Changing to an SGLT2 from Metformin

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

I want to change over from Metformin to DAPAGLIFLOZIN. I have currently been on Metformin for about 5 weeks

I have just read Jason fungs book the diabetes code.

He says SGLT2 CANAGLIFLOZIN is good but it's not available in my country.
He doesn't mention anything about
DAPAGLIFLOZIN, however he does mention It is a good medication ( better then Metformin) and is available. I just have to get my doctor to change it over from Metformin.

Has anyone changed over? Specifically, whether starting concurrently or tapering and then starting new one. I dont want to stop the medication suddenly.

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jus455

Could you fill your profile details in, to give type of diabetes, location and so on?
It would save ppl asking you questions all the time, and would help people realise that their local healthcare suggestions may not apply to you, in whichever country you are in. Thanks. :)

The reason I ask this, is because where I am (the UK) we do not usually have a choice in the drugs we are prescribed, and although we are free to discuss the pros and cons of different drugs with our healthcare professionals, they have prescription protocols and pathways that mean our medication is not really a matter of negotiation (in most cases).

Reactions: Jus455

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just updated now
Brill - thanks :)

It looks (on my screen) as though you are an insulin dependent T2?
We have a glitch on the forum software that makes this show for some accounts.
The insulin status thing only shows like this for some members, and we (the techs) have tried to eliminate it, but it has proven v elusive!

The work around is for you to go back into the settings, and select the other T2 option from the one you have currently got chosen.

Hope that helps!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on both, plus sitagliptin and gliclazide, I've not experienced any problems but some people have regular re-occurant thrush as dapa works by you peeing the excess sugar out which increase the risk if you don't drink enough. You shouln'd follow a keto diet (low carb is ok) and you have an increased risk of DKA

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started taking dapagliflozin and already peeing every 20 minutes! Blood glucose has come down quite a bit but I have been eating better. Time will tell if the meds help with blood sugar regulation.

Not sure how people sleep going to the bathroom all the time

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started taking dapagliflozin and already peeing every 20 minutes! Blood glucose has come down quite a bit but I have been eating better. Time will tell if the meds help with blood sugar regulation.

Not sure how people sleep going to the bathroom all the time
Lower carbs reduce to peeing and your body does get used to being more hydrated, I'm normally up once in the night at about 3am, but I'm one of those lucky souls who can go straight back to sleep

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very lucky.
apparently, the dapa releases sugar fron the system too.

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 10mg a day of this dapa medication.

Can I stay on this long term before it has no more effect? Apparently, 10 is the maximum

Fishey

Hi there,

I want to change over from Metformin to DAPAGLIFLOZIN. I have currently been on Metformin for about 5 weeks

I have just read Jason fungs book the diabetes code.

He says SGLT2 CANAGLIFLOZIN is good but it's not available in my country.
He doesn't mention anything about
DAPAGLIFLOZIN, however he does mention It is a good medication ( better then Metformin) and is available. I just have to get my doctor to change it over from Metformin.

Has anyone changed over? Specifically, whether starting concurrently or tapering and then starting new one. I dont want to stop the medication suddenly.

Thanks
Hi
I have just been prescribed this drug and have been taking it alongside metformin and gliczaside as my daily machine readings were over 20
This has been like a miracle drug to me and for the first time in 20 years my levels have been between 5 and 6 every day for a week
Over the moon with results I am 64 years old

Mick Davis