The Better Meter

nomunnofun

Following my previous thread and my short period of mass testing, can anyone advise as to their preference for one of two meters - the Gluco Navii or the One Touch Select Plus? There is consistently a higher reading on the former to the point where I just don’t know any more. Yesterday my readings on the One Touch were:

Wakening - 5.8
Before breakfast - 5.6 (porridge)
Two hours after - 5.4
Before lunch - 5.8
Two hours after - 6.2
Before dinner- 6.1
Two hours after - 7.3
Just before bedtime -6.0

On the last two, I also used the Navii with readings of 8.6 and 7.0

Thank you

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve always found one touch to be good... the brands I trust are

Bayer/asensia accuchek and one touch

I’ve had several meters from the and all have been good

However there will still be differences between meters they are allowed a tolerance of 15%

So pick one stick with it and forget the other

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will, thanks. It will be the One Touch, not least because it gives lower readings!
Now I’d have gone the other way (based on readings alone) as the higher numbers would motivate me more - and make the hb1ac a pleasant surprise. Others would argue the opposite about motivation

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I would be looking suspiciously at the meter that gave me a lower reading after eating porridge

Reactions: Robbity

nomunnofun

I would be looking suspiciously at the meter that gave me a lower reading after eating porridge
That’s the thing. Porridge just does not affect me. Today my reading was 6.4 just before breakfast and 5.4 two hours later. Thus is the case more often than not. Is this normal?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s the thing. Porridge just does not affect me. Today my reading was 6.4 just before breakfast and 5.4 two hours later. Thus is the case more often than not. Is this normal?
Have you ever tried testing porridge at a different time of day? I’m curious if dawn phenomenon masks the rise or if there simply isn’t one. Perhaps anyone else reading this that also has porridge believing it’s ok could report back too on this mini experiment.

nomunnofun

Have you ever tried testing porridge at a different time of day? I’m curious if dawn phenomenon masks the rise or if there simply isn’t one. Perhaps anyone else reading this that also has porridge believing it’s ok could report back too on this mini experiment.

Interesting. In my own case, however, I don’t eat breakfast immediately, usually at least an hour after I get up.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. In my own case, however, I don’t eat breakfast immediately, usually at least an hour after I get up.
Still curious. Foot on floor as opposed to DP can hit a bit later.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Both meters will be more accurate at lower numbers 15% of 4 would be much less that 15% of 10 for example so if if have good control the margin of error will be smaller

I did a test of about 12 different meters recently and the ones from the brands about being the most consistent... glucorx being one of the worst

At the end of the day they are not lab grade bits of kit they are only intended to be good enough for home treatment and to be fair all of the are... or they wouldn’t get type approval.

I’m lucky enough that my gp will prescribe what I want as far as strips go and my current choice is. Ascensia contour next

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@HSSS . Dawn phenomenon and feet on floor are both scenarios where the liver releases glucagon in to the body. This causes an often unwanted rise in BS levels for diabetics. You’ll have to correct me if this isn’t the case for type 2 diabetics. If it is the case with all diabetics then surely the OP would be seeing a noticeable rise in BS levels after eating porridge as opposed to a fall in levels.

nomunnofun

@HSSS . Dawn phenomenon and feet on floor are both scenarios where the liver releases glucagon in to the body. This causes an often unwanted rise in BS levels for diabetics. You’ll have to correct me if this isn’t the case for type 2 diabetics. If it is the case with all diabetics then surely the OP would be seeing a noticeable rise in BS levels after eating porridge as opposed to a fall in levels.
Well they don’t ALWAYS fall but never rise significantly. 27 g Oat So Simple with water.

Before eating and two hours after readings:

Tuesday 5.5, 6.9
Wednesday 5.7, 6.0
Thursday 5.5, 4.4
Friday 5.6, 5.4
Saturday 5.8, 6.9
Today 6.4, 5.4

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I meant it if there’s already a DP rise taken place before eating it will give a misleadingly high preprandial reading. Bgl will drop regardless of food as DP wears off. Maybe an example will explain it better than I am.

without DP without food Stable
Pre 5.5
+2hrs 5.5 ish

without DP with porridge Rise of 3 as porridge isn’t great for this person
Pre 5.5
Post 8.5

with DP but no food. Fall of 2 as DP wears off
Pre 7.5
+2hrs 5.5

with DP and porridge Rise of 3 & fall of 2 masking effect of porridge appearing as a rise of just 1
Pre 7.5
Post 8.5

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I’m aware and my experience is in type 2 that DP rise falls away as we do have our own insulin that does the job eventually. I’m assuming you’d need to correct for it as a type 1

nomunnofun

Well they don’t ALWAYS fall but never rise significantly. My
What I meant it if there’s already a DP rise taken place before eating it will give a misleadingly high preprandial reading. Bgl will drop regardless of food as DP wears off. Maybe an example will explain it better than I am.

without DP without food Stable
Pre 5.5
+2hrs 5.5 ish

without DP with porridge Rise of 3 as porridge isn’t great for this person
Pre 5.5
Post 8.5

with DP but no food. Fall of 2 as DP wears off
Pre 7.5
+2hrs 5.5

with DP and porridge Rise of 3 & fall of 2 masking effect of porridge appearing as a rise of just 1
Pre 7.5
Post 8.5

All getting very technical for this newbie

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well they don’t ALWAYS fall but never rise significantly. 27 g Oat So Simple with water.

Before eating and two hours after readings:

Tuesday 5.5, 6.9
Wednesday 5.7, 6.0
Thursday 5.5, 4.4
Friday 5.6, 5.4
Saturday 5.8, 6.9
Today 6.4, 5.4
Well there’s little consistency there, other than all the changes are small. It’s only out loud thinking on my part. What sort of numbers would you get pre prandial later in the day, especially if it’s been a long while since eating last?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All getting very technical for this newbie
Sorry. I’m amusing and confusing myself and don’t mean to do the same to you.

I’m just always surprised when people find porridge/potato/pasta etc is ok despite the carbs and wonder if it really is (and am therefore jealous) or if there’s some reason it appears that way when it’s not. Another suspect is a slower rise that shows up at say 3hrs instead of 2.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can’t see how long OP has been diagnosed.. or type

But for me in the first couple of years after diagnosis I hardly had and bg spikes and control was really easy... this was because I was producing my own insulin albeit in a smaller quantity so whatever I injected was topped up with my own insulin

As time went by and a produced less of my own I would get bigger and bigger spikes.. is OP new to diabetes if so you could be getting an easy ride at the moment

nomunnofun

Well there’s little consistency there, other than all the changes are small. It’s only out loud thinking on my part. What sort of numbers would you get pre prandial later in the day, especially if it’s been a long while since eating last?
Thanks. Let’s take Friday and Saturday. First reading is Friday, second Saturday.

Wakening 5.8, 5.8
Just before breakfast 5.6, 5.8
Two hours later 5.4, 6.9
Just before lunch 5.3, 6.1
Two hours later 6.3, 6.2
Just before dinner 6.1, 6.1
Two hours later 7.1, 7.3
Bedtime 6.0, 7.2

Have to confess to eating a pancake 1.5 hours before last reading.

nomunnofun

I can’t see how long OP has been diagnosed.. or type

But for me in the first couple of years after diagnosis I hardly had and bg spikes and control was really easy... this was because I was producing my own insulin albeit in a smaller quantity so whatever I injected was topped up with my own insulin

As time went by and a produced less of my own I would get bigger and bigger spikes.. is OP new to diabetes if so you could be getting an easy ride at the moment

I had a random hbA1C test at a doctor’s surgery where I worked in January 2018 . I had massively overindulged at Christmas, particularly on sweets. The result was 50. Thankfully I have never eaten nor enjoyed desserts! I changed my diet, lost two stone and the next test showed 42 three months later. In March 2019 I weighed 11st and ran 5k twice a week and my next result was 38. Not tested since.