UK to privatise health service which could put diabetics at risk of deaths

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the UK Parliament official Twitter account, the majority of the MPs in Parliament have blocked New Clause 17, a bill designed to protect the NHS from outside country interference.

This means that our government is might sell off our NHS, presumably to the USA.

This means we will end up having to pay MONEY for our medication. Potentially thousands JUST for a life-saving drug, like many Americans have to do today.

This is going to cause so many unnecessary deaths, deaths that could have been prevented.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Political scaremongering on Twitter? Surely not.
The government has bought up vast swathes of private capacity to deal with the virus so I would suggest the trend is in the other direction.
However given the backlog caused by the lock down those who can afford it may well choose to go private so we may end up with a 2 tier system in any case. Not that a private health insurer wants to go near diabetes!
We have chucked the weekly equivalent of 3 new hospitals weekly into the cost of lockdown so I am afraid that unless we can get growth going very strongly (note the disappearance of the V shaped recovery) then we will start to notice more rationing. Not now but in the next 3-4 years .

grumpy1918

According to the UK Parliament official Twitter account, the majority of the MPs in Parliament have blocked New Clause 17, a bill designed to protect the NHS from outside country interference.

This means that our government is might sell off our NHS, presumably to the USA.

This means we will end up having to pay MONEY for our medication. Potentially thousands JUST for a life-saving drug, like many Americans have to do today.

This is going to cause so many unnecessary deaths, deaths that could have been prevented.
Yet another scaremonger, who just posts without checking, there is no intention to privatise the NHS, the amendment was voted done, as I understand,as it was irrelevant to the bill going through Parliament, Please don’t post this sort of thing as it can and does cause a lot of unnecessary concern confusion and worry to people

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should have said "might". More likely they would outsource specific services and do deals for the NHS to buy American drugs.
Is that a good thing, though? For example, HIV medication Tenofovir/Emtricitabine (branded Truvada) is still patented in the US and costs about $2000 for a month's course. Meanwhile, generics with the same active ingredients cost about £20 a month in the UK. I'm concerned that US organisations will try to bring with them an exclusive use of those expensive, still US patented drugs, vastly increasing the costs to the NHS and the taxpayer and the money going straight to the US pharmaceutical giants. Or worse still, that a trade deal will outlaw the import of the generics, leaving the expensive US patented drugs as the only option.

Disclosure here: I'm a user of PrEP (supplied and monitored by the NHS, or at least Virgincare on their behalf) which is where you take Truvada to provide almost 100% immunity to HIV, rather than as a treatment once you're infected. NHS England has been dragging its heels for years, stretching out a 'trial' that basically limited access to the drug, and kept it from many people in the risk groups that would benefit from it. They've finally agreed that the benefits in preventing the spread of HIV outweigh the costs, but if the drug ends up costing nearly 100 times as much as it does now, they will almost certainly have to start rationing it again.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that a good thing, though? For example, HIV medication Tenofovir/Emtricitabine (branded Truvada) is still patented in the US and costs about $2000 for a month's course. Meanwhile, generics with the same active ingredients cost about £20 a month in the UK. I'm concerned that US organisations will try to bring with them an exclusive use of those expensive, still US patented drugs, vastly increasing the costs to the NHS and the taxpayer and the money going straight to the US pharmaceutical giants. Or worse still, that a trade deal will outlaw the import of the generics, leaving the expensive US patented drugs as the only option.

Disclosure here: I'm a user of PrEP (supplied and monitored by the NHS, or at least Virgincare on their behalf) which is where you take Truvada to provide almost 100% immunity to HIV, rather than as a treatment once you're infected. NHS England has been dragging its heels for years, stretching out a 'trial' that basically limited access to the drug, and kept it from many people in the risk groups that would benefit from it. They've finally agreed that the benefits in preventing the spread of HIV outweigh the costs, but if the drug ends up costing nearly 100 times as much as it does now, they will almost certainly have to start rationing it again.
It is certainly not a good thing and I didn't suggest it was. The Tories claim the NHS is safe but when there is an amendment to put that into law they whip their MPs to vote it down. However the OP's suggestion that they were going to sell off the NHS was speculation presented as fact. (The post has now been edited by the OP).

Reactions: Nicole T

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is certainly not a good thing and I didn't suggest it was. The Tories claim the NHS is safe but when there is an amendment to put that into law they whip their MPs to vote it down. However the OP's suggestion that they were going to sell off the NHS was speculation presented as fact. (The post has now been edited by the OP).
Agreed. I could have worded it better. Maybe I should have asked whether that scenario was any better.

From the perspective of outsourcing, it's already going on. I don't see how it makes much difference if US companies are allowed to tender for contracts on the same basis as UK ones. If anything, it just adds competition to the market, which is likely to bring down costs. I do worry what's coming in through the back door. Expensive patented US drugs being one of my major concerns. I also worry about impartiality. When a consultant, doctor or nurse is employed by a third party company, are they being instructed to push that company's treatments (that it can profit from) rather than ones that might be better suited to your case, or more cost effective for the NHS?

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Yet another scaremonger, who just posts without checking, there is no intention to privatise the NHS, the amendment was voted done, as I understand,as it was irrelevant to the bill going through Parliament, Please don’t post this sort of thing as it can and does cause a lot of unnecessary concern confusion and worry to people
Scaremongering? Unfortunately NOT. Project fear is now project fact. MP's voted down legal bid to protect the NHS from US/UK deal. There is a reason why NONE of the other 27 EU states even want a referendum, even the right winged countries. They dont want to sacrifice their standard, their healthcare etc etc.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nicole T - I'm not going to comment on whether the NHS is under threat of sell-off, but will comment that the NHS's pharmaceutical negotiations have not always yielded good deals.

One such example would be Liotyronine. The NHS pays £9 per tablet for 20mcgr Liothyronine. The NHS only buys one strength of Liothyronine, so anyone being prescribed it, as eye-watering costs, will be investing in a pill cutting device, unless they are taking 20mcgr, or multiples thereof, per day I could buy it, over the counter, from a reputable pharmacy, overseas, for the equivalent of £70 for 150 tablets, each containing 25mcgr.

My Liothyronie costs the NHS £504 per month. (28 x 18, as I take 40mcgr a day).

Many, many people, in UK, are simply refused Liothyronine, on the basis of cost, and abandoned to survive on the much cheaper Levothyroxine, which for some, like me, just doesn't cut the mustard.

Our NHS is a wonderful thing, and I am grateful for it every day, but aspects of it are significantly boring. Whoever thought the Liothyronine deal was commercially acceptable needs to be shot, or deployed in another, more benign, role.

Reactions: Nicole T

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tthis morning, looking at our village Facebook page, I noticed this attached to another member's post. Dr Luke Evans (former GP, whose wife is still a working GP) is our local MP.

It was originally posted about 3 days ago, but I've only just seen it.

115803619_1652652271566739_7650088360402081892_n.jpg

Reactions: porl69

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: trishmacgregor

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr_Pot - You will note that I posted no view on the veracity or otherwise of that quoted content, any more that I'll comment on the content of yours .

I don't believe this is a place for politicisation, although we can all fall foul from time to time.
I didn't post a view either, it's good to hear both sides of the argument surely?