Retinal screening

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the Netherlands the standard is every 2 years and more often if there is reason to suspect problems.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Us type 1's have it yearly in the UK.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Except this year, mine was cancelled at the start of lockdown.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Us type 1's have it yearly in the UK.
I could be wrong, but in UK, I don't think type of diabetes has influence on frequency. Scan results certainly can though.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For myself having T1 was the reason I was screened when it first came out, and from then the reason I'm screened yearly still is length of duration, I've had a couple of times with 6 monthly screening but the bleeds self healed so I went back to yearly.

Reactions: Antje77

Dark Horse

I could be wrong, but in UK, I don't think type of diabetes has influence on frequency. Scan results certainly can though.
Yes, the default screening interval is yearly whether you are type 1, type 2 or any of the rarer types of diabetes (except gestational diabetes where screening is not necessary unless the woman converts to type 2). As you say, the results of the screening determine whether someone needs to be re-invited sooner than a year (into the digital surveillance arm of the screening programme) but in the UK, normal screening is done with retinal photography rather than with a scan.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the default screening interval is yearly whether you are type 1, type 2 or any of the rarer types of diabetes (except gestational diabetes where screening is not necessary unless the woman converts to type 2). As you say, the results of the screening determine whether someone needs to be re-invited sooner than a year (into the digital surveillance arm of the screening programme) but in the UK, normal screening is done with retinal photography rather than with a scan.

Thanks for confirming Dark Horse.

Reactions: Dark Horse