Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Recommend headphones to the neighbour

I bought myself some Bluetooth earphones off Amazon quite cheap but amazing sound wife liked them so much ended up getting her a set then found grandson was using mine more than I was so I bought a set for him and reclaimed mine.

Having to buy three sets was a little more expensive than I had anticipated when I bought the first set for myself. :)

Edit not in the ear earphones but over ear headsets

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 glad the ears are sorted. I agree re the number of visitors going to Bournemouth some of whom had traveled for 2-3 hours to get there - why?? I live near the coast but tended to stay away on a sunny day pre-covid - only visiting for a walk in the evenings when it’s quieter so I have no intention of going at the moment - judging from what my SIL said about the traffic going along the coast road it would be too busy to be safe.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Talking about ears and hearing loss made me wonder if my war pensioner registration card could be replaced as it was lost in one of the many moves we have made over the years. (my service in the RAF gave me tinnitus and hearing loss )

Not that it would make a huge difference but it's part of my history so I have Emailed the MOD to ask, they will probably say you what no way. But you never know.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking about ears and hearing loss made me wonder if my war pensioner registration card could be replaced as it was lost in one of the many moves we have made over the years. (my service in the RAF gave me tinnitus and hearing loss )

Not that it would make a huge difference but it's part of my history so I have Emailed the MOD to ask, they will probably say you what no way. But you never know.

I found the MOD very obliging. I sent for and received my dad's WW2 army service records, which were free of charge because my mum (his widow) was still alive at the time. Otherwise I would have had to pay for them.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought myself some Bluetooth earphones off Amazon quite cheap but amazing sound wife liked them so much ended up getting her a set then found grandson was using mine more than I was so I bought a set for him and reclaimed mine.

Having to buy three sets was a little more expensive than I had anticipated when I bought the first set for myself. :)

Edit not in the ear earphones but over ear headsets

That is the kind I preferred back when I had a good stereo system. I remember wanting Koss headphones, as well as Bose speakers. I did have a great pair of Fisher speakers. Huge things, they made great end tables!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bluetit1802 glad the ears are sorted. I agree re the number of visitors going to Bournemouth some of whom had traveled for 2-3 hours to get there - why?? I live near the coast but tended to stay away on a sunny day pre-covid - only visiting for a walk in the evenings when it’s quieter so I have no intention of going at the moment - judging from what my SIL said about the traffic going along the coast road it would be too busy to be safe.

I am sorry that you aren't able to enjoy your own local beaches. But I am grateful for your reminder about living near the sea. I keep thinking I would love to live there, as I love the sea and the coast. But I do not like crowds at all, nor do I like the holiday-season hike in prices at the local stores. I experienced that one year during tourist season when I lived in Nashville and it made a fairly nice city almost unaffordable for all but the many millionaires.

Between hurricanes, and holiday crowds, I know I would not like living at the beach at all. I am sorry the crowds put the locals at risk.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry that you aren't able to enjoy your own local beaches. But I am grateful for your reminder about living near the sea. I keep thinking I would love to live there, as I love the sea and the coast. But I do not like crowds at all, nor do I like the holiday-season hike in prices at the local stores. I experienced that one year during tourist season when I lived in Nashville and it made a fairly nice city almost unaffordable for all but the many millionaires.

Between hurricanes, and holiday crowds, I know I would not like living at the beach at all. I am sorry the crowds put the locals at risk.
Living in the West Country there are a lot of places that we tend not to visit at week-ends or only in the evening. Luckily I reduced my working days from 5 to 3 last year so when places are fully open again we’ll be able to visit them during the week when it’s less busy - apart from the school holidays!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I miss Devon and living by the sea so much at times I now live 80 miles from the nearest beach ( Mablethorpe) and it's not a drive I care to make on a regular basis I also miss days spent out on Dartmoor nearly every weekend.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was born by the sea and lived there for 28 years, eventually moving 35 miles inland to the countryside. I prefer the countryside, although we do enjoy trips to the sea from time to time.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To me, living within 80 miles of the sea would seem like heaven -- except that 80 miles inland is still close enough to the coast for hurricane destruction. But to be close enough to make day trips, or weekend trips, would be so nice.
I have never lived closer than a 5 hours' drive from the beach.

I do live in the country now.

And oh, yes -- school holidays! :( They disrupt everyone's lives. I know the kids love them -- I certainly did when I was a kid -- but in recent years the kids always seem to be getting days off, and half days, and teacher work days, and with both parents working they roam the libraries and grocery stores and sidewalks in small gangs -- fortunately, where I have lived, unarmed gangs.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss Devon and living by the sea so much at times I now live 80 miles from the nearest beach ( Mablethorpe) and it's not a drive I care to make on a regular basis I also miss days spent out on Dartmoor nearly every weekend.
We used to go to Dartmoor as children and we were often frightened by Dartmoor Prison looming in the mist! I’m lucky to have Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantocks within 1-2 hours drive.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to go to Dartmoor as children and we were often frightened by Dartmoor Prison looming in the mist! I’m lucky to have Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantocks within 1-2 hours drive.

Oh, my, I'd have been scared by that too! To say nothing of the Hound of the Baskervilles.
I think I would love to go wandering on Dartmoor and Exmoor because of the ponies, though ... although I know well the risks of being a human wandering among loose horses -- do the ponies get close enough to crowd the humans? or are they pretty wary?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh, my, I'd have been scared by that too! To say nothing of the Hound of the Baskervilles.
I think I would love to go wandering on Dartmoor and Exmoor because of the ponies, though ... although I know well the risks of being a human wandering among loose horses -- do the ponies get close enough to crowd the humans? or are they pretty wary?

My father many moons ago refused to give one his ice cream cornet the pony kicked him so hard he flew ten or fifteen feet away from where he had been stood they are basically wild but do not give you too much trouble mostly,

We went to the Dartmoor Prison museum/visitor center a couple of years ago was quite interesting but we were unable to go into the American Cemetery where many of the prisoners of war taken during the war of independence are buried.

I used to work for Rank Bush Murphy Dartmoor prisoners used to manufacture television sub-assemblies sometimes I used to go into the prison to teach the prisoners soldering and assembly work.

My mother's Family came from Brendon village and the Doone Valley area my great grand father used to ride the wild ponies on Exmoor when a lad a very dangerous pastime I think.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We went to the Dartmoor Prison museum/visitor center a couple of years ago was quite interesting
I never went anywhere close to it, but my aunt went there last year and bought me a cool t-shirt: "On day release from H. M. Prison Dartmoor", with the distinctive arrows. She always buys me a shirt on her travels, very nice!

The shirt prompted me to look up some of the history on the prison, very interesting.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To me, living within 80 miles of the sea would seem like heaven -- except that 80 miles inland is still close enough to the coast for hurricane destruction. But to be close enough to make day trips, or weekend trips, would be so nice.
I have never lived closer than a 5 hours' drive from the beach.

I do live in the country now.

And oh, yes -- school holidays! :( They disrupt everyone's lives. I know the kids love them -- I certainly did when I was a kid -- but in recent years the kids always seem to be getting days off, and half days, and teacher work days, and with both parents working they roam the libraries and grocery stores and sidewalks in small gangs -- fortunately, where I have lived, unarmed gangs.

It isn't just school holidays when kids roam the supermarkets and pavements. In my day we were at school until 4-20pm then straight home. Nowadays schools throw them out at 3pm. They head straight for the shops to buy sweets, crisps, chips and so forth, then hang about in groups. It is a rule of ours that we never go to the supermarket closest to the schools at throwing out time. Of course at the moment, senior schools are closed anyway due to the virus apart from children of key workers, so the town is much quieter, but the younger ones are playing out in the residential streets instead.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It isn't just school holidays when kids roam the supermarkets and pavements. In my day we were at school until 4-20pm then straight home. Nowadays schools throw them out at 3pm. They head straight for the shops to buy sweets, crisps, chips and so forth, then hang about in groups. It is a rule of ours that we never go to the supermarket closest to the schools at throwing out time. Of course at the moment, senior schools are closed anyway due to the virus apart from children of key workers, so the town is much quieter, but the younger ones are playing out in the residential streets instead.
I like school holidays it means less traffic on the road when I drive Judith to work and a ten minute drive doesn't take half an hour.:)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was born by the sea and lived there for 28 years, eventually moving 35 miles inland to the countryside. I prefer the countryside, although we do enjoy trips to the sea from time to time.
I’ve got the best of both worlds - live on the edge of the Somerset levels in a rural village about 6 mikes from the coast.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’ve got the best of both worlds - live on the edge of the Somerset levels in a rural village about 6 mikes from the coast.

LOL ! How long is the average Mike?