Diabetics R Us

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a question for all you well informed people some of you may know that I am a disaster area !! My latest disaster is that I dropped my hearing aid in the fire !!!! It was a national health one and so was free to me.Can anyone tell me approximately now much it will cost for a new one if I can ever get to see the hearing aids man !
Carol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a question for all you well informed people some of you may know that I am a disaster area !! My latest disaster is that I dropped my hearing aid in the fire !!!! It was a national health one and so was free to me.Can anyone tell me approximately now much it will cost for a new one if I can ever get to see the hearing aids man !
Carol
The price of hearling aids varies a lot, depending on what kind of hearing aids you use. But I found this on an NHS hospital website: https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/audiology/audiology-services/lost-or-damaged-hearing-aids-and-earmoulds. I would give your audiologist a call/e-mail first, it may be you'll get it replaced.

Good luck!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for that I have bookmarked the link and I will ring the audiologist and see if it is open during this pandemic
Carol

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carol
My understanding is that NHS has contracted out audiology in some areas. My area uses Specsavers. Not sure about yours. Are these links any use?

https://www.westlancashireccg.nhs.u...0s-in-lancashire-and-south-cumbria-announced/

https://www.nhs.uk/Services/clinics/Services/Service/DefaultView.aspx?id=322267

I think the cost if you have to pay would start at around £500. If so, could you claim on home insurance?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a perennial problem with ear wax due to inheriting my dad's very narrow ear canals. In the old days I used to have them syringed at the GP surgery, but they stopped doing it a few years ago. My GP recommended a local private audiologist, and that is where I now go. I am now in desperate need of her. Of course, she had to close down when lockdown happened. She is re-opening on the 16th June and I managed to book an appointment with her on that day. Her clinic is located in a local leisure place. She sent me the following email:

To try to give you some reassurance,
I am / have been isolating at home in the anticipation of re starting. The gym remains closed and the other two businesses up stair have not re started. There are some refurbs going on in the rear gym, so there may be an electrician but otherwise we will be the only ones in the building..

We will both be wearing FFP2 fluid resistant masks ( I will provide)

I additionally will be wearing a visor, gloves & apron.

I will initially use a wireless camera to inspect the ears, so will be at arms length.

There is an additional screen/visor which is attached to the microscope to separate us during ear wax removal proceedure.

We have had to implement a strict protocol due to the nature and proximity of the procedures.

I will send over the consent form and pre appointment triage questions, If I could ask that you respond in advance of the appointment.

The triage questions all relate to Covid - have I had it, have I any symptoms (the symptoms all listed), same for anyone else in my household, am I or anyone else in the household shielding. Etc etc etc.

I am very well re-assured that it will be as safe as possible, but have no idea how I will manage with the mask.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802 I am glad you have been able to get an appointment with your audiologist. I have problems with earwax too. Too much of the stuff!

I hope you will be OK wearing the mask. Will it help if you call and ask her about it? What it looks like, what it is like to wear, what it feels like? I Googled FFP2 fluid resistant masks and all I saw was this:
https://www.ansell.com/sv/en/products/sandel-respiratory-face-masks

There is a picture of a mask on that site. Sometimes I feel better if I know what to expect. Sometimes. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Hotpepper20000

We have to wear masks here for anything that we can’t do 2 meters apart. I go for Phyisio I have to wear one. I find it easier to know how long I’ll be there and I can prepare for that.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have managed to pad the sharp corners of my new steel bed frame so my cat won't bang her head or cut herself on the steel edges should she decide to creep under the bed.
Now I need some ideas for some sort of padded plastic/rubber sleeve to cover the brace that runs across the middle of the frame under the bed. Most of the length of the brace is OK but the edges on the two ends are rough and sharp.
If any of you have any ideas for some material I could use that slide onto the brace, please post them! :) Doesn't have to be pretty. I used thick terry washcloths for the corners and tied them in place with string. But there's no way to keep washcloths and string in place on the brace.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have managed to pad the sharp corners of my new steel bed frame so my cat won't bang her head or cut herself on the steel edges should she decide to creep under the bed.
Now I need some ideas for some sort of padded plastic/rubber sleeve to cover the brace that runs across the middle of the frame under the bed. Most of the length of the brace is OK but the edges on the two ends are rough and sharp.
If any of you have any ideas for some material I could use that slide onto the brace, please post them! :) Doesn't have to be pretty. I used thick terry washcloths for the corners and tied them in place with string. But there's no way to keep washcloths and string in place on the brace.

Pipe lagging.?
No need to dismantle the frame of the bed..

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.S. I just Googled pipe lagging. It is sort of what I thought it might be. Good idea. There are a couple of stores in town that might carry it. Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @Jaylee. I can't dismantle the frame. What is pipe lagging?
Comes in various diameters. Primarily used as a "winter coat" to stop pipes freezing? Split end to end to fit straight over.
Could be held in place with electrical or "Gaffer" tape?

Here is an example..

th.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How is everyone doing?

We are doing OK apart from fuming at all the idiots having street parties, raves, going to demonstrations, and the half million on Bournemouth beach today, ignoring all the guidelines and potentially causing a second wave of the virus.

I mentioned the other week about my ear problem. I went to the audiologist (private one) and went back again today for her to try to get the wax that was wrapped round the drum. It had softened enough for her to clear it. She was very safety conscious. Full PPE including face visor, contactless card payment, sanitiser and fluid resistant surgical mask for me. She sanitised her own hands over her thin gloves every single time she touched anything. Brilliant. Even more brilliant, my next door neighbour can now listen to her own TV rather than hear mine!!!

Hotpepper20000

No problem,

I used the stuff myself on the edges of a low sloping roof on a small Alpine style wooden shed, years ago..?

My elderly mother kept catching her head on the corners...
It’s also great for coffee tables and fire place mantles so kids don’t bang into them.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How is everyone doing?

We are doing OK apart from fuming at all the idiots having street parties, raves, going to demonstrations, and the half million on Bournemouth beach today, ignoring all the guidelines and potentially causing a second wave of the virus.

I mentioned the other week about my ear problem. I went to the audiologist (private one) and went back again today for her to try to get the wax that was wrapped round the drum. It had softened enough for her to clear it. She was very safety conscious. Full PPE including face visor, contactless card payment, sanitiser and fluid resistant surgical mask for me. She sanitised her own hands over her thin gloves every single time she touched anything. Brilliant. Even more brilliant, my next door neighbour can now listen to her own TV rather than hear mine!!!

Great news about your successful session with the audiologist. It sounds like a very safe place and procedure. I am so glad you came through it well.
Now if only I could refer my next door neighbor to your audiologist ... ! :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem,

I used the stuff myself on the edges of a low sloping roof on a small Alpine style wooden shed, years ago..?

My elderly mother kept catching her head on the corners...

Oh dear, hugs to her! I used to often bang my head on the roof of my car, never when getting in or out, but often when reaching in to unload something. OW!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news about your successful session with the audiologist. It sounds like a very safe place and procedure. I am so glad you came through it well.
Now if only I could refer my next door neighbor to your audiologist ... ! :)

Since I seem to be on a "roll." Recommend headphones to the neighbour. (There are some decent wireless ones that can suit a budget.)
On Eroupean camp sites, (with the RVs.) I've noticed satellite TV in the evening with viewers using these devices.. Though, in this scenario just camping. I prefer no gadgets...

I like my Rock & roll, punk, metal in my face but wouldn't subject my elderly opera loving nextdoors to it.
Though I'm not impartial to some classic opera myself.. (My dad was also a massive fan.) ;)

Oh dear, hugs to her! I used to often bang my head on the roof of my car, never when getting in or out, but often when reaching in to unload something. OW!!!

Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers a while back. (A few years back.) My sister cares for her "in house." (My sister's house.)
I spend time looking after our mum on location with proffessional carers also looking in whilst my sister takes a break with her family..
My mum laughs at my cooking, which is great, because we both share the same dark sense of humour. Lol, my younger sister does not.

You notice more if you don't stand around watching the "grass grow." I don't feel my mum's Alzheimers has actually "progressed." I have discovered more a "teenage" rock & roll side with my mum, than a "second childhood?"
Though, now I'm meant to be the "responsible" adult...

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My neighbor doesn't have her TV on long at all, and whenever it keeps me from being able to think, I just turn on YouTube and play either Schubert or Beethoven or the Stones or the Eagles a little too loud for my liking. Just to hint that "If you can hear mine, I can hears yours." Just for a few bars.

I am sorry to hear about your mum but y'all's cooking sense of humor and liking for rock music sounds really nice.