Stress related high BGL and alarming retinal scan

krisclelland

Hi all,

I am a British citizen living in Sydney and got my annual retinal screen today and for the first time it came back with damage to both eyes; swelling on right eye and bleeding on left, so have to get cataracts looked at in both eyes - alarming at age 34.

My BGL are normally OK, not amazing as I do a lot of different sports and have had a couple of scares with lows so tend to try to keep on the slightly higher side as a precaution. Recently my wife and I both lost our jobs through COVID, and have just settled on a house in Sydney, and for those who know Aus house prices, over the past month this has stressed me to the point of sleeping 10-15 hours per week, and BGLs are scarily high due to this.

Is there anything, exercise, food, nutrition, meditation etc wise that anyone would recommend to keep my BGL in check or keep them down as I'm also petrified to take more insulin when stressed.

Thanks all
Kris

Reactions: lawrensh

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

I am a British citizen living in Sydney and got my annual retinal screen today and for the first time it came back with damage to both eyes; swelling on right eye and bleeding on left, so have to get cataracts looked at in both eyes - alarming at age 34.

My BGL are normally OK, not amazing as I do a lot of different sports and have had a couple of scares with lows so tend to try to keep on the slightly higher side as a precaution. Recently my wife and I both lost our jobs through COVID, and have just settled on a house in Sydney, and for those who know Aus house prices, over the past month this has stressed me to the point of sleeping 10-15 hours per week, and BGLs are scarily high due to this.

Is there anything, exercise, food, nutrition, meditation etc wise that anyone would recommend to keep my BGL in check or keep them down as I'm also petrified to take more insulin when stressed.

Thanks all
Kris

Hi Kris, and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you and your wife have hit one of life's rough patches to say the least. I read your comment about insulin, does this mean that you're a Type 1 diabetic or a Type 2 with insulin? Just asking as might affect the advice you get.

Regards
Urb'

Reactions: lawrensh

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
can't help with the insulin advice but will say good grief you're going through a tough patch, yikes! Lots of info coming out about quite how impactful covid is on mental health so you're not alone, do get support if at all possible. It won't fix the cause but will help you "cope" (I hate that word).