they assess when the next visit should be. For me it seemed to vary between 4 and 13 weeks.

On the plus side, you can see well! Lucky you.

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
Are you sure it was a tear in the retina? Usually, that would warrant an urgent referral to the hospital eye service, and it wouldn't need to be to the diabetic retinal service. What was the exact wording on your results letter?
The results letter detailed that a tear had been found and that I was likely to be referred by my GP, But by that time the lockdown had started and contacting my GP has proven to be problematic at the moment. I went to my optician who said they couldn't refer me it had to by my GP or the Retinal scan service themselves. Everything has stopped dead due to the virus. Even getting my repeat prescriptions took over a week, from a service when they used to be turned around within 24 hours. Its just frustrating not knowing, and not wanting to make a fuss, when everyone is so busy.'

Dark Horse

not wanting to make a fuss, when everyone is so busy.'
If fluid gets into a retinal tear, it can become a retinal detachment which is an emergency. If a retinal detachment is not treated promptly it can lead to permanent sight loss. Making sure that this is followed up correctly is not 'making a fuss'.

In difficult times like these, normal procedures can go awry and there is a worry that your referral has been overlooked. I would persist in contacting your GP - some surgeries do an 'econsult' where you fill in details of your problem online and the GP gets back to you by phone the next day. Check your surgery's website to see what their procedures are for having a telephone consultation. Make sure your surgery has an up-to-date telephone number for you.

In the meantime, if you get any of the symptoms of retinal detachment, phone NHS 111 and they will advise you how to get seen in eye casualty.

Symptoms of retinal detachment:-
More info on retinal tears and retinal detachments here:- https://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health/eye-conditions/retinal-detachment