Type 1 and Teacher

Emmett7

Hello all. With the potential impending reopening of schools for some students I am querying where I stand. As a type 1 for 40 years i am unclear as to guidance in regards to me returning to school when it reopens. There is no pressure coming from my employer however any advice would be most welcome. Thank you Jon.

Reactions: 4mum_

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmett7.
I think a lot depends on how well controlled your diabetes is. All the current guidelines have become somewhat blurred overtime, but what appears to be the general consensus is that if you have good control ( an HbA1C below 78 ) and have no other underlying conditions then your risk is not greater than others in your age group without diabetes or other conditions.
I personally believe that T1, if we maintain relatively good control makes us healthier than a lot of people out there.
Only you know how well you control your diabetes and how other illnesses impact on you in general. If things like colds or the flu really impact hard on you then taking more precautions may be advisable.

Reactions: annie-p

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I do agree that if you are well controlled then the risk of catching it may well be equal to those who do not have diabetes and even less if the non diabetics aren't that healthy themselves. The issue for me is that none of us know how our bodies will react if we DO get it and for all we know simply being diabetic may make our immune system go into overdrive in a way that a non diabetics doesn't. I think that may be why we are placed in the in between category of vulnerable, (not 'normal' and not very vulnerable') because of a 'flawed' immune system. You are vulnerable so you should be stringently following the social distancing rules which means working from home 'if possible'. (Everyone should be working from home if possible of course, but especially 'you' because of your health condition). The problem is the 'if possible' bit and that is down to your work to decide, as a Teacher they would have to decide whether you could work from home (probably difficult when the kids all go back to school). Read the govt guidance about social distancing along with the Employer guidance (same site), see if your school has any protocols in relation to this themselves also. After all that, I would then decide for yourself whether you wish to go back to school or whether you don't want to go near the place, we are all different, if you do not want to go back you will have to make your own business case for it (helped by the guidelines) and hope that your school will accommodate you. x

Reactions: SarahGJ

Emmett7

Hi there, I do agree that if you are well controlled then the risk of catching it may well be equal to those who do not have diabetes and even less if the non diabetics aren't that healthy themselves. The issue for me is that none of us know how our bodies will react if we DO get it and for all we know simply being diabetic may make our immune system go into overdrive in a way that a non diabetics doesn't. I think that may be why we are placed in the in between category of vulnerable, (not 'normal' and not very vulnerable') because of a 'flawed' immune system. You are vulnerable so you should be stringently following the social distancing rules which means working from home 'if possible'. (Everyone should be working from home if possible of course, but especially 'you' because of your health condition). The problem is the 'if possible' bit and that is down to your work to decide, as a Teacher they would have to decide whether you could work from home (probably difficult when the kids all go back to school). Read the govt guidance about social distancing along with the Employer guidance (same site), see if your school has any protocols in relation to this themselves also. After all that, I would then decide for yourself whether you wish to go back to school or whether you don't want to go near the place, we are all different, if you do not want to go back you will have to make your own business case for it (helped by the guidelines) and hope that your school will accommodate you. x
Thank you for your time replying and the advice given.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Emmett7 if you don't feel safe then you should not go back just now. I would get signed off, It's your life that is at risk.

If you do get signed of for a couple of months by then the school term will be finished and you will have even more breathing space to see how this virus is progressing and be able to make a decision at that time that is best for you.

I can say from personal experience, as an "essential" worker that people do not use any common sense and constantly put me at risk of infection. I do not want that to sound any more dramatic than it is where I live there are no reported cases. I am not in a high risk area.

My company issues guide lines on what they consider "safe", they haven't got my safety in mind just a way they can stay open and keep collecting money. These half-***** measure of safety do not even offer a placebo effect as they are so transparently ineffectual that it is insulting.:meh:

The point I am trying to make Jon is no matter what guide lines the government implements they will be fundamentally flawed and will place you at risk. Taking time of now and returning at the start of next term is something to consider. Especially if you are still able to contribute to the school from home. :bored:
:bag:

Emmett7

Hi @Emmett7 if you don't feel safe then you should not go back just now. I would get signed off, It's your life that is at risk.

If you do get signed of for a couple of months by then the school term will be finished and you will have even more breathing space to see how this virus is progressing and be able to make a decision at that time that is best for you.

I can say from personal experience, as an "essential" worker that people do not use any common sense and constantly put me at risk of infection. I do not want that to sound any more dramatic than it is where I live there are no reported cases. I am not in a high risk area.

My company issues guide lines on what they consider "safe", they haven't got my safety in mind just a way they can stay open and keep collecting money. These half-***** measure of safety do not even offer a placebo effect as they are so transparently ineffectual that it is insulting.:meh:

The point I am trying to make Jon is no matter what guide lines the government implements they will be fundamentally flawed and will place you at risk. Taking time of now and returning at the start of next term is something to consider. Especially if you are still able to contribute to the school from home. :bored:
Thank you

Emmett7

@Emmett7.
I think a lot depends on how well controlled your diabetes is. All the current guidelines have become somewhat blurred overtime, but what appears to be the general consensus is that if you have good control ( an HbA1C below 78 ) and have no other underlying conditions then your risk is not greater than others in your age group without diabetes or other conditions.
I personally believe that T1, if we maintain relatively good control makes us healthier than a lot of people out there.
Only you know how well you control your diabetes and how other illnesses impact on you in general. If things like colds or the flu really impact hard on you then taking more precautions may be advisable.
Thank you

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, signed off by who though? The Dr most likely won't unless there are other health conditions or your diabetes isn't controlled, etc. If you sign yourself off then effectively you may be at risk of misconduct & in some Professions, no pay etc? It's fine if you have a good employer who appreciates the govt advice but how many have that?(I do thankfully so I am working from home). x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to find asking your employer to do a risk assessment helps. Diabetics appear to be higher risk so what are they going to do to ensure you can work safely?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello all. With the potential impending reopening of schools for some students I am querying where I stand. As a type 1 for 40 years i am unclear as to guidance in regards to me returning to school when it reopens. There is no pressure coming from my employer however any advice would be most welcome. Thank you Jon.

Hi @Emmett7 I work with SEN children and travel with them in a confirmed space, so, when we are able to start go back to school, I will email the council regarding the transport vehicle and with keeping some social distancing in place, if needed.
As another member has mentioned, you could ask for a risk assessment.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Dr most likely won't unless there are other health conditions or your diabetes isn't controlled, etc.
You can not predict what a Doctor will or will not do. And neither can I but it is my assumption that if you are in an at risk group in fear for your life then they would probably agree to. I have found over the years Dr's are usually sympathetic to more than just physical needs. ;)

Which sound dramatic "in fear for you life" but that is the crux of the matter, at the heart of @Emmett7 dilemma trust in the government guide lines. Remind me again what those guidelines are for diabetics eating habits. Even with scientific data and medical experts to advise, they follow the old Dogma.

I'm not government bashing or conspiracy mongering. Just putting forward my opinion if you are in fear for you life, its up to you to ultimately choose not to put your life at risk.

On the subject of risk assessment, I real did not come in here with a soap box I promise but one has just been placed at my feet it would be rude not to.
My Local Corner Shop
  • At one end of the shop is a Post Office separated from the customers by a plexiglass wall only one member of staff at a time can work behind the counter at a time to stay with in the 2 meter guide lines. for social distancinag.
  • At the other end of the same shop (about 10m away its a small corner shop) is an other counter a 2ft plexiglass shield where 3 staff work behind a small counter in close contact to each other.
Risk assessment seems to vary a lot in 10 meters. :meh:

I wish you all the best Jon I hope your able to go back and be safe. If that is your choice I know I do I put my self at risk at present I feel it is the right decision, it is essential to others, but is a decision that I am constantly reevaluating.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jon,

I’m in exactly the same boat and just logged in to see if there was any advice. Type 1, 31 years, secondary teacher coming into contact with hundreds of kids every day if you hear anything from school please update and I’ll do the same.

In the first few days of virus, it was like if you have diabetes, go home now! Which then seemingly vanished with the ‘shielding’ for ‘extremely’ vulnerable. The fact that it’s unclear is starting to worry me. Is it because there is such a huge Type 2 population that it would cause further chaos with so many still off work? Did they just get it wrong? I understand the argument that if you are well-controlled T1 then you ‘should’ (?) be fine but what about the theories that viruses cause autoimmune diabetes/ other conditions? I also have autoimmune under-active thyroid but I don’t want to ruin my career (especially as only second year in new school) making things difficult for others and more than awkward for myself. I wish there was clear guidance just saying yes or no should there be a phased return to school. Rant over. Will follow the thread.

Thanks a lot,
Dee

Reactions: ert

SarahGJ

Hi Jon and Dee
I’m also in the same situation. Type 1, 46 years old, been a science teacher in a huge school with over 2000 students for 20 years . I miss teaching so much and would love to be back in the classroom but I am so scared to risk my health. If I have to give up my career I would be devastated but also obviously health comes first. I have no guidance from school but if I do I’ll post.
I will also follow the thread
Thank you
Sarah

Reactions: London36_

Emmett7

Hi Jon,

I’m in exactly the same boat and just logged in to see if there was any advice. Type 1, 31 years, secondary teacher coming into contact with hundreds of kids every day if you hear anything from school please update and I’ll do the same.

In the first few days of virus, it was like if you have diabetes, go home now! Which then seemingly vanished with the ‘shielding’ for ‘extremely’ vulnerable. The fact that it’s unclear is starting to worry me. Is it because there is such a huge Type 2 population that it would cause further chaos with so many still off work? Did they just get it wrong? I understand the argument that if you are well-controlled T1 then you ‘should’ (?) be fine but what about the theories that viruses cause autoimmune diabetes/ other conditions? I also have autoimmune under-active thyroid but I don’t want to ruin my career (especially as only second year in new school) making things difficult for others and more than awkward for myself. I wish there was clear guidance just saying yes or no should there be a phased return to school. Rant over. Will follow the thread.

Thanks a lot,
Dee
Thanks Dee

Reactions: London36_

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad I found this question - thank you. I’ve been type 1 for 44 years and also have an under active thyroid and coeliac disease. I’m the library manager in a big secondary school with an HBA1c lurking around 7.3. I was told to go home initially and work doing whatever. Our school is old and ‘grubby’ at best. I’m currently in a bit of battle with my employer as he contravened my rights by trying to sack me for time off (with a sick note )with diabetes related matters, including appointments or very occasional seizures ( am also epileptic on medication ). The union want me to launch a grievance for bullying but to be honest I don’t want the stress. Anyway.....that aside I want to feel confident that measures are in place before I go back. There’s no hand wash and the water in the taps is too hot for a 20 second wash. I’d like to be back but am also not confident that the government are sending the right message to employers about diabetics. My boss said I wasn’t employable due to me potentially having ‘funny do’s’ ( not that funny ) so I don’t want to give him the opportunity to sack me over this. Thank you - stay safe x

Emmett7

Update: this morning I have been sent a RA by the Local Authority I work for. In the RA it is unequivocal that anyone with diabetes should continue to work at home (obviously this is a local measure and not a national measure but I imagine the RA being used will be universal amongst schools). Jon

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Update: this morning I have been sent a RA by the Local Authority I work for. In the RA it is unequivocal that anyone with diabetes should continue to work at home (obviously this is a local measure and not a national measure but I imagine the RA being used will be universal amongst schools). Jon

Thanks Jon, sorry what is a RA? Is there a way you could link / copy here? My school is independent and they’ve asked us today to email if we think we won’t be able to work in June but I’ve not replied yet.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jon, sorry what is a RA? Is there a way you could link / copy here? My school is independent and they’ve asked us today to email if we think we won’t be able to work in June but I’ve not replied yet.

'Risk Assessment'. x